Options

flashdrive safe removal

malcommalcom Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have I little irritant mystery when using a flash dive with windows 8.1 photo app video trim software. Having completed a trim of a video I then close the photo app window down by the "x" in the right hand corner.

However when I come to safely remove the flash drive I get a message "cannot safely remove because it is being used by another program. In the end I just have to unplug it as the message goes on time and time again.

Question is how do I properly shut down the photo app so the safely remove option allows a safe removal. ????

I also get this problem when shutting the computer down after using the photo app. Shut down temporarily stops to allow me to finish some work option. After a few seconds though windows usualy shuts down anyhow without me having to select override and shut down.

What am I doing wrong shutdown wise when using that app. ???

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly nothing. On the other hand is there an Exit, Close or Quit button or menu option anywhere in the app? It is always possible that the app is leaving some part of itself running in the background and not fully shutting down.

You could try opening Task Manager and see if the app is listed there and end it by clicking on the entry then clicking the End Task button that then appears.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Process Explorer will let you see every open file throughout the whole system, and should help you identify what is keeping an open handle to your flash drive.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Possibly nothing. On the other hand is there an Exit, Close or Quit button or menu option anywhere in the app? It is always possible that the app is leaving some part of itself running in the background and not fully shutting down.

You could try opening Task Manager and see if the app is listed there and end it by clicking on the entry then clicking the End Task button that then appears.

Thank you. No there is no exit or close or quit button. Just the "x" in the corner. Its on windows 8.1

Also forgive my ignorance but where do I find "task manager on windows 8.1
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcom wrote: »
    Thank you. No there is no exit or close or quit button. Just the "x" in the corner. Its on windows 8.1

Also forgive my ignorance but where do I find "task manager on windows 8.1
    Take your pick :)

http://www.7tutorials.com/7-ways-launch-task-manager-windows-8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

Thanks. Spoilt for choice now. :)
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A USB key drive is temporary, you should not be using it to Edit and Save anything directly. You do that on the Hard Drive and then copy it to the USB key.

That is what it is telling you and the cause of the error messages.

A separate issue is when you close an App it doesn't, it stays in the background and you get a message when closing down Windows 8.1. That's MS for you it says Apps use no resources so doesn't close them....only when big G MS says so....

Task Manager is in the Start Menu, Right Click the Window Icon.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    A USB key drive is temporary, you should not be using it to Edit and Save anything directly. You do that on the Hard Drive and then copy it to the USB key.

That is what it is telling you and the cause of the error messages.

A separate issue is when you close an App it doesn't, it stays in the background and you get a message when closing down Windows 8.1. That's MS for you it says Apps use no resources so doesn't close them....only when big G MS says so....

Task Manager is in the Start Menu, Right Click the Window Icon.

Thank you. Problem is the software does not appear to give me a choice of using the hard drive. Had it done so I would not be using the backup files on myl flash drive. Only external device shows up. No list to select otherwise
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a relatively slow flash drive, and it's a large video file you are saving to it, then that operation will take a good number of seconds.
    And closing the program/app that you were using won't stop the save operation if it's already been started.

However, if you are sure all interaction with the flash drive has finished (no flashing LEDs) then it should be safe to just pull the drive, although it's always better to use the 'safely remove' utility if possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    If you have a relatively slow flash drive, and it's a large video file you are saving to it, then that operation will take a good number of seconds.
    And closing the program/app that you were using won't stop the save operation if it's already been started.

However, if you are sure all interaction with the flash drive has finished (no flashing LEDs) then it should be safe to just pull the drive, although it's always better to use the 'safely remove' utility if possible.

Thank you. No they are not large files. So that shouldn't be the problem. When the problem occurs seems to be hit and miss. Just before I came back on line I did a bit more video trimming but this time it allowed me to remove the flash drive safely.

Hit or miss a windows puzzle at the moment as in each case I cannot see I am doing anything differerently
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Try running Ccleaner if you have it, this used to help me when I had problems using safely remove on flash drives and hard drives.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A common reason you get that error message is simply because you have file explorer still open before you try and do a safe shutdown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    A common reason you get that error message is simply because you have file explorer still open before you try and do a safe shutdown.

Makes no difference I shut everything down down to the desk top. My latest attempt at trimming in that software did result in a proper shutdown and removal of flashdrive.

So its somewhat hit and miss. sometimes I can sometimes I can't remove safely. I cannot identify anything I do different in each work session.!!!
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

That was my thought, because I usually get to files via file explorer, then double click to open them. Closing the software lease explorer still open, and often minimised.

To close apps, I use the F4 key, but that may not be an option on the OP's machine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    That was my thought, because I usually get to files via file explorer, then double click to open them. Closing the software lease explorer still open, and often minimised.

To close apps, I use the F4 key, but that may not be an option on the OP's machine.

According to my Toshiba manual the F key changes the active device what ever that means.!