Revolting Hypocrisy Of Big Brother vs Carol

Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this not one of the most obscene examples of hypocisy ever?

Carol McGiffen uses the N word while explaining a story to a fellow housemate, within earshot of nobody else, and Big Brother decides to broadcast it with a bleep. Then when calling Carol to the diary room Big Brother repeats the same word to Carol when repeating the conversation and it is allowed to go out on air uncensored for all to hear...from the mouth of Big Brother itself, in a way it was not from Carol!

Why was Carol's use of the word censored, yet Big Brother's use of the word fully broadcast? WHY?

Carol McGiffen has done nothing wrong at all. Big Brother / producers have committed a huge wrong and made a massive hypocrisy, for whatever strange motives they may be trying to stoke up. :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, they could've easily just not aired Carol's comment and nothing and no one would be offended, but instead they air Big Brother's unsensored version to millions of viewers, thus causing offence. They really didn't think that through.:rolleyes:
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dishpop wrote: »
    Yeah, they could've easily just not aired Carol's comment and nothing and no one would be offended, but instead they air Big Brother's unsensored version to millions of viewers, thus causing offence. They really didn't think that through.:rolleyes:

Precisely! Big Brother have deliberately decided to offend themselves by their own actions. It's that simple. Carol did nothing wrong at all. Big Brother decided to show the exchange between Carole and Louie. Nobody else heard the chat between the two of them. She was simply forwarding a well known factual story about somebody else, and no more than that.

Offended by Carol, no. Offended by Big Brother, absolutely.

Big Brother are the ones here who have caused massive offence, not simply by use of the N word aloud, but more by the staggering hypocrisy they have displayed. Why have they done this? Do they want a race row? Very foolish.
  • Janet_HadfieldJanet_Hadfield Posts: 1,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother should get a formal warning.
  • MiniMeTooMiniMeToo Posts: 17,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Is this not one of the most obscene examples of hypocisy ever?

Carol McGiffen uses the N word while explaining a story to a fellow housemate, within earshot of nobody else, and Big Brother decides to broadcast it with a bleep. Then when calling Carol to the diary room Big Brother repeats the same word to Carol when repeating the conversation and it is allowed to go out on air uncensored for all to hear...from the mouth of Big Brother itself, in a way it was not from Carol!

Why was Carol's use of the word censored, yet Big Brother's use of the word fully broadcast? WHY?

Carol McGiffen has done nothing wrong at all. Big Brother / producers have committed a huge wrong and made a massive hypocrisy, for whatever strange motives they may be trying to stoke up. :mad:

she could have used just the letter N to get her point across, but no, she had to use the word for an effect, nothing more.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Big Brother seems to be pretty inconsistent regarding formal warnings. They issued a few in BB14 but we only got to see Hazel's.
  • jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    I would say they aired it to inform why they gave the warning.
    Should have aired Carol saying it too, it was nearly 11pm for god sake. Should have been a strong language warning before the final part
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MiniMeToo wrote: »
    she could have used just the letter N to get her point across, but no, she had to use the word for an effect, nothing more.

Having done so, can anyone offer a decent explanation why they bleeped her use of the word out while moments later allowing Big Brother's use of the word to go out? It's as illogical as it is hypocritical.

Is there a deeper reasoning behind this, or could it just be a plain old cock up?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess they are seeking publicity. No-one wants to hear the word, but they don't care.
  • ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that conversation between Carol and Louie wasn't shown last night, then I can't understand why they would air that tonight :confused:
  • jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Having done so, can anyone offer a decent explanation why they bleeped her use of the word out while moments later allowing Big Brother's use of the word to go out? It's as illogical as it is hypocritical.

Is there a deeper reasoning behind this, or could it just be a plain old cock up?

To show why they gave the warning. Not everyone would have know why they gave her one.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MiniMeToo wrote: »

As could Big Brother in that case if they have such a problem with it. The OP is right - rank hypocrisy and all done for publicity. They must think we're stupid. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    As could Big Brother in that case if they have such a problem with it. The OP is right - rank hypocrisy and all done for publicity. They must think we're stupid. :(

It pays to be deeply cynical over the reasons why this was shown tonight and why they did so in the way they did.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only think they showed it all for publicity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I think it's more hypocritical to chastise Carol for explaining the racist comment Ron made whilst simultaneously paying and giving airtime to the man in question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think red wrote: »
    I think it's more hypocritical to chastise Carol for explaining the racist comment Ron made whilst simultaneously paying and giving airtime to the man in question.

They are playing a very dangerous game here with this racism warning while having the man in question in the house. No good will ultimately come out of this for Ron I fear. I can imagine his family and friends are mortified by the fact the show has gone down this route within just the first couple of days already. He could be hung out to dry here, and looks somewhat naive about what he has walked into it appears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother seems to be pretty inconsistent regarding formal warnings. They issued a few in BB14 but we only got to see Hazel's.

I think we saw Dexter's too. However I think Carol may have been under the impression her own warning would remain private. Some have stated that she should not have accepted it and much as I tend to agree, she was not to know if, and how it would be presented on TV tonight.
  • ArtieArtie Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would have preferred that Carol hadn't said the word, even bleeped, as her explanation didn't really need it, but Big Brother's hypocrisy of repeating it unbleeped, and therefore actually causing the offense that they were formally warning her for, is astounding.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    So BB basically did the very thing she was being punished for? Do they not realise how stupid that makes them look? Surely they wouldn't use something like this as a publicity stunt?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Ron Atkinson was the man that used that word in an offensive way, and yet they're paying him lots of money to be on their show. Hypocritical. Giving Carol a formal warning for only repeating what that man had said (but bleeping it out), only for them to also repeat that word to reiterate what Carol had said (but didn't bleep it out). Hypocritical. And dumb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    So BB basically did the very thing she was being punished for? Do they not realise how stupid that makes them look? Surely they wouldn't use something like this as a publicity stunt?

I wonder who passed the "Naughty" word for broadcast on tonights show? Surely this would have to have come from outside the BB production crew themselves and from the controller or somebody at 5? Are the people we see on BBOTS typical of those who make the show? A bunch of daft, immature twentysomethings out to shock for the sake of it? Where are the wise heads?

There will be some kind of consequence I'm sure. Big Brother was the indefensible one here. They have proved to be offensive....not Carol.

As hypocrisy goes, it takes some beating!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aroreiel wrote: »
    Ron Atkinson was the man that used that word in an offensive way, and yet they're paying him lots of money to be on their show. Hypocritical. Giving Carol a formal warning for only repeating what that man had said (but bleeping it out), only for them to also repeat that word to reiterate what Carol had said (but didn't bleep it out). Hypocritical. And dumb.

I don't suppose he came cheap either, as he seems well enough off already, and the way he was left as the last housemate to be revealed shows you that he is considered by Big Brother to be the real "star" housemate, however wrong or deluded that might prove to be. It would be nice if he surprised everyone and changed perceptions generally but so far the omens are not looking promising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revolting Hypocrisy Of Big Brother vs Carol.

We can substitute Carol's name for Ron's now, after last night, seeing a 74 year old man getting a telling off like a 9 year old boy in the headmasters office.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revolting Hypocrisy Of Big Brother vs Carol.

We can substitute Carol's name for Ron's now, after last night, seeing a 74 year old man getting a telling off like a 9 year old boy in the headmasters office.

Yet it's apparently OK to be offended by the uncouth vocabulary of the geordie Charlotte in comparison, without a peep of annoyance from Big Brother in her direction. :mad:
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All for publicity nothing more! I and many others are offended by Charlottes foul mouth and infantile behaviour, but we are prudes apparently.We choose not to watch the freak show that is Geordie Shore for a reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much more offended by both the behaviour of Big Brother themselves and Charlotte's crudity, rather than the nonsense BB is issuing warnings to housemates about.