Lycamobile 'R' Above Signal Bars on S4 Mini

Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just received my new Lycamobile simple and have put it in my phone to find I have full signal but a 'R' instead of H+ above the signal bars. Is this normal?

Thanks

Comments

• wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is exactly what I experienced and could not get any 4G in an area that has very good O2 4G coverage. Not sure why it shows as roaming as LycaMobile are an O2 MVNO but a warning message is played to EE customers about charges outwith their inclusive minutes when calling some LycaMobile numbers although in fact EE don't charge! It is not normally the case that MVNOs display a roaming indicator when providing a service using a UK network although the roaming symbol should not be an issue in itself really.

I had LycaMobile refund my £12 for the UK Bundle as they could not resolve the 4G issue with their SIM. The LTE was blocked using it and no resolution appears to be available for many popular 4G handsets. I spent a considerable amount of time following this issue up with LycaMobile.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    It means your phone is roaming on the o2 network. Some phones display this.

Not sure what wavejock is on about. I think he's talking about a bundle. But then he's just presuming you have the same one I guess. I'd ignore his post.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your 4G issue Wavejock doesn't seem to be anything to do with what the OP is talking about. Maybe you could bump your existing thread if you have any updates relating to your own specific issues with Lyca?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OPs question has already been answered with some additional information that may be useful. If the OP has any further question - just post again.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wavejock just try answering the questions first instead of talking about something totally different
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the same roaming issue on my Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305) but I did indeed get 4G once I enabled data roaming & saved the APN details that Lycamobile sent me in a configuration SMS.

It would seem that *some* android phones flag the Lycamobile & Vectone mobile sim cards up as roaming even though they are on a UK network. I think this is something to do with the sim tool-kit option they have; if you take a look in your android's phone apps you should see a sim card tool-kit icon labelled as "Lycamobile" and this allows you to change the "Roaming Mode" to Automatic or Manual>in the UK.
  • erreaerrea Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    All UK networks have a 5 digit code for their network - the first 3 digits (UK = 234) are for the country and the last two digits are for network itself.

3's code is 23420 and O2s is 23410

Most MVNOs e.g. Tesco will use the same code as their parent network but those (which are not network owned) like Lyca use their own network code.

The phone sees that the (network) codes don't match and it's displays the roaming symbol. Also means having to activate data roaming on the phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The roaming indicator in itself is not a huge issue but the requirement to have data roaming enabled could be quite dangerous and result in unexpected costs. Not ideal for those who are unfamiliar with phone settings and on a limited budget.