Options

20 years since the first Playstation

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/01/playstation-20th-anniversary-sony-1994

Bloody hell :eek:

I have fond memories of Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and many more.

Also, let's not forget 'chipping' the Playstation and getting the games for a fiver :D

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing Sony's first games console being reviewed in a video games magazine back in the early '90s. Not exactly stylish.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/01/playstation-20th-anniversary-sony-1994

Bloody hell :eek:

I have fond memories of Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and many more.

Also, let's not forget 'chipping' the Playstation and getting the games for a fiver :D

Good old chipping, learnt to do my own, fun times, loved Spyro even name a cat after him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Good old chipping, learnt to do my own, fun times

What would be the point of chipping back then? Internet speeds would have been the equivalent of the very first cars. I can't see any video games shops offering pirate copies of games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    What would be the point of chipping back then? Internet speeds would have been the equivalent of the very first cars. I can't see any video games shops offering pirate copies of games.

There was always a bloke down the market selling pirated games, videos, CDs.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Games were shared between mates and copied by those who could afford a cd writer. You could also rent the game from the local newsagents and then take it back once a copy had been made.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember playing Crash Bandicoot on the ps1 like it was yesterday, ahhhh them were the days :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    I remember playing Crash Bandicoot on the ps1 like it was yesterday, ahhhh them were the days :cool:

I actually got all nostalgic and bought it on the PS Store and downloaded it to my PS3 :D
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this makes me feel old!

Got mine in '97. My nan died and left me a £500 inheritance, spent £280 of it on my Playstation that came with F1 '97. Later that year I got Final Fantasy VII, my favourite ever game. Going to replay it on PC soon and have been watching a youtube let's play of it recently.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually got all nostalgic and bought it on the PS Store and downloaded it to my PS3 :D

You're not alone! :blush:
  • Options
    rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Remember playing Resident Evil on it till my thumbs ached, it was an amazing game for the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There was always a bloke down the market selling pirated games, videos, CDs.

A friend of a friend had a video shop were he got them from there lastest releases took home did a copy then took it back, the video shop knew because that was the same place he brought his blank CDs from.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Well this makes me feel old!

Got mine in '97. My nan died and left me a £500 inheritance, spent £280 of it on my Playstation that came with F1 '97. .

I bought one and paid about that for it to.

Then about 7 years ago I guess years ago I bought one at a Christmas Fate for £1 (fully working to)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and101 wrote: »
    Games were shared between mates and copied by those who could afford a cd writer. You could also rent the game from the local newsagents and then take it back once a copy had been made.

CD writer cost a few bob then and slow,
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Final Fantasy 7 one of the best games to play on the PSone.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final Fantasy 7 one of the best games to play on the PSone.

Agreed, along with Final Fantasy 8 and 9. They're the only PS1 games I still play occasionally.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    CD writer cost a few bob then and slow,

When I started college studying IT in 97 I was the only one in the class with a cd writer, by the time I finished college in 99 everyone had them. It only took a couple of years for them to drop from silly money down to being a standard feature on PCs. The one I had used a SCSI interface and had caddies to hold the CD so they would be protected as you loaded them into the writer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »

Mm, okay. Didn't think of that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Blockbuster near me used to rent PlayStation games so it could be rented then copied. As well as mates sharing and copying. I also bought a few pirate copies in Spain and we can boot sales and markets.

As a teenager I thought it was great.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those were the days. I also loved Final Fantasy 7, as well as Medievil, Spyro, Rayman, Tomb Raider and many more.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Tomb Raider, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot.

Those were the days.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metal Gear Sold
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought one for our son as soon as they came out. he absolutely loved it and we considered it worth every penny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Metal Gear Sold

I played through that game so much.

Also Final Fantasy 7 & 8, WWF Smackdown 2, Command & Conquer Red Alert and Fifa 2000 were some other favourites of mine.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20 years for Japan. The 20th anniversary of the UK launch is next September.

I had a Saturn first, so I didn't get the PS1 until 1998. I still have a collection of PS1 games today. Does anyone remember Bust a Move 2?
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Metal Gear Sold
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAZURItEKSU

"I was born on a battlefield. Raised on a battlefield. Gunfire, sirens and screams... They were my lullabies..."