Work Programme Applying me to Jobs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are they allowed to do this? Today i logged into my email to find an email confirming my application for a refuse collector job that i did not apply for myself. The job is not very local to me at all and since i don't drive i am not sure how i would be expected to get there for a 6am start. They also applied me to a job involving driving a little while back despite the fact i don't drive and don't have a driving licence. I think its a cheek enough as it is that they apply for jobs for me and the first i even know about it is when i get a confirmation email, but it's even worse when the jobs aren't even suitable.

They even had the nerve to ask me if i would ever consider taking up driving, i told them i had lessons for a longtime and in the end i felt driving wasn't for me, too stressful.

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Are they allowed to do this? Today i logged into my email to find an email confirming my application for a refuse collector job that i did not apply for myself. The job is not very local to me at all and since i don't drive i am not sure how i would be expected to get there for a 6am start. They also applied me to a job involving driving a little while back despite the fact i don't drive and don't have a driving licence. I think its a cheek enough as it is that they apply for jobs for me and the first i even know about it is when i get a confirmation email, but it's even worse when the jibs aren't even suitable.

They even had the nerve to ask me if i would ever consider taking up driving, i told them i had lessons for a longtime and in the end i felt driving wasn't for me, too stressful.

I don't know about whether they can apply on your behalf, but you might want to reconsider the driving thing as it can open up a lot more opportunities. I say this as someone that took lessons over 6 years and had the same number of tests before I finally passed!

I hear that refuse collector is pretty ok job in terms of pay and total working hours. If you cant' get there in time though it's obviously a waste of time going through the application - but bear in mind that a lot of us have done work journeys that involve multiple buses/trains and taken up to a couple of hours each way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear that refuse collector is pretty ok job in terms of pay and total working hours. If you cant' get there in time though it's obviously a waste of time going through the application - but bear in mind that a lot of us have done work journeys that involve multiple buses/trains and taken up to a couple of hours each way.

Indeed this is true, but it would be an early start of 6am so i think its a bit of a problem really. If it was a 9am start or something not so bad
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They even had the nerve to ask me if i would ever consider taking up driving

Where is the 'nerve' in that? Being able to drive is something that could open up many more job opportunities.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you actually given them permission to apply for jobs on your behalf?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you actually given them permission to apply for jobs on your behalf?

no i have not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then tell them that you do not want them apply for jobs on your behalf. They should be discussing possible job applications with you, to see if they are suitable, before any applications are made.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    no i have not

Are you sure you don't have to opt out of them applying for you rather than actually saying they can?

Have you spoken to them about it? Maybe it is a mistake and someone has accessed your account by mistake.

Seems strange that they would do this rather than sanction you if they don't think you are doing enough...
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Where is the 'nerve' in that? Being able to drive is something that could open up many more job opportunities.

Costs a fortune to learn how to drive though - not really feasable for someone existing on JSA. If the provider were to offer to pay for it on the other hand...
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest, who is the work programme provider?

If it's Seetec be aware. They sanctioned me twice once for doing part time paid work which was 8 hours one day a week because they mandated appointments for me to come in on the day I went to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Out of interest, who is the work programme provider?

If it's Seetec be aware. They sanctioned me twice once for doing part time paid work which was 8 hours one day a week because they mandated appointments for me to come in on the day I went to work.

It is Seetec yes :(
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was on the Work Programme, my advisor was useless. As far as I'm aware she never applied for jobs behind my back, but my appointments basically consisted of me sitting and watching her type out application emails on my behalf. I never heard back from any of the jobs and I don't doubt that's partially down to her poor computer skills (email formatting was constantly messing up in ways I didn't think was possible!) and poor grammar/proof reading skills (consistently writing 'I' as 'i' for example). I often tried to correct her but she'd still make the same mistakes and eventually I decided I didn't much care, I'd sit and watch her do these applications to avoid sanctions and just make better applications in my own time.

The worst part in these applications though was her blatant lying! A lot of the jobs she applied for on my behalf were in bars, which required previous experience of bar work. She added onto my CV that I had this experience and also "drew attention" to this experience in the cover letters. I called her up on it the first time and she told me I could bluff it if it came to interview?! I'm sure I could have bluffed the interview but they'd realise soon enough when I didn't know how to pour the drinks! She also made stuff up for my admin experience, saying my previous role had involved things it hadn't like supervising staff. I'm not sure my references would back that type of thing up!

All in all I guess you just have to say something to your advisor next time you're in about them applying for unsuitable roles on your behalf and hope they stop, or just accept that they will keep doing it and get on with your own applications without their "help".
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they allowed to do this? Today i logged into my email to find an email confirming my application for a refuse collector job that i did not apply for myself. The job is not very local to me at all and since i don't drive i am not sure how i would be expected to get there for a 6am start. They also applied me to a job involving driving a little while back despite the fact i don't drive and don't have a driving licence. I think its a cheek enough as it is that they apply for jobs for me and the first i even know about it is when i get a confirmation email, but it's even worse when the jobs aren't even suitable.

Under DWP's own guidelines, it would not be considered reasonable to expect you to take a job that is more than 90 minutes travelling time away by public transport, or a job that you could not get to by public transport by the start time, so if either of those apply I don't see why they're bothering to apply.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst part in these applications though was her blatant lying! A lot of the jobs she applied for on my behalf were in bars, which required previous experience of bar work. She added onto my CV that I had this experience and also "drew attention" to this experience in the cover letters. I called her up on it the first time and she told me I could bluff it if it came to interview?! I'm sure I could have bluffed the interview but they'd realise soon enough when I didn't know how to pour the drinks! She also made stuff up for my admin experience, saying my previous role had involved things it hadn't like supervising staff. I'm not sure my references would back that type of thing up!

That's shocking, and utterly dishonest.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    other people doing stuff for other people doing stuff for you ..... and LYING about it too!

utterly unprofessional, but then that's no surprise from people who are UTTERLY UNPROFESSIONAL!
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    That's shocking, and utterly dishonest.

What do you expect from these parasites ?
    This government has screwed up severely somewhere down the line
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I would love a system that applies for jobs on your behalf. I could just accept and reject the interviews as appropriate. Too many menial applications etc make jobhunting agony.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you applying for jobs on your own too?
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    The job is not very local to me at all and since i don't drive i am not sure how i would be expected to get there for a 6am start.

So how far away is "not very local". For me "local" for work is up to 30 miles.

I find contributing towards your lifestyle choice stressful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find contributing towards your lifestyle choice stressful.

I don't know what you mean by that exactly? I failed 3 driving tests and nearly had an accident on the third one. Not everyone can cut it behind the wheel of a car, not to mention the expense of learning which i can't afford right now.

to answer your first part, i don't know the exact distance, as i explained i am more concerned about how to get there for 6am, i have travelled long distances for work in the past i don't have an issue with that. i also apply for jobs, so i think you should keep your judgemental attitude to yourself quite frankly.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what you mean by that exactly? I failed 3 driving tests and nearly had an accident on the third one. Not everyone can cut it behind the wheel of a car, not to mention the expense of learning which i can't afford right now.

to answer your first part, i don't know the exact distance, as i explained i am more concerned about how to get there for 6am, i have travelled long distances for work in the past i don't have an issue with that. i also apply for jobs, so i think you should keep your judgemental attitude to yourself quite frankly.

I think the poster meant, why aren't you working already and why have you been on benefits for so long that you need a work program.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would contact your work programme advsior tomorrow, and explain that you do not want them to apply for any jobs on your behalf without them first contacting you and asking if it is alright to do so (for each individual job application).

Is that what you intend to do? It seems straightforward enough to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the poster meant, why aren't you working already and why have you been on benefits for so long that you need a work program.

Well i apply for jobs, people either don't get back or i get the 'unfortunately your applications was unsuccessful' email. So i remain out of a job. Until i get a job sucessfully i am stuck in this rut and btw i don't enjoy it either since my money runs out after the first week and i have to wait a week for my next payment, its hardly as much great fun as some people seem to think it is on benefits. i'd love to be earning and getting more money
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they know you don't have a driving licence? It's pointless applying for jobs where it is a requirement as you won't stand a chance anyway.

As someone pointed out its worth learning if you can but I know it is very expensive to do so now.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Well i apply for jobs, people either don't get back or i get the 'unfortunately your applications was unsuccessful' email. So i remain out of a job. Until i get a job sucessfully i am stuck in this rut and btw i don't enjoy it either since my money runs out after the first week and i have to wait a week for my next payment, its hardly as much great fun as some people seem to think it is on benefits. i'd love to be earning and getting more money

those people have never tried living on benefits, and read too much daily mail.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the truth is they want to apply for jobs they know are completely unsuitable for you so they have a excuse to sanction you and can reach their targets and tick stupid boxes and save money so their pathetic little jobs are safe for another week. It stinks