Options

The best winner (in dance ability)

Comments

• Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Jill Halfpenny
    She's a trained dancer, you know! ;-):D

Oh yes but it would have been nice to know at the beginning of the show;-):D
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara Tointon
    Was Natalie such a good dancer?

I don't recall ever liking her dances very much.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis Smith

You're brave mentioning this:);-):D. Remember what happened to the last two threads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara Tointon
    bornfree wrote: »
    You're brave mentioning this:);-):D. Remember what happened to the last two threads.

Are we not allowed to discuss the subject? :confused:

Normally when a thread is closed because it stopped being constructive, a new discussion of the same topic is allowed.

Anyway, it might be interesting to discuss which winner was made the greatest improvement during their time on Strictly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis Smith
    Veri wrote: »
    Are we not allowed to discuss the subject? :confused:

Normally when a thread is closed because it stopped being constructive, a new discussion of the same topic is allowed.

Anyway, it might be interesting to discuss which winner was made the greatest improvement during their time on Strictly.

Ofcourse you are:). I just think it is funny everytime someone mentions a certain dancer's experience, the thread seems to get closed. I should hope that people are allowed to discuss and pass opinions without the threat of threads being closed. ;-)
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara Tointon
    It was made quite clear why it was closed ... nothing new was being said.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Caroline Flack
    Was Natalie such a good dancer?

I don't recall ever liking her dances very much.

Yes. She was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara Tointon
    Yes. She was.

Can anyone find any youtube clips that show she was good?

I'm not at all impressed by her Salsa.

Her Argentine Tango shows signs of substantial pre-Strictly training, but doesn't look especially memorable.

Her Charleston was good by Strictly standards once it finally got going, and it didn't rely too much on making faces.

After that, I was tired of watching them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jill Halfpenny
    Yes. She was.

I agree, she was a joy to watch, I never got tired of her and that is rare for me with SCD. Natalie should definitely have won.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbey Clancy

Not again..............please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jill Halfpenny
    Not again..............please.

I was replying to another poster who quoted my post or did you not see that?:confused:
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara Tointon
    This is the third thread in a row that I've wandered into to find the same posters having petty sparring matches and rehashing the same tired arguments over and over again, it's really not helping make this forum any kind of pleasant place to be...

That just means that you didn't like her, not that she wasn't good in any kind of objective technical sense of the word. I wasn't particularly enamoured by her - I much preferred watching Sophie Ellis-Bextor dance most of the time - but even I can appreciate that Natalie has talent.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbey Clancy
    This is the third thread in a row that I've wandered into to find the same posters having petty sparring matches and rehashing the same tired arguments over and over again, it's really not helping make this forum any kind of pleasant place to be...

And Amen to that. ;-)

Btw did you know Caroline took dance classes? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara Tointon

What makes it unpleasant is the criticism directed at forum members, rather than discussing SCD. :(
    That just means that you didn't like her, not that she wasn't good in any kind of objective technical sense of the word. I wasn't particularly enamoured by her - I much preferred watching Sophie Ellis-Bextor dance most of the time - but even I can appreciate that Natalie has talent.

I does not "mean" anything like that.

It's very difficult to know how much of what someone can do is down to talent and how much to training, but I'm happy to believe Natalie has talent, and perhaps lots of it; she also showed signs of considerable pre-SCD training / experience.

But what I'm wondering is whether her SCD dances were all that good as SCD dances. That's not just (and perhaps not even primarily) a matter of being technically good.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,851
    Administrator
    Please cut out the personal attacks. Disagreeing with each other is fine, making attacks on others because they (dis)like a contestant is not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis Smith
    Exactly.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Caroline Flack

Her Argentine Tango shows signs of substantial pre-Strictly training, but doesn't look especially memorable.

Her Charleston was good by Strictly standards once it finally got going, and it didn't rely too much on making faces.

You say you can't remember liking any of her dances, so theres no point me giving you a link to something you have already made up your mind about.

She was a class above every single contestant last year. Possibly the best dancer ever on the show.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,036
    Forum Member

She was a class above every single contestant last year. Possibly the best dancer ever on the show.

I didn't watch last year but she was a leader for much of it, why do you think she didn't win?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jill Halfpenny
    bornfree wrote: »
    Exactly.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jill Halfpenny
    EvieJ wrote: »
    I didn't watch last year but she was a leader for much of it, why do you think she didn't win?

I believe it was because the judges persuaded the viewers to vote for Abbie. They picked on every little fault of Natalie's, no matter how minor it was and Abbie got away with murder. I still can't believe that the public voted for Abbie over Natalie.

I know you didn't ask me directly but I wanted to give my opinion.:)
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara Tointon
    I believe it was because the judges persuaded the viewers to vote for Abbie. They picked on every little fault of Natalie's, no matter how minor it was and Abbie got away with murder. I still can't believe that the public voted for Abbie over Natalie.

I know you didn't ask me directly but I wanted to give my opinion.:)

But that sort of thing would normally encourage viewers to vote for the one who was being picked on, not the favoured one. I think if they hadn't done that with Natalie the ringer tag would have been even worse than it was.

I think it's down to what Veri said earlier - being the best technical dancer doesn't always mean you're the best dancer on SCD. There has to be an extra something - chemistry/fun/personality whatever, which for a lot of people Natalie and Artem didn't have (a lot of people say 'even I have to acknowledge Natalie was great technically, but I preferred watching .....'). Unfortunately I think the circumstances worked against her - all the ringer stuff in the papers and her injuries - having epidurals etc. to carry on - kind of sucked the fun out of it all and probably didn't allow her to come across as she may have done otherwise, as she seems like a very nice and intelligent lady in interviews I've read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jill Halfpenny
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    But that sort of thing would normally encourage viewers to vote for the one who was being picked on, not the favoured one. I think if they hadn't done that with Natalie the ringer tag would have been even worse than it was.

I think it's down to what Veri said earlier - being the best technical dancer doesn't always mean you're the best dancer on SCD. There has to be an extra something - chemistry/fun/personality whatever, which for a lot of people Natalie and Artem didn't have (a lot of people say 'even I have to acknowledge Natalie was great technically, but I preferred watching .....'). Unfortunately I think the circumstances worked against her - all the ringer stuff in the papers and her injuries - having epidurals etc. to carry on - kind of sucked the fun out of it all and probably didn't allow her to come across as she may have done otherwise, as she seems like a very nice and intelligent lady in interviews I've read.

I agree with most of what you say but I still believe that the judges do influence the viewers who know little about dancing and there are many of them.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara Tointon
    Poor Chris and Darren with their Brits at Eurovision score. :D

I voted Kara, arguably the best dancer, but really connected with the public.

Votes for Women = 179. (84.43%)

Votes for Men = 33. (15.57%)

Total votes = 212.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Kara Tointon
    Kara, every time.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Alesha Dixon

I completely disagree,

Her dances were brilliant and in particular her Argentine Tango. But this is my opinion. :)