Open All Hours

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
Loved the original with Ronnie Barker, but this new show just isn't funny.

Comments

• A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is,

You gave it 11 minutes, try the full show.
  • Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Remakes rarely work as well as the original, Ronnie Barker is a tough act to follow. Besides, corner shops like that have long since disappeared so it's relevance will be lost on today's audience.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It`s called Still Open All Hours and it is surprisingly good and true to the memory of the original. Even Johnny Vegas is tolerable in it which is a first!
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Still terrible.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really understood this when Granville was always the complete opposite to Arkwright.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Should have left it after last year's embarrassing one-off.

Now there's a whole series of it.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never really understood this when Granville was always the complete opposite to Arkwright.

Yeah, Jason is trying to be Arkwright.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Remakes rarely work as well as the original, Ronnie Barker is a tough act to follow. Besides, corner shops like that have long since disappeared so it's relevance will be lost on today's audience.

You try saying that in Sheffield, there are loads of them still here!
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Should have left it after last year's embarrassing one-off.

Now there's a whole series of it.

I thought it was a bit better than last years ep
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

Spending all his life with Arkwright rubbed off on him.

I get the feeling Arkwright has only been dead a few years so Granville lived with him for about 50-60 years so it's bound to rub off.

Plus before it was Arkwright's money he wanted to spend now it's his own that can make a diffrence.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was ok, but we need less of the things that imitate Arkwright... climbing the ladder, the money-belt, that only confuses those who think it's a remake. Even I thought those were cringeworthy, and I was looking forward to it.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,174
    Forum Member
    Well at least Stephanie Cole brought some class to it with her wonderful performance as the fearsome Delphine. :)
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I personally didn't find the original Open All Hours all that funny. It had funny bits - it couldn't fail to with Ronnie B and David in it - but it wasn't consistent humour. Not to me, anyway. I still bought all the DVD's though!

This one is similar, but enjoyable enough. I watched the pilot last year and enjoyed it and I laughed at tonight's episode as well - while I tried to name all the familiar faces!

So I enjoyed it, and I'll watch the series.
  • CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cast are great ... The show is utter crap. The pilot was rubbish last year why the hell make a series nothing tonight was remotely funny poor poor poor. Catherine tates Nan deserved s series much more than this tripe!
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I liked it while not as good as the original I did like it a lot more than most of the stuff what passes for comedy nowadays
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosya wrote: »
    Catherine tates Nan deserved s series much more than this tripe!

That pilot is one of the worst things I`ve ever seen on the Beeb and I bought all her sketch show series on DVD. It was an absolute travesty.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Cosya wrote: »
    The cast are great ... The show is utter crap. The pilot was rubbish last year why the hell make a series nothing tonight was remotely funny poor poor poor. Catherine tates Nan deserved s series much more than this tripe!

I find Catherine Tate as funny as piles.

I find all modern 'comedians' as funny as piles, come to that.

Each to their own!
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Jason is trying to be Arkwright.

that's the whole point :rolleyes: Granville learnt everything he knew from Arkwright and has ended up just like him
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they haven't.

I missed part of it but enjoyed what I saw.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Besides, corner shops like that have long since disappeared

They've not. They're just more likely to be run by someone called Patel or Choudry, than Granville or Arkwright.

Just watched the episode on iPlayer, and thought it was gently and mildly funny, like the original series.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've not. They're just more likely to be run by someone called Patel or Choudry, than Granville or Arkwright.

Just watched the episode on iPlayer, and thought it was gently and mildly funny, like the original series.

Yes Open All Hours was never written as laugh out loud humour imo(although Barkers presence and interaction with other characters took it there sometimes) in the same way as with Last of the Summer Wine (same writer). Personally I thought it was a solid follow up to last year.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was only ever good in the first place because of Ronnie Barker.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Thought it was ok, but we need less of the things that imitate Arkwright... climbing the ladder, the money-belt, that only confuses those who think it's a remake. Even I thought those were cringeworthy, and I was looking forward to it.

Agreed, they've just made him like Arkwright, which is odd, as him and Nurse Gladys used to always go on at him for being tight, yet now hes the exact same, the money belt, the offers, buy one get another the same price etc...

Its like they've just dug out all the old scripts, and only changed Ronnie Barker for David Jason, so hes now in the Arkwright role.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really bizarre. Inexplicable even.

I suppose if Richard Beckinsale was still alive they'd have him playing Fletcher to some younger comedian's surrogate Godber.

It's just a totally stupid idea. It shows a woeful lack of imagination on the part of the writers that they (he?) couldn't come up with a new dynamic with Jason's character actually acting like an older version of himself rather than having adopted the persona of his deceased boss. It makes you think he needs to see a psychiatrist or at the very least a grief counselor.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was good it made me laugh