Most annoying things other drivers do?

Comments

• David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I've always found the A75 to be a great test for that theory.

If I come off the top of the M6 and trundle along the A75, maintaining a fairly steady 55-60mph, overtaking only on wide, straight bits of road or dual-carriageways, while relaxing and listening to R4 it takes me about an hour to get home.
    If, OTOH, I come off the M6 and drive as fast as I feel comfortable with, overtaking at every opportunity and generally "make good progress", it takes me.... about an hour to get home.

Unless you're driving a Ferrari and you're prepared to drive it at 140mph whenever possible, there's really not a great deal to be gained by driving a normal car aggressively.

Course, that's not to say that you shouldn't overtake when it is reasonable to do so. :blush:

Yep, and that was part of the reasoning I bought the car I did.
    In terms of blasting along the road at warp speed to save time, the only times it really pays back is on a clear motorway or dual carriage way, and on certain higher speed A roads (long stretches of 60 with few bends, and some sections with overtaking and dedicated crawler lanes). To make the overtake count you need to overtake and then remain and a significantly higher speed for some period of time.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MichPlat wrote: »
    Yeah as above . I sometimes wonder if the idiots who come right up behind me have dodgy eyesight to be honest , if. I have to slam the brakes for whatever reason we are al beggared as they'd have no time to react . Many , many years ago when I should have known better - I used to pull into the side , let them pass and then drive right up the backside for awhile . I lused to think that they may have thought twice in the future .
    I wouldn't do that these days as I'd probably get some crazy guy with a knife or a gun or something .

Other things that irritate me are the numpty young women who have to text whilst they are behind me in slow moving traffic . I see them in my mirror tapping away and giggling at the replies they receive . One day I'm gonna get shunted in the rear by one of these retards . Finally the idiots who overtake me on the inside on motorways ! When has this ever been a good idea ? Why not overtake on the right side ( rather than the unexpected inside lane ) ???

Aghhhhhh !!

I don't condone undertaking at all, but surely, if you find that people are doing it to you a lot, suggests that you might be in the wrong lane & not driving quickly enough.

It should not be possible for anyone to undertake you, unless someone is driving in an erratic manner, like trying to get away from the police & they come up very quickly & suddenly before you've had time to get back to lane one, where you should be if there is space on the inside.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speed limited HGV's trying to overtake their fellow HGV's. Like two bald men fighting over a comb.
    On the upside though, at least it stops them texting their young friends for a few minutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Speed limited HGV's trying to overtake their fellow HGV's. Like two bald men fighting over a comb.
    On the upside though, at least it stops them texting their young friends for a few minutes.

^^This.:cool:

It really gets my goat when 2 lorry drivers practically 'kill' a stretch of motorway caused by one doing 50 mph & the other one trying to overtake it at 53 mph.>:(

Totally nonsensical.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NOT INDICATING. As mentioned in every other bad drivers thread. :D
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've actually missed off my biggest one...lorries overtaking other lorries and holding traffic up by taking 5-10 minutes to do so. They shouldn't even be allowed to switch lane given their speed restrictions.

I'm actually convinced this is done deliberately by lorry drivers who are bored - to have a laugh by blocking 2 lanes. "Oh let's annoy everyone by driving side by side for 5 minutes. Then I might actually bother to speed up and overtake Lorry A". B@stards. :D
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The habit of using fog lights AND headlights in
    clear weather.

It's illegal and must be a deliberate action by the driver as the Fog Lights are on a separate switch/circuit .

Headlights set too high which dazzle unneccessarily, which reminds me to fix mine as I've getting a few irate drivers flashing at me too.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Some **** parked facing oncoming traffic(i.e.me) with headlights blazing....

^^^^^ This.

It seems to be getting really common. I don't remember being bothered by it until relatively recently, but it seems to happen a lot now.

Maybe it wasn't a problem until they started putting the same lights on cars that they use to light the pitch at Wembley.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aggressive drivers who think they are invincible in their little metal box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aggressive drivers who think they are invincible in their little metal box.

Often men in company saloon cars with a German badge (not saying which one, OK, ALL of them:p), or vans!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    * Slowing down then indicating and turning off (or slowing down and turning off without indicating) - you're supposed to indicate then slow down not the other way round!
    * Driving up my backside
    * Not turning full beams off when driving towards me in dark
    * Not having lights on in rain or dusk so I can't see them properly behind me
    * Not saying thank you when I let someone out or through a gap
    * People holding their phone to talk on it while driving (have you not heard of hands-free?)
    * People driving too slowly.

Think that's it for now!
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming home this evening, I have to go straight across a mini roundabout.

Now, when I was learning to drive, traffic from the right has right of way (clue there then),yet he was beeping the horn and generally being an idiot. .

Maybe because your supposed to make an effort to go around the roundabout?

For me, apart from the usual illegal annoyances, recently drove a few hundred miles on a motorway, inside lane, nice cruising speed with the lorries. Vehicles that creep up behind you too close, overtake, slowly, then cut back in front causing you to slow down because they left no braking distance.

Drivers who for the love of god, that do not know how to zip filter (give way in turn) when two lanes become one.

Drivers who blindly follow the car in front and end up blocking oncoming traffic when there is no pulling in space when overtaking parked cars on narrow roads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Bus drivers who jerk and go slow..People get up as the buses still in motion, driver suddenly jerks and everyone either jerks forward and back wards,,very annoying both cases
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Bus drivers who jerk and go slow..People get up as the buses still in motion, driver suddenly jerks and everyone either jerks forward and back wards,,very annoying both cases
    Passenger should stay seated until the bus has come to a complete stop. Simple as that really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    Passenger should stay seated until the bus has come to a complete stop. Simple as that really.

they all get up as the bus turns for the station, before it stops :( Other people must know what i mean :D
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they all get up as the bus turns for the station, before it stops :( Other people must know what i mean :D
    As I said, passengers should stay seated until the bus has come to a complete stop.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    It's what they don't do, and that's indicate, particularly at roundabouts.

No fun being a pedestrian, crossing near a roundabout or junction, looking drivers in the eye to try to judge if they are turning or not.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    As I said, passengers should stay seated until the bus has come to a complete stop.

Buses are designed to have standing passengers. They can't remain seated.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worse problem is middle lane hogging on motorways. I dont think we have ever had a thread about that. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    A few years ago, I was on the motorway coming up to an exit. I was being tailgated by one of those people that drive so close that when you look in the mirror, it almost looks like they're sat in the back seat.

I'd left a safe distance to the car in front and saw that other cars further in front of me were moving over to the far left of the lane and then back again. I could then see that there was one of those big plastic crates that they use for milk/beer bottles in my lane. I timed my crate dodge to perfection and Mr Tailgater went straight over the top of it with a loud crunch of shattering plastic. He was last seen in my rear-view mirror pulling on to the hard shoulder to inspect the damage.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who complain about being undertaken should perhaps have been in the nearside lane, it must have been empty if someone passed you on the inside.
    Furthermore, if you come up to a long line of stationary traffic, but there is an empty, but INACTIVE bus lane to the left, what is wrong in using it, it's perfectly legal, be vigilant though for someone in the stationary line suddenly realising that they can use it too, and just edging to the left without checking their mirror.
    Drivers who purposely close the gap to side streets in heavy traffic, stopping others from entering or exiting that street should face summary execution, IMO.
    Drivers who become incensed when a truck slowly overtakes another truck, once again, perfectly legal, should up their blood pressure meds, or just get over themselves.
    Finally, well for now, what's with the animosity toward German makes, it's the driver, not the car surely.
    I've had VWs, Mercs, Renaults, Peugeots, a Nissan, once a Ford when times were tough, and now I sometimes use my wife's Fiat, I drove/drive them all with the same mindset.
    Get from A to B as quickly but safely as you can, showing consideration to other road users and pedestrians, but don't expect that consideration from others, they are for the most part utter prats, who cry their eyes out when I sit for 10 or 15 seconds with my foot on the brake of my wife's automatic Croma when I'm at a set of lights.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't condone undertaking at all, but surely, if you find that people are doing it to you a lot, suggests that you might be in the wrong lane & not driving quickly enough.

It should not be possible for anyone to undertake you, unless someone is driving in an erratic manner, like trying to get away from the police & they come up very quickly & suddenly before you've had time to get back to lane one, where you should be if there is space on the inside.

I had one idiot undertake on a layby on me one evening because I dared to only drive the 30 mph speed limit.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snarks wrote: »
    A few years ago, I was on the motorway coming up to an exit. I was being tailgated by one of those people that drive so close that when you look in the mirror, it almost looks like they're sat in the back seat.

I'd left a safe distance to the car in front and saw that other cars further in front of me were moving over to the far left of the lane and then back again. I could then see that there was one of those big plastic crates that they use for milk/beer bottles in my lane. I timed my crate dodge to perfection and Mr Tailgater went straight over the top of it with a loud crunch of shattering plastic. He was last seen in my rear-view mirror pulling on to the hard shoulder to inspect the damage.

Funny, this. Thanks. :)
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most likely due to the bus using a robotised automatic transmission - in other words a manual gearbox where the gears a changed automatically by a computer and some robotic clutch trickery. Not a traditional automatic design.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    People who complain about being undertaken should perhaps have been in the nearside lane, it must have been empty if someone passed you on the inside.
    Furthermore, if you come up to a long line of stationary traffic, but there is an empty, but INACTIVE bus lane to the left, what is wrong in using it, it's perfectly legal, be vigilant though for someone in the stationary line suddenly realising that they can use it too, and just edging to the left without checking their mirror.
    Drivers who purposely close the gap to side streets in heavy traffic, stopping others from entering or exiting that street should face summary execution, IMO.
    Drivers who become incensed when a truck slowly overtakes another truck, once again, perfectly legal, should up their blood pressure meds, or just get over themselves.
    Finally, well for now, what's with the animosity toward German makes, it's the driver, not the car surely.
    I've had VWs, Mercs, Renaults, Peugeots, a Nissan, once a Ford when times were tough, and now I sometimes use my wife's Fiat, I drove/drive them all with the same mindset.
    Get from A to B as quickly but safely as you can, showing consideration to other road users and pedestrians, but don't expect that consideration from others, they are for the most part utter prats, who cry their eyes out when I sit for 10 or 15 seconds with my foot on the brake of my wife's automatic Croma when I'm at a set of lights.

What do you mean by 'inactive'? The last time I saw someone go into an empty bus lane, they were immediately pulled over by the police car which was in the slow moving lane of regular cars along side it.