Stephen Fry Engaged

EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
Forum Member
Got to love Stephen! So nice to find happiness. I'm guessing the hand placement was just a lucky shot. ;-)

•The actor was first pictured with Elliott Spencer, 27, in November this year
•Friends say Spencer, a stand-up comic, has put a smile back on Fry's face
•Pair gave notice at registry office in Norfolk, near where the actor grew up
•Fry separated from his partner of 14 years, Daniel Cohen, in 2010

Another DM one :blush: I should be raking it in! :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2898158/Stephen-Fry-57-marry-toyboy-lover-Elliott-Spencer-27-following-whirlwind-romance.html

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on Stephen. I hope his boyfriend genuinely wants to be with him and not just because of something else.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lad 30 years his junior? Must be Frys stunning good looks which attracted him. ;-)

It couldn't be the fact that he's served time for theft and is a former drug addict could it?
  • RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    A lad 30 years his junior? Must be Frys stunning good looks which attracted him. ;-)

It couldn't be the fact that he's served time for theft and is a former drug addict could it?

Yeah, I mean I sincerally doubt whether it's the fact that the two just fell in love...what a ridiculous notion!
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Few demons maybe but he comes across as such a nice guy. Despite his background he's not snobby, but he is pleasant and such a quick wit without the need to demean. Id happily spend time in his company. :-)

Rushes off to google the background. :confused:
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    What a lovely bloke, congratulations!
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit creepy going out with someone who's 27 when your 57. Couldn't he find someone his own age? I would say the same if it were a straight couple.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. This has got a Melanie Sykes style disaster written all over it.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *resists urge to post usual Fry screed*
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    A bit creepy going out with someone who's 27 when your 57. Couldn't he find someone his own age? I would say the same if it were a straight couple.

Love can happen between adults of any age, although it's more common to come across it with someone that's maybe only 10 years older/younger than yourself.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's 11 years between me and my partner. We couldn't be happier and get on famously. It's no-one's business but our own. Same applies for Stephen and Elliott. If they're happy then good on them, I doubt they care what the nay-sayers are spouting.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the best to Elliott and Stephen
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 years between me and my partner, but he wasn't 57 when I met him he was 38.

This seems a bit like the Mrs Merton question to Debbie McGee, "So, what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

Good luck to them though, I really hope it works out
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Elliott Spencer was my favourite Hellraiser cenobite and now he'll be Mrs Fry? I'll give it six months.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as their happy fair play to them both. No one else's opinion matters
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Good on Stephen. I hope his boyfriend genuinely wants to be with him and not just because of something else.

Yes, Stephen's clearly head over heels and in love, but also a complex soul. I really like him and hope it's not fleeting happiness. I'm sure he's realistic enough to know there will be challenges, but right now he's on a high, and so will probably not care what people think! Of course, the true test will be how well Elliott can cope, care and support Stephen during the inevitable crash that he has talked openly about and consequent struggles and prolonged periods of depression.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Stephen Fry looks like the lad's grandfather. This is a big age difference. National Treasure, well not really, and if it were anyone else .....
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    It is a big age gap but who cares. Stephen Fry has had more than his fair share of troubles so it's lovely to see him happy.
    All the best to him & Elliot.
    Forum Member
    Yes, Stephen's clearly head over heels and in love, but also a complex soul. I really like him and hope it's not fleeting happiness. I'm sure he's realistic enough to know there will be challenges, but right now he's on a high, and so will probably not care what people think! Of course, the true test will be how well Elliott can cope, care and support Stephen during the inevitable crash that he has talked openly about and consequent struggles and prolonged periods of depression.

Very rational post. I really hope Elliot can cope if/when Stephen's depression returns.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Stephen Fry looks like the lad's grandfather. This is a big age difference. National Treasure, well not really, and if it were anyone else .....
    My thoughts exactly. Good luck to him but it is a big age difference. Wait till he is 80 and his partner is 50.
  • lovetochatlovetochat Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that the Daily Mail has pixelated a picture ( first link) that the BBC didn't. Why is that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-30693048
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. Good luck to him but it is a big age difference. Wait till he is 80 and his partner is 50.

In years to come, the age gap may become an issue but for now they seem happy. Live for the moment, I say.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    RobInnes wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean I sincerally doubt whether it's the fact that the two just fell in love...what a ridiculous notion!

You're such a romantic! But if you hurry, there's still time to join the cynics, you are generally less disappointed by life.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    There's 11 years between me and my partner. We couldn't be happier and get on famously. It's no-one's business but our own. Same applies for Stephen and Elliott. If they're happy then good on them, I doubt they care what the nay-sayers are spouting.
    An 11 year age-gap is hardly comparable to a 30 year one is it?

I wish them well but I can't see it lasting.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Forgive me, but that arm around the twink's shoulder in the DM picture looks a tad to proprietorial for comfort. And the twink doesn't exactly look over the Moon in either snap, especially the first one where he looks more like a walk-on part than a newly engaged bride.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say good luck and all the best to any couple getting married.

The age difference is a lot but it's been done before and it's not as if he's had a million husbands (side eyes Liz Taylor, etc).

It might last, it might not. But it's their business to find out. We don't know until we try - that's life! :)