Options

Looking for a new PC

Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I put this in another forum but im looking to buy a new PC. I have right now a HP Pavilion m9065 its 3gb ram, Intel core 2 Quad with about 500gb space. It is getting abit slwo now having it over 2 and a half years. Im not a big gamer but to play a little I have about £800 just want something the same as what I have already. I don't need a monitor and not really bothered if its XP, Vista or Windows 7. It would have to be a brand make I can't put them together I'm not so great with PC's. What is the best brand? or best shops other then PC world.?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_DK wrote: »
    I put this in another forum but im looking to buy a new PC. I have right now a HP Pavilion m9065 its 3gb ram, Intel core 2 Quad with about 500gb space. It is getting abit slwo now having it over 2 and a half years. Im not a big gamer but to play a little I have about £800 just want something the same as what I have already. I don't need a monitor and not really bothered if its XP, Vista or Windows 7. It would have to be a brand make I can't put them together I'm not so great with PC's. What is the best brand? or best shops other then PC world.?

Cheers

If the PC is running slow then there is a reason behind it being slow. Why spend money when you've got a decent PC already - You just need to remove the crap.

Tips:

Check for spyware, Viruses etc.
    Remove any programs you don't use anymore.
    Use CCleaner to remove left over files [When installing this App make sure you refuse to install the toolbar]
    Defrag your hard drive etc.
    If you are using any Norton products then remove them as you can get better free products such as Avast or AVG.

If your upto the task & have made backups of your files you could restore your PC to factory defaults.
  • Options
    superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrary to popular belief, stores like pc world are the WORST places to buy a pc from! You are much better off going with somebody like cyberpower or dinopc... by the looks of it you already have a decent pc, but if you really want a new one check out the sites mentioned
  • Options
    mr.ianmr.ian Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get a new one i'll give you £50 for the old one.
  • Options
    cookyboycookyboy Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    superboy wrote: »
    contrary to popular belief, stores like pc world are the WORST places to buy a pc from! You are much better off going with somebody like cyberpower or dinopc... by the looks of it you already have a decent pc, but if you really want a new one check out the sites mentioned

I'll second Cyberpower. They will build a system to your own requirements and give very good support and help in chosing parts.Have a look at their forums and some of the pictures there.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do get a new PC you should get one with blu ray on for that price.
    Also Windows 7 and the best chip to have would be around the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 and a 256mb graphics card or over.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Dabs.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do get a new PC you should get one with blu ray on for that price.
    Also Windows 7 and the best chip to have would be around the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 and a 256mb graphics card or over.

there's no point investing in blu ray if he has no need for it - that extra money could be spent upgrading other parts of the pc. If he has a need for blu ray then fair enough, but there's no point getting a drive for the sake of it - he could get one in a few years when the prices are much lower, the drives are more powerful, and he actually needs it. lol

e8500 is indeed a fine chip, although personally with that budget I'd go for a powerful quad. You may even be able to afford an i7 rig which give truly amazing performance

graphics card memory isn't necesarily the be all and end all. Within the budget, I would recomend either the ati 4870 or gtx 260 - ati 4850 is a nice card too provides a lot of performance for the price.
  • Options
    Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone I've been looking on the cyberpower site looks great.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick_DK wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone I've been looking on the cyberpower site looks great.

Friend of mine got an i7 Gaming machine from there and it's crazy fast and was a good price, highly recommended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Friend of mine got an i7 Gaming machine from there and it's crazy fast and was a good price, highly recommended.

yeah I would agree, personally I went for dinopc because the rig I wanted at the time was about £70 cheaper on dinopc. But both sites are very good, spec up the machine you want on both, and go for the cheapest site :)