Driving test tomorrow - will it be cancelled?

LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm due to take my driving test tomorrow morning at 8:15 am. I live in Stockport, and my test centre is West Didsbury. Unfortunately a phone number for that centre seems to be non existant (it only opened on October 30th 2010) so I can't ring in to enquire about a cancellation.
Has anyone else taken their test with West Didsbury?

Comments

• BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    They will phone you in the morning if it is to be cancelled.

Assume it's going ahead unless told otherwise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you going with your instructor? If so, they may know what the drill is.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hasn't been able to find a number either. I've checked my test details online but there is only an address for the centre, and no number. So annoying...

Hopefully you're right in assuming they will phone me in the morning! I will be leaving the house at 7:15 am for the usual driving lesson before the driving test, so I'll probably miss the call...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck OP! If nothing else driving in this weather is good practice. I had a lesson in conditions like this and it taught me a lot.
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    He hasn't been able to find a number either. I've checked my test details online but there is only an address for the centre, and no number. So annoying...

Hopefully you're right in assuming they will phone me in the morning! I will be leaving the house at 7:15 am for the usual driving lesson before the driving test, so I'll probably miss the call...

Try the DSA - the phone number will be on the website , they are open until 6pm.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    They might struggle to find somewhere to safely demonstrate an emergency stop in this weather.

As long as there's a side-road clear enough to do an emergency stop it'll probably go ahead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Chances are it will be cancelled, the snow is awful and it's really icy, I live nearby so I know how awful it is
  • CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    They might struggle to find somewhere to safely demonstrate an emergency stop in this weather.

As long as there's a side-road clear enough to do an emergency stop it'll probably go ahead.

Theres not an emergency Stop in every test unless it's been added in as part of the new test.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Assuming that they need to do one.

I had two tests, never asked me to do an emergency stop on either (and there were plenty of places they could have done it). Or parallel parking (I guess I was just lucky).
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ring the main number. Some test places don't have phones as it's just a place the examiners meet the pupils. Some will but some don't. Mine didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the responses!
    The number line will be closed now, but I can always try before I leave for my before lesson. Could someone post the number on here, please?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    OP, note that they will *not* phone you, you must phone up or go to the test centre, if you wait for them to phone or just assume it is cancelled without contacting them, then you will lose your fee. Check your confirmation email or letter you were sent after booking. The number for the test centre should be smartly hidden there in this text;

"Only in the event of fog, ice, snow, flooding, bad light or high winds on the day of your test, please telephone X."

If there is even a minimal amount of snow falling or on the ground, it's almost a guarantee it will be cancelled.

Good luck!! :)

[N.B. Emergency stops are only carried out in 1 of every 3 tests.]
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    There is no way you'll be taking your test. Roads are bad that way.

And you should be grateful you don't have to take the test in these conditions. Yes it's a ball ache waiting for a rescheduled test but you'll have a better opportunity in much more normal driving conditions.

Good luck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, the contact line is open from 8:00 am, and I'm getting picked up at 7:15. I will just have to assume it's not been cancelled, ugh.
    I wish I didn't have to do it so early...

Thank you all, the response has been very helpful!
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, the contact line is open from 8:00 am, and I'm getting picked up at 7:15. I will just have to assume it's not been cancelled, ugh.
    I wish I didn't have to do it so early...

Thank you all, the response has been very helpful!

Do let us know if you managed to take it or not won't you?
    Forum Member
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    OP, note that they will *not* phone you, you must phone up or go to the test centre, if you wait for them to phone or just assume it is cancelled without contacting them, then you will lose your fee. Check your confirmation email or letter you were sent after booking. The number for the test centre should be smartly hidden there in this text;

"Only in the event of fog, ice, snow, flooding, bad light or high winds on the day of your test, please telephone X."

If there is even a minimal amount of snow falling or on the ground, it's almost a guarantee it will be cancelled.

Good luck!! :)

[N.B. Emergency stops are only carried out in 1 of every 3 tests.]

If they decide to cancel a test/test schedule they WILL contact YOU if there is time - its why they take your phone number when you book a test.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member

Check the email or appointment letter. The phone number is on there.

I was looking for my test centre number online to no avail but there it was on the email.

ETA : Just realised I'm too late with the info.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    What horrible conditions for a test! Good luck if it all went ahead OP x
  • davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did my driving test in this sort of weather, I phoned up the test centre and they told me to come for the test which was at about 10. All the tests before mine had been cancelled but for some reason, mine went ahead. The only manoeuvres I had to do was the turn in the road and reverse park. Everything else wasn't safe enough to do.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Was it cancelled OP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Barbella wrote: »
    If they decide to cancel a test/test schedule they WILL contact YOU if there is time - its why they take your phone number when you book a test.

The bold part is the important part, 'if there is time', meaning in it's not a definite case that they WILL contact you. They have no obligation to phone you, the email makes it clear that you need to phone them. You can't just sit around hoping they will phone you. It's much better to assume they will not be phoning you, and contact them.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bold part is the important part, 'if there is time', meaning in it's not a definite case that they WILL contact you. They have no obligation to phone you, the email makes it clear that you need to phone them. You can't just sit around hoping they will phone you. It's much better to assume they will not be phoning you, and contact them.

Yep.

I should have had my first test this time last year. It snowed a few days before and was hanging round on paths but the roads were clear. Day of test we didn't get a call, tried to ring and couldn't get through so went.

Got there to find it was cancelled.

It was quite good though as I got to have a couple of lessons in these conditions so know what to do.

Rescheduled my test for mid Jan and once again it got cancelled due to the weather, finally got it in early feb and I passed. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Odd that you say that - the day of my test had snow, plus the days leading up to it (nowhere near as bad as they are at the moment though), and there was snow on the ground but my test still happened, and it also was the one I passed on.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »
    Odd that you say that - the day of my test had snow, plus the days leading up to it (nowhere near as bad as they are at the moment though), and there was snow on the ground but my test still happened, and it also was the one I passed on.

See, we thought mine would go ahead as the snow was a few days old and all the roads around the test centre and the test routes were clear. But got there and it was cancelled.