Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• japarajapara Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »

Just been riled by one of my pet hates!
    I so wish people wouldn't put their luggage on the beds :mad:

me too, it also annoys me when gown people jump up and down on the bed, you don't need to do that to see how comfortable it is and could actually damage it, I think it is disrespectful
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After tonight, Satis house looks like a very nice stay although I prefer slightly less fussy decor and furnishing. High end prices but high quality so I would expect them to win and the Sub to be last.
    I still cant take to Megan who just grates on me. I wouldnt be surprised if she ends up being the one that disrupts the harmony tomorrow.
    Despite todays hosts becoming emotional tonight I still cant get away from my feeling that they are insincere.

Surprised that I like Judith & David and Alphie &Phil far more than the other 2 couples.

I agree, I am surprised at how well they came across tonight, and they actually made me laugh at one point with the look that guy (sorry can't remember his name) gave Judith when clearing away her cereal bowl as if to say "About bloody time!" :D

But for me, they were too ready earlier in the week to poke fun at everyone else and gave the impression of feeling superior, which is also reflected in their hotel. Lovely place, but a bit out of my price range, and so I prefer yesterday's.

And as for Megan, that laugh really grates on me!
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I am surprised at how well they came across tonight, and they actually made me laugh at one point with the look that guy (sorry can't remember his name) gave Judith when clearing away her cereal bowl as if to say "About bloody time!" :D

But for me, they were too ready earlier in the week to poke fun at everyone else and gave the impression of feeling superior, which is also reflected in their hotel. Lovely place, but a bit out of my price range, and so I prefer yesterday's.

And as for Megan, that laugh really grates on me!

She sounds like a bleating sheep when she laughs. :o:D Her dress sense while quirky does little for her. When Liverpool wide boy said Judith looked like a scarecrow in drag I thought he meant Megan.

You know those decorative ones you can get in the shops? Sorry Megan if you are reading, they are quite attractive after all.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Is that a recognised condition?

:D

We've talked about luggage on beds before - not only the dirt and debris, but the carrying of bedbugs (Google it) :mad:

It's going to be so hard when they settle up the bills.
    How can you put a £60 per night for two against a £165 per night for two when both have hosts who are just the ticket and the price reflects the service and facilities?
    It's so not a fair competition in that regard.

This week they all have their own niche, I'm :( if they all fall out, although I do think the 'sub' could do with a bit of tweaking to up its game for the money.

I think you've highlighted a problem a lot of the contestants have in scoring. ("How can you put a £60 ... against a £165 per night .."). The VO always says that "value for money" should be a consideration. This week Judith's place is fantastic value for money at £60 but Salis at £165????? Lovely as it is I'm not sure.

The contestants also seem to have great difficulty in putting aside their own prejudices about other establishments. Would I want to stay in a B & B in Blackpool, or themed around an American diner, or a tent? Not on your life, but that's not what you're expected to judge - it's
    always about the general ambience and the price, not the location. If you were obsessed with mobile reception you wouldn't go into a rural location, but plenty of people would.
    These prejudices have led to some undeserving winners so far, but I don't see how that can be overcome.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japara wrote: »
    me too, it also annoys me when gown people jump up and down on the bed, you don't need to do that to see how comfortable it is and could actually damage it, I think it is disrespectful
    I agree! But then I would. But they may have been encouraged to do the jumping up and down thing. I'm sure Judith would have had a severe sense of humour failure if one of her beds had been damaged by an adult guest using it as a trampoline. She didn't even have being blotto as an excuse. ;)

Riverside said:
    With the Satis House guys, I think what comes across is they know they've developed a good business that suits its guests and as people they're accomplished and confident. That could be interpreted as superior or whatever but I don't think it is - it's who they are and it's genuine. And, of course, Kevin is used to cameras and performing so he's coming across as very relaxed in comparison to the others. Not a bad thing - just a reflection of who he is. He doesn't feel the need to prove he's up for a laugh by washing his face in the lavatory. (Still puzzled by that).

I think one can put £65 against £165 providing what's on offer is significantly different - and, of course, location plays a part. The same property on the outskirts of Bath vs on the outskirts of a bog standard small village in central Wiltshire will always be more expensive near Bath. So perhaps as a starting point, that part of Suffolk is more desirable than Judith's part of Devon - I don't know.

Ashculme House is a comfy home and Satis House is a stylish hotel; Ashculme doesn't - as far as I saw - offer a full, staffed bar, two award-winning professional restaurants, room service, etc. Or even tvs in the rooms. So one should be able to look at what one property offers and compare it to another. It may be out of one's price range but if you chose to afford it, would it represent value? It's no different from choosing a car, really - mid-range Ford Focus? or Audi A4? Both have their appeal...

Is Satis House worth £100 more than Ashculme? Yes, probably - for me, it would have to be a special occasion, though and I'd really like a pool. That doesn't mean both will appeal equally to the same people but a fair comparison taking into account the differences should be possible.

Of course, we know from previous contestants that it isn't always possible... :D

For sheer value for money, this week I'd award it to Ashculme. And I didn't mean to type so much... but it's snowing and I can't get out...
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hooray it's snowing here too Normandie!

My neighbours...

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/dotdashlily/014-5_zpse3fc3ac6.jpg
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from pitching a submarine with a take-away McDonalds breakfast against a comfortable country guesthouse with home produce, some of the participants can hardly be described as B&Bs. Satis House, for example, has two restaurants and IMO too many facilities and staff to be described as a B&B.
    However, fairness is not the aim of the programme makers and some of the participants are more than happy to play the game because of the free publicity. it brings.
    Some of the best episodes have been the ones where gameplaying takes place.......especially when the underhanded ones get outwitted, and a cheer goes up on the thread.
    Unfortunately, like last week, it sometimes goes the other way!
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My neighbours...

I have no idea where you got that picture of me, but I wish I had time to put some lippy on before you posted it.;)

Sorry, it is a fantastic picture, I am envious, if you do have any more pics would love to see them.

I think Satis House might win, although Megan wasn't keen on the price tag, but I thought it seemed worth it. Going away is expensive, but the service was and attention to detail was fantastic and sometimes it's worth that bit extra, as has been said before. Agree with Normandie, Ashculme was the best value for money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    personally, I don't like potatoes for breakfast. I much prefer the full english rather than the scottish.
    Horses for courses, lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucyjack wrote: »
    personally, I don't like potatoes for breakfast. I much prefer the full english rather than the scottish.
    Horses for courses, lol.

Very apt for current food issues.;)

I suppose the only thing I'm not too keen on, but would eat if it were put on my plate is fried bread, this on occasion has caused gasps around the extended family table.

I see you come from the lovely North East. Are you close to the stunning coast up there?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been inspired to try potato scones for tea tonight :) - not sure I'd want them for brekkie though, I don't eat hash browns then either.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I have no idea where you got that picture of me, but I wish I had time to put some lippy on before you posted it.;)

Sorry, it is a fantastic picture, I am envious, if you do have any more pics would love to see them.

I think Satis House might win, although Megan wasn't keen on the price tag, but I thought it seemed worth it. Going away is expensive, but the service was and attention to detail was fantastic and sometimes it's worth that bit extra, as has been said before. Agree with Normandie, Ashculme was the best value for money.

A few more...Including one of my new grandson..Max!

http://s1130.beta.photobucket.com/user/dotdashlily/library/Snow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I've been inspired to try potato scones for tea tonight :) - not sure I'd want them for brekkie though, I don't eat hash browns then either.

This sausage talk all week, has given me a craving for them, in a giant yorkshire pud and some creamy mash with lashings of black pepper for tonight's tea.
    I've rented a little fisherman's cottage on Kingsdown Beach in Kent for February.It is self catering, but tattie scones and the full works are definitely on the menu, followed by a long walk.

For now back to work, this assignment is never going to get done and I want it sorted before 5pm tonight.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fried potato scone in a roll with square sausage is yummy. It tastes nothing like potato.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    This sausage talk all week, has given me a craving for them, in a giant yorkshire pud and some creamy mash with lashings of black pepper for tonight's tea.
    I've rented a little fisherman's cottage on Kingsdown Beach in Kent for February.It is self catering, but tattie scones and the full works are definitely on the menu, followed by a long walk.

For now back to work, this assignment is never going to get done and I want it sorted before 5pm tonight.

BIB And you didn't think to invite us?! :D

Judith reminds me of so many very middle-class women they've had on FIAB. They seem to have the same types on the prog; very middle-class posh woman, 2 gays, Mrs Bucket and flashy business-man bloke and his mate etc. They seem to have a criteria and mix them up for each series.

We should have an award for every type for each series!

Nominations and more types..............?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He is absolutely beautiful, a really cute picture, thank you for doing that.

Gorgeous photos, what a lovely location. Looks like a very therapeutic place to visit to get away from it all.
    Thanks for posting them, I really appreciate it.

Right..must be strict with myself and work now.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    That was *so* funny - they were the world's most annoying couple and moaned to beggery about being put into a 'shack' in the garden :p

As for this week's lot - they seem a nice enough bunch (wonder what Phil was filming in Ireland...?).

Personally, I really liked John and Judith's place - very laid back, friendly and a beutifully rustic location. I'm not too fussed about technology (nice to get a break from the mobile phone sometimes), and a few cobwebs don't upset me, so I could see me being very happy at their place. And they seem to be a lovely couple - hope they don't turn out the be the game-players this week.

Of course, I meant David and Judith... Must have been tired when I typed that post...:o

Normandie wrote: »
    I agree! But then I would. But they may have been encouraged to do the jumping up and down thing. I'm sure Judith would have had a severe sense of humour failure if one of her beds had been damaged by an adult guest using it as a trampoline. She didn't even have being blotto as an excuse. ;)

Riverside said: With the Satis House guys, I think what comes across is they know they've developed a good business that suits its guests and as people they're accomplished and confident. That could be interpreted as superior or whatever but I don't think it is - it's who they are and it's genuine. And, of course, Kevin is used to cameras and performing so he's coming across as very relaxed in comparison to the others. Not a bad thing - just a reflection of who he is. He doesn't feel the need to prove he's up for a laugh by washing his face in the lavatory. (Still puzzled by that).

I think one can put £65 against £165 providing what's on offer is significantly different - and, of course, location plays a part. The same property on the outskirts of Bath vs on the outskirts of a bog standard small village in central Wiltshire will always be more expensive near Bath. So perhaps as a starting point, that part of Suffolk is more desirable than Judith's part of Devon - I don't know.

Ashculme House is a comfy home and Satis House is a stylish hotel; Ashculme doesn't - as far as I saw - offer a full, staffed bar, two award-winning professional restaurants, room service, etc. Or even tvs in the rooms. So one should be able to look at what one property offers and compare it to another. It may be out of one's price range but if you chose to afford it, would it represent value? It's no different from choosing a car, really - mid-range Ford Focus? or Audi A4? Both have their appeal...

Is Satis House worth £100 more than Ashculme? Yes, probably - for me, it would have to be a special occasion, though and I'd really like a pool. That doesn't mean both will appeal equally to the same people but a fair comparison taking into account the differences should be possible.

Of course, we know from previous contestants that it isn't always possible... :D

For sheer value for money, this week I'd award it to Ashculme. And I didn't mean to type so much... but it's snowing and I can't get out...

Good point - Ashculme and Satis are both excellent, but very different, properties. I would happily stay at either: Satis for a special occasion and Ashculme as a place to base myself for a holiday in Devon.

Whilst £165 is a lot, Satis House, unlike last week's expensive offering in Crieff, *does* have the wow factor that justifies the price tag. Plus the hosts have good people skills (unlike Chick and Jason!).

My neighbours...

No snow here yet - I feel cheated :(
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No snow here yet - I feel cheated :(

You can have ours if you want. We are practically snowed in. I hate it.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, I meant David and Judith... Must have been tired when I typed that post...:o

James even...:o
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No snow here either, its sunny!
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snowed in here too. Heathrow has come to a halt!
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lovely pic of Max!
  • johnhughjohnhugh Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I just don't think that people should be allowed to pick and choose how many episodes they decide to be in re the Brookside guy. Do them all or none at all.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnhugh wrote: »
    I just don't think that people should be allowed to pick and choose how many episodes they decide to be in re the Brookside guy. Do them all or none at all.
    The risk would be having the owner / hosts of fewer small businesses participating. Maybe that doesn't matter... but I think part of the charm of 4iaB is that at least some of the owners do all the work themselves and the business is clearly their beloved baby.

Last week's episodes were filmed in September - according to one of last week's participants. A lot of smaller properties are run with no outside help and will still be busy in September. If there are already bookings by the time filming dates are set, it's not always practical (or desirable) for both hosts to be away from the business at the same time.

I think it is better when there are two people representing each property throughout the visits but in this specific instance, I'd be very surprised if Phil has anything to do with the running of the Sub and is just a mate of Alfie's asked along to add interest because he's an actor.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think its a bit daft pitching small B&B type places against the plush Country Hotel with restaurant/function room. Satis House is very luxurious but Id prefer the simplicity of James and Judith's place...cobwebs n all. I like their laidback approach and sense of humour though I think the only thing standing in the way of a Satis House win could be maybe their 165 quid per room.
This discussion has been closed.