Options

Olive Kitteridge - UK Pace on Sky Atlantic

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
This 4 part adaptation of Elizabeth Strout's Pulitzer-winning novel of the same name focuses on Olive Kitteridge's (Frances McDormand) interactions with the people of her small Maine town over the course of 25 years starts on 14th December on Sky Atlantic. Looking forward to this. Great cast including Richard Jenkins and Bill Murray. It's received great reviews on Metacritic.

Storyline

A look at a seemingly placid New England town that is actually wrought with illicit affairs, crime and tragedy, all told through the lens of Olive, whose wicked wit and harsh demeanor mask a warm but troubled heart and staunch moral center.

The story spans 25 years and focuses on Olive's relationships with her husband, Henry, the good-hearted and kindly town pharmacist; their son, Christopher, who resents his mother's approach to parenting; and other members of their community.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first episode is available on demand now before it airs on Sky Atlantic on Sunday night.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Going to give this a go.
    It looks like one of the more bleak dramas that Sky Atlantic tend to show rather than the glitzy ones on other channels.

Looks interesting though and has a good cast.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this, think splitting it into 4 episodes would have been better - after spending two intense, back to back nights with Olive, I'm going to miss her in a funny kind of way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    I loved this, think splitting it into 4 episodes would have been better - after spending two intense, back to back nights with Olive, I'm going to miss her in a funny kind of way.

I thought she was brilliant and Richard Jenkins playing her husband was equally fantastic. I didn't realise the guy who saved the drowning woman plays Nygma in Gotham. He looked so different in this. The scene in the bedroom with the little girl was hilarious and when he hid her new daughter in laws shoe in her handbag and used luminous marker pen on her pristine white cardigan and folded it back into the wardrobe. :D It reminded me a bit of Revolutionary Road and Mildred Pierce. Didn't realise the 2nd part was last night. Luckily I spotted it just in time and recorded it to watch later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought it was going to be a series. Didn't realise it was just a two parter.

Still, something to watch over the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be a series. Didn't realise it was just a two parter.

Still, something to watch over the weekend.

It was shown in 4 parts in the US but in 2 parts over here for some reason.
  • Options
    lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded this from catch up to watch over two nights but couldn't stop after the first episode.
    Brilliantly acted by everyone in the production with a story that was painful in many parts to watch.
    Olive was infuriatingly selfish and emotionally constipated but I loved every minute of her story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    How on earth has this got such a small thread? I was expecting one with hundreds of replies.

One of the best things I've seen this year, or any year. Brilliantly written and acted. I thought the way mental health was depicted was very accurate and moving. As someone else said above, I'm going to miss Olive. Henry and 'The Mouse', too :( Bill Murray also made a big impact in the relatively short time he was on screen.

Outstanding TV.
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on earth has this got such a small thread? I was expecting one with hundreds of replies.

One of the best things I've seen this year, or any year. Brilliantly written and acted. I thought the way mental health was depicted was very accurate and moving. As someone else said above, I'm going to miss Olive. Henry and 'The Mouse', too :( Bill Murray also made a big impact in the relatively short time he was on screen.

Outstanding TV.
    Completely agree with you about number of replies on here. It was an incredible drama with black humour, "I'm waiting for the dog to die,so I can shoot myself!'
    The acting was fantastic. The way Olive almost was proud of her mental problems, but great at helping people with those problems too. Henry was a trooper, soft, kind and hardly ever worn out by her caustic nature (hospital drugs bust an exception). They were clearly made for one another.
    Awesome television drama. Sad it ended as it did - almost optimistic!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was shown in 4 parts in the US but in 2 parts over here for some reason.

It was shown as two episodes back to back over two nights.

I suppose as HBO is ad free, they thought a short interval after an hour would be handy for comfort breaks etc.

Sky offer more than enough breaks of their own!!
  • Options
    Nollaig79Nollaig79 Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw both episodes last night, and thought it was fantastic! Well written and well acted too. I was rather disappointed when it ended, as I would liked to have seen how Olive and Bill Murray's relationship develops.
  • Options
    MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    That was award-worthy! It reminded me of Fargo,and lo-and-behold,it seems Olive was in that too:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissySmith wrote: »
    That was award-worthy! It reminded me of Fargo,and lo-and-behold,it seems Olive was in that too:)

It's quite shocking that Bill Murray was nominated for a Golden Globe but Richard Jenkins wasn't. Murray was fantastic but Jenkins had a much bigger role and it was a lot more challenging. Jenkins is nominated for a SAG which I suppose is more important seeing as it's voted for by fellow actors.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it, i enjoyed it.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the first two hours last night, will finish it tonight.

Wonderful TV. The masses don't know what they're missing.

Still available on demand for those who haven't seen it.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I binge watched this, couldn't stop watching. So many complex characters, it was marvellous!
  • Options
    Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this show on-demand over the past couple of nights and agree that it was absolutely top notch, a captivating drama interspersed with some dark / dry humour.
  • Options
    Tom HarkTom Hark Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Sorry to disagree with everyone. Yes , it was well acted, Olive was brilliantly portrayed, but as a programme - it was just too depressing . I saw the final hour of part one from my planner last night and it has made me down all day. Too much like real life, I guess,It made me want to end it all as well !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frances McDormand won the SAG award last night for her role in this drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Frances McDormand won the SAG award last night for her role in this drama.

Great news, and very well-deserved :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great news, and very well-deserved :cool:

Her acceptance speech was very funny. You can view it on YouTube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Her acceptance speech was very funny. You can view it on YouTube.

Will do, thanks :)
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished watching it on DVD. Frances McDormand was brilliant. The part where she cries into the pillow was heartbreaking. I know awards aren't the be-all and end-all, but I can't believe Richard Jenkins missed out on a Golden Globe nomination. He's an incredibly underrated actor.

I highly recommend the film Laurel Canyon. It stars Frances McDormand and was also directed by Lisa Cholodenko. They work together so well. I hope they team up again in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just seen that this is being repeated. It started at 9pm but is on +1 and also on next Thursday 12:20am. I expect part 2 will be on 9pm next Thursday.
    May also be put On Demand as well.