shine on harvey moon

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shine On Harvey Moon was an excellent series.
    I also enjoyed the programme made for schools called How We Used To Live.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme is an absolutely must see. I'm loving these repeats of it. I only vaguely remember it from the eighties and didn't realise it was this good.

Gran and Marks are great TV writers, but definitely excel when setting their stories in mid-20th-century London (e.g. "Shine On Harvey Moon" and "Goodnight Sweetheart").
  • fizzler333fizzler333 Posts: 2,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    Shine On Harvey Moon was an excellent series.

I loved watching "How we used to live" best schools programme ever, my Mum loved it too and wouldn't miss it.
  • 80sQueen80sQueen Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzler333 wrote: »
    I loved watching "How we used to live" best schools programme ever, my Mum loved it too and wouldn't miss it.

Oh dear! I remember it too and the theme tune of HWUTL has just popped into my head & won't go away!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sQueen wrote: »
    Oh dear! I remember it too and the theme tune of HWUTL has just popped into my head & won't go away!

I wish you hadn't said that, I have just had to go and find it on Youtube.
  • SnakeGuySnakeGuy Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Started watching the first episode but I was disappointed , seems to have dated real badly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnakeGuy wrote: »
    Started watching the first episode but I was disappointed , seems to have dated real badly.

Yes, I thought that too, it does seem quite dated now doesn't it?
  • Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    It's a charming series. Great characters and good old-fashioned entertainment.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My PVR cut off the last few minutes of today's show. The last bit I saw was when Lou got back and the policeman was waiting for him. Anyone able to tell me what happened next?

Really enjoying seeing this show again. The acting is amazingly natural, which is pretty unusual for an 80s comedy IIRC. Kenneth Cranham is simply fabulous....you just forget that he's acting!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my, just found this by accident last night on Yesterday. I am in raptures. I remember this show the first time round and loved it then and am really sorry I missed the start of this run. It's really good to see so many stars again in their hey da., Maggie Steed is as good as I recall great actor, brilliant male lead Kenneth Cranham and his mum Elizabeth Spriggs. Top show all round. I was looking for something at 7 oclock since my radio listening is changing , this fits the bill nicely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    My PVR cut off the last few minutes of today's show. The last bit I saw was when Lou got back and the policeman was waiting for him. Anyone able to tell me what happened next?

Really enjoying seeing this show again. The acting is amazingly natural, which is pretty unusual for an 80s comedy IIRC. Kenneth Cranham is simply fabulous....you just forget that he's acting!

Long story short!
    They both went to court, Lou was sent down for 3 months having kept quiet. Monty Fish was sent to Liverpool by Mr Rosenthal, who came round with lots of money for nan. Harvey went round to Rita's later and tried to console her as she bemoaned her luck in men!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obadia wrote: »
    Long story short!
    They both went to court, Lou was sent down for 3 months having kept quiet. Monty Fish was sent to Liverpool by Mr Rosenthal, who came round with lots of money for nan. Harvey went round to Rita's later and tried to console her as she bemoaned her luck in men!

Oh thank you so much! :) I really appreciated it. Looks like I missed more than I thought! :)

It's wonderful to see this again isn't it? I'm going to be glued to the TV every night at 7 from now on. Hope they show the entire thing.

Thanks again for filling me in, Obadia. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    Oh thank you so much! :) I really appreciated it. Looks like I missed more than I thought! :)

It's wonderful to see this again isn't it? I'm going to be glued to the TV every night at 7 from now on. Hope they show the entire thing.

Thanks again for filling me in, Obadia. :)

No problem cathrin, not the most thrilling update, but glad to help. I, like you am really glad to see this show back, this was a must for my whole family back then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsSpoon wrote: »

Dum, dum de dum dum, dum de dum dum de dum, de dum (my attempt at the HWUTL theme tune :D)

I have very fond memories of this programme and would love to see it again. I vaguely remember the series about the Victorians and one episode in which the Cook cut her hand or arm (but luckily the master of the household was a doctor so she was alright).

But the series I remember most is the one that ran from 1936 to 1952 and covered the second world war. I can't remember the names of anybody in it but the eldest son (Jimmy, just had a memory surge :)) was a POW and the middle daughter married a US soldier and went off to live in the States and the youngest daughter (Avril?) ended up working for a chemist (I think).
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How We Used To Live! I have vivid memories of the WW1 series: the Holroyds (rich mill owners) and Selbys (poor mill workers). We watched it at school, and the whole class sat in utter silence for half an hour a week.

I've just shuffled meself off to Youtube and found this. I am still note perfect, whistling the feem toon, 25yrs later ... :)
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this on 'Yesterday'. It's nice to see something 'new' for a change and because it's a creation of the post war years it doesn't look as 'dated' as some of the other 1980's and 1990's series.
    They seem to be sticking to the original ad breaks as well and the uses of slightly stronger language haven't been diluted either. I remember it in the hour long episodes but don't remember the 30 minute shows at all.:confused:

Pauline Quirke and her glasses with a plaster over one lense must be due to appear quite soon.:o
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching this first time around. Its really good seeing it again.
  • PaulB1973PaulB1973 Posts: 2,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Whitlock played Stanley seem to recall (wonder what he looks like now - might have a meander on Google) he grew up as the series went along.
  • minnie1957minnie1957 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    I thought it was great to see him all grown up when it returned in 1995.The same original cast apart from Harvey. Thought it wouldent work withought Kenneth but it did.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How We Used To Live! I have vivid memories of the WW1 series: the Holroyds (rich mill owners) and Selbys (poor mill workers). We watched it at school, and the whole class sat in utter silence for half an hour a week.

I've just shuffled meself off to Youtube and found this. I am still note perfect, whistling the feem toon, 25yrs later ... :)

Damnations! I remember watching that at school, thought it was quite good!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to remind everyone that this little gem is still on , on "Yesterday" , I watch the 7PM showing. I really rate this show, it's as good today as it was originally. I wish modern drama had such charm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the later episodes, with different writers, have been a bit hit and miss but the cast keep it watchable. It's one of the few programmes I Sky+ if I'm not at home. Love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the re-runs! Rita is absolutely wonderful; I could watch her all day.

The only slightly "wrong" note for me is the way Pauline Quirke's character is bullied and put down by all the others. That makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. But that aside, the whole show has a real warmth and joy about it. I love the relationship between Rita and Leo. And Harvey's scenes with his Mum, and that lovely first meeting between Freda and Rita....fabulous stuff! :)
  • Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Rita and Harvey's mum are the best characters.

Harvey is altogether too wishy-washy, but thoroughly decent.

I'm sick of the sight of Dr Legge.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pauline Quirke is so funny in this.