Options

Gypsies. planning, councils?

oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The only people who have been able to get planning in my area are gypsies. I have four sites within 200yds and now they've asked for planning for another six/twelve family homes on their field next door. The council are going to allow this I believe.

Several planning applications, by non-gysies, have been turned down on this same road for ONE static caravan to be used as a dwelling. Yet the gypsies get permission for six statics (more like huge chalets) and six touring caravans (lived in ) per plot of land.

Anyone any clue what's going on?

Comments

• Options
    Digital PieDigital Pie Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    There is a song about this somewhere
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    oldhag wrote: »
    The only people who have been able to get planning in my area are gypsies. I have four sites within 200yds and now they've asked for planning for another six/twelve family homes on their field next door. The council are going to allow this I believe.

Several planning applications, by non-gysies, have been turned down on this same road for ONE static caravan to be used as a dwelling. Yet the gypsies get permission for six statics (more like huge chalets) and six touring caravans (lived in ) per plot of land.

No but I'll give you a fiver for your house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a song about this somewhere

Cher's pimped her song.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Apparently, nationally there is a 10% chance that a person will be given retrospective planning permission for a building that they've already erected.

Within the gypsy community that rises to an 80% chance.

Just saying...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so unfair. It's high time we all had the same rights.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i sometimes wonder if it's the council basically just afraid of the consequences should they refuse permission.

I saw that one of the main opponents of the dale farm eviction is now so fed up with the state of the site now, he's threatening to GIVE his land to the gypsies and move abroad - and he owns enough land in Basildon to give them a site much bigger than Dale Farm ever was.
  • Options
    Digital PieDigital Pie Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I wonder why gypsies have a reputation for illegal and anti-social activity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i sometimes wonder if it's the council basically just afraid of the consequences should they refuse permission.

I saw that one of the main opponents of the dale farm eviction is now so fed up with the state of the site now, he's threatening to GIVE his land to the gypsies and move abroad - and he owns enough land in Basildon to give them a site much bigger than Dale Farm ever was.

Yes I think that's the problem. But they aren't scared to stand up to us non-gypsies. We could be more powerful if we'd stick together like they do. Obviously they are going to end up owning all of this area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think that's the problem. But they aren't scared to stand up to us non-gypsies. We could be more powerful if we'd stick together like they do. Obviously they are going to end up owning all of this area.

i think that's actually not a bad idea. if you could galvanize all the land owners in the immediate area together you could, for all intents and purpose, form some kind of collective or even hypothetical union.

I might not necessarily make a lot of difference, but i would have thought it would be better to have the collective power of many behind you rather than just one or two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the stats showed that 80% of all applications by gypsies and travellers were refused. Maybe you are just unlucky OP.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    i think that's actually not a bad idea. if you could galvanize all the land owners in the immediate area together you could, for all intents and purpose, form some kind of collective or even hypothetical union.

I might not necessarily make a lot of difference, but i would have thought it would be better to have the collective power of many behind you rather than just one or two.

Not really sure what that'd achieve TBH.

I might be wrong but I get the impression that most of these "trouble spots" are actually public or local-authority land rather than privately owned land so I'm not sure what private citizens grouping together might achieve.

....unless you're suggesting we form up into pitchfork-wielding mobs? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    ....unless you're suggesting we form up into pitchfork-wielding mobs? :confused:

Nah, the pitchfork mobs are reserved for DS :)

You probably wouldn't achieve much, if anything, to be fair - it was just a thought along the lines of 'strength in numbers', since the gypsies seem to operate under the same principle.
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think of the positives. At least you can get your drive done on the cheap! ;)
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soran wrote: »

Helps to offset the cost when your shed gets kicked in and everything looted from it a week later ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the stats showed that 80% of all applications by gypsies and travellers were refused. Maybe you are just unlucky OP.

It's only the gypsies who quote these percentages. Councils throughout the land give in as they can't afford to fight.
    soran wrote: »

They charge us double! They don't do favours for anyone.
  • Options
    davidl8davidl8 Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Gypsies have become more fashionable since TV show like big fat gypsies weddings etc.. I do agree they should have the same rights unless celeb.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, one law for them. Totally different one for the settled community.

For example, if a non traveller had built a house without planning permission, it wouldn't have lasted a fraction of the time those illegal traveller dwellings on Crays Hill, lasted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because if they don't they will be accused of discrimination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's us who are being discriminated against. On telly tonight on '999' for example - forty odd gypsies built a fire in residential area, blocking the road with cars and mourners for a 'wake.'

If we did that the fire would be put out and we'd be charged with arson and causing a public nuisance. But oh no not them! The fire brigade didn't dare put the fire out and were advised by the police not to or they risked a lynching !

Not even a caution was given. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Cher's pimped her song.

Yip. Gypsies Tramps and Thieves, they live up to their name around where I stay!
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    311059 wrote: »
    Yip. Gypsies Tramps and Thieves, they live up to their name around where I stay!

So at night all the men will go around?
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Helps to offset the cost when your shed gets kicked in and everything looted from it a week later ;)

Yes, and did you really need that pedigree pet? :(
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Apparently, nationally there is a 10% chance that a person will be given retrospective planning permission for a building that they've already erected.

Within the gypsy community that rises to an 80% chance.

Just saying...

Interesting statistic. Where does it come from?
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is apparently, in a local council area, a waiting list of 10 of gypsies (i assume this to mean families) requiring sites
    a planning application by the council appears set to be forced through to satisfy this 'demand',
    despite strong local opposition including from members of the showman's guild who have a site across the road

in the same area the waiting list for social housing is in four figures

one wonders is this really an equitable use of public funds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace -'one wonders is this really an equitable use of public funds '

It doesn't make me wonder - it makes me bloody furious!