Options

What happens if you subtract infinity from infinity, 0 or -infinity?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
What is the answer to Infinity minus Infinity.
If you add Infinity to 0 you will get Infinity fair enough. If you subtract infinity from 0 you will get -infinity, the negative number equivalent so far, so simple But there is a rather mindbending logical fallacy that happens if you consider the possibility of subtracting infinity from infinity would you get 0, or because infinity is after all infinite, whether backwards of forwards, would you actually get -infinity (negative infinity).

It's even more disturbingly mindbendingly bizarre when you consider the logical fallacy behind such questions as can you add infinity to infinity or multiply infinity by infinity, how can it be possible to get an infinite amount more on top of an already infinite amount of something, perhaps that is the literal definition of something that is absolutely impossible.

Comments

• Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, that's, like, so deep, dude.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're thinking of infinity wrong.

Infinity isn't a number. It just is. It can't be subtracted from, or added to. There is no "infinity+1" number. It's treated as a number in some fields, but it's not. It's an abstract concept, and one which is incredibly difficult to wrap one's head around.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Infinity minus infinity is still infinity, i conjecture. Maybe an infinity of a different order.

Its a bit like what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object. Its an INCONCEIVABLE event.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Click if you've got an hour to spare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Right, so I think it's 0, because from infinity which yes is a concept and certainly not a static number you could never get back to 0 if you were subtracting infinity from infinity because infinity is infinitely long, lower or higher, so it would just be 0, although if it could never reduce down to 0 because it's infinite, perhaps it's actually +infinity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google "aleph numbers". Explains about the scale of infinities

It will make it all clear. Not!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a Horizon programme once about a load of eggheads living/working in a house in America whose purpose it was to have deep thoughts about such as this thread title. Math/Physics/Astronomy etc
    Personally I have no bloody clue (and I think that's the right answer)
  • Options
    Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer is most definitely 20.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the converse of infinities is the idea of infinitesimals from which Newton and Liebnitz invented calculus.

Weird idea to dream up but seems eminently sensible when explained to you.

Google "infinitesimals"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't conclude to any answer so far, so here's my reasons for why all 3 possibilities might be right.

that is that it results in either

+infinity (ie just infinity)

-infinity

I've thought it could be all three answers at various points, -infinity, 0 or even +infinity. Because infinity is infinitely big perhaps when you try to take it off infinity the result just remains as infinity.
    On the other hand perhaps the result is 0, because when you take an infinity off something that is an infinity away from 0 you might just be left with 0.
    Or even still, perhaps you end up with -infinity, because if you take infinity off infinity, infinity is so big that why would it stop at 0, if it could get there, it would keep going forever and just end up as -infinity. But as it's infinity how can it even get back to 0.

There is an answer logically but I couldn't be certain which one it is.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Infinity isn't a number, think instead of a set of infinite items, then think of a set of infinite items that is different size to another set of infinite items.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    infinity is not a SET number, therefore it's a variable!

like my post count
    :D

SIXTEEN HUNDRED POSTS OF GARBAGE!!!
    :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Infinity isn't a number, think instead of a set of infinite items, then think of a set of infinite items that is different size to another set of infinite items.

You mean like saying the (infinite) set of real numbers is larger than the (infinite) set of cardinal numbers (put ordinal, but meant cardinal)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens if you subtract infinity from infinity, 0 or -infinity? .

You get a very bad headache and spend an infinity querying the answer which would still be infinity
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    The Universe explodes and we all die a fiery death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if you want to look at something really strange, google "eulers identity"

e^i pi +1=0

How can anyone conceive of stuff like this. And how can it be right?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    You get a very bad headache and spend an infinity querying the answer which would still be infinity

or the correct answer, which is .....

ZERO
    NEGATIVE INFINITY
    ZERO

oops
    forgot my hat again :D
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    There was a Horizon programme once about a load of eggheads living/working in a house in America whose purpose it was to have deep thoughts about such as this thread title. Math/Physics/Astronomy etc
    Personally I have no bloody clue (and I think that's the right answer)

A sort of Big Bang Brother?
  • Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack-UK wrote: »
    The answer is most definitely 20.
    ...but only in base 21 (base 10).
    And if you want to look at something really strange, google "eulers identity"

e^i pi +1=0

How can anyone conceive of stuff like this. And how can it be right?
    I hope you're just being silly now. :) This is basic school maths and easily explained.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skiller wrote: »
    This is basic school maths and easily explained.
    Or if you're really thick - God did it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Or if you're really thick - God did it.
    Uh-oh...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A hotel with an infinite number of rooms and an infinite number of guests can never be full. There will always be free rooms
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More maths - What is the smallest positive integer not definable in under eleven words?
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To get the hang of infinity imagine an infinite number of buckets and what that might look like.
    Now fill those buckets with golf balls and adjust your concept of infinity.
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    More maths - What is the smallest positive integer not definable in under eleven words?

Best I've found is 1,101,101

One million, one hundred and one thousand, one hundred and one

For 12 words, it's only 20 higher - 1,101,121

One million, one hundred and one thousand, one hundred and twenty one