[US] Survivor 28: Cagayan - Brains vs Brawns vs Beauty

Comments

• RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed that episode, not as good as the premiere but still a solid episode and definitely another plus point for all newbie seasons.

The weather looked seriously horrendous. Some people may complain that focusing so much on the elements took away time for strategy focus but I liked it because that's how the early seasons were. And I think how certain individuals react to the elements gives further insight into their characters.

I thought Jeremiah made a bad decision. As already mentioned, he could have easily positioned himself has number one within that alliance with Brice and Morgan. Now he is in a four person alliance where he will always play second fiddle to LJ. I kind of liked Brice and was disappointed he went, especially over Jefra and Alexis who haven't shown anything so far. I hope Morgan can pull through, I like her, and not just for those obvious two reasons. ;-)

I'm getting really good vibes from this season. :)
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    I think the worst thing about Tony is not what he's doing right now but how he'll be portrayed in the future. The recap of last week at the start of this show said that he manipulated his WHOLE tribe. Which sums up the over-embellished edit that can suffocate the show.
    I wish they'd play up a bit more of his buffoon side. Last week was pretty entertaining - lying unconvincingly to Sarah and building that spy shack.
    I do get the sense that it may all come crashing down for him though. I think he will successfully take out Cliff, and maybe someone like Lindsey is tribe fodder who could be an easy vote-off sooner rather than later. But after that, with the positive way Sarah has been portrayed, I think Tony's lies may come back to haunt him.

I think at the moment my random fave is Woo. He is the type of Survivor character that does UTR right - the few moments he is onscreen he unleashes a contagious amount of enthusiasm and positivity while the rest of his tribe are mentally and physically beaten. I think his role on The Brawns will become more significant, even if it's just as the likeable morale-booster. I thought it was interesting that Cliff got no attention this episode but Woo did, when clearly Cliff is the more significant character right now.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think at the moment my random fave is Woo. He is the type of Survivor character that does UTR right - the few moments he is onscreen he unleashes a contagious amount of enthusiasm and positivity while the rest of his tribe are mentally and physically beaten. I think his role on The Brawns will become more significant, even if it's just as the likeable morale-booster. I thought it was interesting that Cliff got no attention this episode but Woo did, when clearly Cliff is the more significant character right now.

Interesting observation. I have no clue what will happen to the Brawn tribe next week - it can be Sarah being a dumb fool; it can be Cliff being ousted according to Tony's plan, or it can be an uneasy awakening for Sarah, many scenarios can happen. Happy to see Woo get a confessional this time.
    Forum Member
    Next episode certainly looks interesting....

in spoilers for anyone not wanting to know about the preview for next episode:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJSuQu6ey3c

Sarah refers to getting 'him' out to Woo, so it can only be Cliff or Tony.
    No way would Woo be that calm and collected if it was blindsiding Cliff.
    Trish seems onboard with throwing the challenge aswell, but she has been pretty okay with Tony so far.
    Makes me think something must have happened to put this into motion. Sarah sounds particularly blunt in her closing words.
    Either way, can't wait. lol
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right decision made, I was rooting for Spencer this whole episode!

Glad as well that Woo didn't throw the challenge, because I didn't want Cliff going just yet :D
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Sarah is an Idiot, hope she is blindsided big time! Overall a better episode and J'tia going was amazing because she was useless, shame she didnt go on day 3.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Right decision made, I was rooting for Spencer this whole episode!

Glad as well that Woo didn't throw the challenge, because I didn't want Cliff going just yet :D

I agree really felt for Spencer in this episode, he was doing all the work and J'tia was useless as always.

I think the merging off three tribes into two will be good for Spencer, Kass and Tasha as all three will becoming swing votes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J'Tia was just hilarious to watch. She was so clueless simply how to return the balls to her teammates.

Despite the fact that she was useless, I think Tasha and Kass made a wrong decision
    Forum Member
    Morgan stirring things up is literally the only thing going on with the Beauties. Although now that they have chickens at least they've doubled the tribe's IQ.

I was glad the Brawns didn't manage to throw the challenge. Can't believe they are that desperate to vote Cliff out that they are wanting to sabotage themselves after just 3 episodes.
    Disappointed in Sarah for playing too personally, especially when it's just Tony's lies and there's no reason for it anyway. *facepalm*
    The more I see Woo the more I like him.

The desperation of Jeff at TC to save Spencer was totally expected but still cringeworthy.
    J'Tia had a limited shelf-life, although she was quite likeable, but Survivor is clearly not the game for her. But I don't feel sorry for Spencer at all, as he said he wanted to play the most flawless amazing game in his pre-show interviews. Well for saying that karma is now making him work extra hard to stay in. You should play to win not for the cameras anyway.
    I don't get how he seemingly hasn't had the chance to play either, he's played, just not very well so far.

All 3 tribes seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut so I can't wait for next week.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think J'Tia was the only one to blame at challenges. And though Jeff highlighted her with the flag I was puzzled why it wasn't pulled up again when the other team had caught up, at least the editing showed no attempt to get it pulled up. Almost like the challenge was thrown. Spencer has been pretty good at challenges but they've still been losing with him, it's always a gamble as to when the merge will come as well.

Thanks meglosmurmurs for putting the preview stuff in spoilers. It annoys me on the show how they don't leave it to the very end and I have to skip over it to get to the eliminated contestants thoughts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there ever been a winner who wanted to throw a challenge? As I type this, Todd from China comes to mind but it was presented as Todd being clever. This just shows us that Sarah has been completely fooled - so I think this really harms her chances of winning this thing. At no point has she questioned if Tony is telling her the truth. Tony, on the other hand, is proving to be a likeable villain. He didn't come up with the plan to throw the challenge and he made sure he cheered loudly when they beat the Brains tribe.

I already liked Woo for his enthusiasm. He is abit harder to read than initially appears. I thought he was supertight with Cliff so was surprised he in his confessionals he appeared to consider voting him off at such an early stage - but I was glad he didn't throw the challenge. I think Cliff would be loyal to him going forward. The problem is everyone is thinking of the end game far too early.

Morgan had a good episode. Whether she was telling the truth or not is hard to tell. She seems peeved that Jeremiah wasn't as enamoured of her womanly charms as much as him deceiving her and Brice.

And finally - I am so glad J'tia has gone. She didn't add anything to the game. You can see that Spencer is going to be fun to watch moving ahead. And the way he promised to be loyal and hugged Tasha, as well as last week's episode when Kass said to Tasha, "Don't betray me for Spencer" might be foreshadowing that those two stay tight but at some point Kass ends up going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I actually liked J'Tia so I am kind of sad that she is gone. I think despite her craziness, she had an honesty about herself and was quite straight-forward. It was probably the right time for her to go now though.

It does bug me that Jeff was prompting Kass and Tasha to vote out J'Tia though. Typically, he always sides with the athletic male, and in Rob's podcast J'Tia even mentions that Kass and Tasha were being steered in their decision to vote a certain way.

I did find it impressive the way that Morgan turned things around on Jeremiah in quite a convincing and public way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I am glad tribe swap shakes things up next week. Right time. Cliff, Brains and Morgan are saved.

Sarah's gonna be portrayed as the Idiot of the Season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't understand this desperation to get rid of Cliff as he is so rich. Surely it is better to sit next to a multi-millionaire at the end than anyone else? As long as you have good enough social skills, then I think the jury would give the money to the other person than the super-rich one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not my favourite episode this week but I'm glad that Spencer survived, he put in hard work in that challenge and deserved to survive over J'Tia, who was kind of likable in her uselessness but had no idea what she was doing out there.

Impressed again with Morgan's ability to think on the spot and spin a lie to her advantage. I hope she's in it for the long haul.

Sarah didn't come across well at all in this episode. She has well and truly been hood-winked, and the whole "Two cops at the end!" thing is already obnoxious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    So far I have enjoyed this season, even if this latest ep ws a little telegraphed what was going to happen. The real only surprise is that it took so long for it to happen. J'Ti in the challenges was prety damned bad, even without the rice incident.

Am so glad that they didn't jus give tht tribe another replacement bag of rice as they did when Brandon H did the same thing. IMO, if they do that they should be made to give somehing away, like they did in S2 Australia, where they had to rrade their shelter for food. :)

But back to this current season, J'Tia must surely rank alongside the likes of Lisi (S14: Fiji) for worst Survivor ever. I haven't listened to the RHAP exi interview, but i seems from what I have heard of what was said, she was every bit as delusional even all hese months later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preview showed the two tribes after the switchup
    the new orange tribe had 3 Brains, 3 Beauties and Sarah
    Poor Sarah HAHAHA
    Forum Member
    To be honest I didn't find J'Tia that bad. Her two weaknesses were being clumsy in challenges (something I can relate to) and throwing out the rice. But apart from that she was quite likeable, I didn't see her unnecessarily shout or scream at anyone, she spoke up well for herself, she took her exit with dignity and obviously had such a strong social game that she could survive a vote-off despite throwing out the tribe's rice.
    On RHAP they even said that she gave a more convincing argument to stay than Spencer did, I wonder what would have happened if Jeff hadn't continuously badgered Tasha and Kass at TC?
    chrono88 wrote: »
    Preview showed the two tribes after the switchup
    the new orange tribe had 3 Brains, 3 Beauties and Sarah
    Poor Sarah HAHAHA

about preview....
    I did have to laugh when I saw them. Lucky Brains all staying together, while Sarah will probably end up as a swing vote. Although Morgan is also on that tribe and might turn against the other Beauties, even though the preview makes out that Alexis is wanting to flip.
    On the other tribe, the Brawns loyalty to eachother is going to be tested, but I hope they stay together for the time being and take out the Beauties on their tribe.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I was even blind sided! When LJ didn't play his idol I though 'you idiot nooooo' then I had a face like Woo's :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a blindside. I thought LJ might be going, but to think about it - Tony wouldn't pass off a chance to take Cliff out. So everything made sense
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great episode. I was also set for another person to be leaving with an idol in their pocket, but LJ must have been pretty confident in Trish and Tony to not play his idol.

I really like how there isn't one big alliance dominating this season. There are fractures everywhere, makes it very exciting.
    Forum Member
    Was an okay episode, it's been foreshadowing Cliff's boot for awhile now.
    Cliff was alright but I'm not too bothered he's gone although everyone who was a part of the blindside I'm not exactly rooting for.
    How many times was it portrayed as a bad move? lol even LJ and Tony said it was a bad move (at least for Trish and the Brawns) and they were a part of it. This could be setting up the Brawns downfall. I think Tony has for sure set himself alot more work to do now. He had a firm footing with the Brawns with Sarah, Trish and then also Woo being willing to get rid of Cliff when they needed to. But now he's got rid of a loyal Brawn, split half his former tribe and his main ally now is someone who is letting their emotions dictate everything they do. He's kind of lost Sarah at least for the time being.

They also foreshadowed LJ being a huge threat and that he must not make the merge, and this is without anyone knowing about his idol. I was kind of hoping he would get the boot because his confessionals might just be the most boring ones I've ever had to listen to. That voice is so devoid of personality, he sounds asleep.

However, I find myself really rooting for the new Aparri. I think Jeremiah is the only true dud on that tribe. It's hilarious watching the Brains now in the position of power while both the Brawns and Beauties fall into the same trap so many 'constantly winning' tribes do. Where they start over-playing and allow personal grudges to sabotage their numbers advantage.
    It does make it unpredictable to watch though, just not smart on their part.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a great move getting rid of Cliff. Once again a blindside, and the looks of Woo and Lindsay especially at the end was priceless.

I enjoy the Lindsay vs Trish thing.:D

For most of the episode I was thinking it would flip back on Trish in the end, and she would go. She was getting a lot of screen-time for someone who I never really considered as that strong of a player. In the end though - I think this signals the beginning of the end for Brawn. I still see Sarah making in good with the brains (the new front-runners) and going pretty far, but there is a big question-mark over most of the others.

I think if Solana lose again, Lindsay will go. If Aparri lose (I too was really rooting for this tribe), unfortunately I think it would be Morgan. However, I could also imagine Morgan working well with Brains so not entirely sure there.

Great season so far. Got off to one of the best starts. Lots of likeable players and very unpredictable.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Morgan will be fine, they made it clear that the Brains thought Alexis came across as desperate the way she begged for an alliance straight away. Plus the way they have edited Morgan (showing that clip of the second Tribal Council where Brice was voted out on the 'Previously' segment last night) to me seems as if she lasts a while, at least longer than Alexis and Jeremiah.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I freakin' love Trish, and her evil man-laugh :D It may not be the best strategic move, but I always like it when the tribe outcast/underdog flips on their old tribe. That's why I liked Cochran flipping on his old tribe in 'South Pacific' even though it was a bad strategy move. I know we don't see everything, but the only things Trish seems to do wrong is speak in an annoying accent and be old. I'm getting quite sick of Lindsey's 'jokes' about Trish's age tbh. And as much as I like new Aparri I hope Solana win immunity just to show it wasn't a bad idea losing Cliff.

I'm glad Brains have now gone into a position of power, they're three of my favourites atm. Hopefully they bring Sarah in and get rid of Alexis. Her and Jeremiah are the only two on that tribe I don't really care for. Don't dislike, but could take or leave them. Morgan seems to be the only Beauty with any game, I felt sorry for her when Sarah accidentally outed her for lying about the rice/idol clue, but no on seemed to bring it up but Alexis. Morgan's clearly not tight with the Beauties so she'd probably be loyal to the brains, moreso than Sarah post-merge at least, they'd be smart to align with her I reckon.

Great elimination, great blindside, and I like the majority of this cast, even Tony and his attempts to be some great Survivor villain. I can't actually pick one favourite from this cast, I like so many.