EE Why do all the EP's have no interest in Roxy?

iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
Forum Member
Since Santer left, all of the EP's have had literally no interest in Roxy. Why?

Under Santer, she was by far my favorite character. It was her and Ronnie that actually got me in to the show. She's such a fantastic character. She's fun and amusing, yet she still has so much potential to carry out dramatic material. But NONE of the EP's since Santer left have any interest in her.

I mean her last actual SL was her pregnancy in 2008! Since then, they've kept her off screen for the majority of the time, in Ronnie's shadow. They only ever use her if they need her for some plot. Like the Kat/Alfie/Roxy love triangle. They just needed someone to fill the position Roxy was in to try and make the audience root for Kat and Alfie.

She's such a good character, but the EP's seem adamant not to invest in her. I mean during DTC's interview, when he was listing all the characters who had big SL's coming up, I was amazed Roxy wasn't on there! The majority of the audience can't warm to her at all because they refuse to engage in her character and portray the depth to her on screen. She's irrelevant and it's so annoying because she deserves so much better! Bring Roxy to the front of the show!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the female characters are going to play second fiddle to the likes of Sharon, Kat, Stacey and Ronnie.

We may not like all these characters, but they are arguably the most important and prominent female characters in the show since the new millennium. Bearing in mind the amount of screen-time and storylines they were involved in over the years.
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shes not one of these characters thats good enough to be a main player, shes not interesting or charismatic. Shes had next to no development over the years.

Whilst Ronnie was out of it 2011,2012 and 2013 she was pointless
  • BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hetty100 wrote: »
    shes not one of these characters thats good enough to be a main player, shes not interesting or charismatic. Shes had next to no development over the years.

Completely agree.
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always liked Roxy, but she has always played second fiddle to the likes of Ronnie and Kat. She did well to last during the two years that Ronnie was off screen.

The last storyline of her own she had, was just after Ronnie left when she and Jack had a custody battle over Amy.

She was really interesting when she was the only person who believed Jean when she was being conned by Michael. I liked that relationship she developed with Jean.
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone can have a storyline at the same time, even though there's a lot more going on in EastEnders now than there used to be. DTC created Roxy so I'm sure he'll give Roxy a storyline at the conclusion of Ronnie's storyline.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    All the female characters are going to play second fiddle to the likes of Sharon, Kat, Stacey and Ronnie.

We may not like all these characters, but they are arguably the most important and prominent female characters in the show since the new millennium. Bearing in mind the amount of screen-time and storylines they were involved in over the years.
    But quite a few of them like Lauren still have SL's and the EP's show a certain investment in them. They're very half arsed when writing for Roxy.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They thought enough of Roxy to remove Kat from the Vic and put Roxy there in her place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They thought enough of Roxy to remove Kat from the Vic and put Roxy there in her place.

LOL that means nothing they put Alfie in the Vic:o:D
    Forum Member

Yes she is. I know that I'd be very interested to see more from her since discovering what her father's really like. I mean we haven't really seen much of an fallout from her since that, she's bottled it all up. She's also very fun and lively. When they featured her prominently in 2007-2008 and showed all these traits clearly, she was a popular character. I understand her whole 'dumb blonde' thing can make people not take her very seriously, but there is still definite potential for her to shine. It's all well saying that she's had little development and has done nothing, but if she was given the chance then I'm sure she'd be great!
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL that means nothing they put Alfie in the Vic:o:D

Yeah but regardless of what you or I may think of him he is a very popular character. I'm not exactly sure how or why but he is. My main point though was that if they didn't value Roxy they wouldn't have made her landlady.
    Forum Member
    Bertypop wrote: »
    I've always liked Roxy, but she has always played second fiddle to the likes of Ronnie and Kat. She did well to last during the two years that Ronnie was off screen.

The last storyline of her own she had, was just after Ronnie left when she and Jack had a custody battle over Amy.

She was really interesting when she was the only person who believed Jean when she was being conned by Michael. I liked that relationship she developed with Jean.
    I agree, it's very annoying. There's so much they're holding back with her.

And that wasn't even much of a SL. I barely remember any of it other than Roxy getting drunk and leaving Amy somewhere.

I agree with her relationship with Jean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    Yes she is. I know that I'd be very interested to see more from her since discovering what her father's really like. I mean we haven't really seen much of an fallout from her since that, she's bottled it all up. She's also very fun and lively. When they featured her prominently in 2007-2008 and showed all these traits clearly, she was a popular character. I understand her whole 'dumb blonde' thing can make people not take her very seriously, but there is still definite potential for her to shine. It's all well saying that she's had little development and has done nothing, but if she was given the chance then I'm sure she'd be great!

well its a bit late now they should have done it over the years, what would be the point of addressing what Archie did now???:confused: It came out years ago.
    she not interesting, shes not got the tragic backstory that Sharon, Kat and Ronnie do, shes not the sort of character that people would want at the fore front, she the character thats good for other peoples sl.
    Forum Member
    Kim_x wrote: »
    Not everyone can have a storyline at the same time, even though there's a lot more going on in EastEnders now than there used to be. DTC created Roxy so I'm sure he'll give Roxy a storyline at the conclusion of Ronnie's storyline.
    Obviously not but when she hasn't had a big SL of her own since 2008, it becomes more of an issue. There's so much they've been holding back with her all these years and it's so annoying to watch! I mean look at Lauren. She's having a big SL of her own this year, even though she's just finished 2 big SL's that were some of the biggest of 2013.

And everyone goes on about Denise getting no SL's, well look at Roxy! Denise had a huge SL in 2010, and is currently in a relationship with Ian which has been given quite a lot of screen time towards. I know people could argue that Denise in her relationship with Ian is the same as Roxy in her relationship with Alfie but I disagree. They've given Ian and Denise a much fairer chance. They gave little scenes of Roxy and Alfie that made us able to root for them, and sympathize with Roxy. They were desperate to portray Roxy as the villain. They've given Ian and Denise much more screen time and made them much more likable.
    Forum Member
    That's not saying much at all. They only did that to make us think of Roxy as some sort of villain that was keeping Kat and Alfie away from each other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously not but when she hasn't had a big SL of her own since 2008, it becomes more of an issue. There's so much they've been holding back with her all these years and it's so annoying to watch! I mean look at Lauren. She's having a big SL of her own this year, even though she's just finished 2 big SL's that were some of the biggest of 2013.

And everyone goes on about Denise getting no SL's, well look at Roxy! Denise had a huge SL in 2010, and is currently in a relationship with Ian which has been given quite a lot of screen time towards. I know people could argue that Denise in her relationship with Ian is the same as Roxy in her relationship with Alfie but I disagree. They've given Ian and Denise a much fairer chance. They gave little scenes of Roxy and Alfie that made us able to root for them, and sympathize with Roxy. They were desperate to portray Roxy as the villain. They've given Ian and Denise much more screen time and made them much more likable.

actually shes in a sl now where her sisters a crazy obsessive killer, isnt that big enough for you??:confused:
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Roxy but she does need some development as a character. I would like to see her find a new career and a decent man.
    Forum Member
    well its a bit late now they should have done it over the years, what would be the point of addressing what Archie did now???:confused: It came out years ago.
    she not interesting, shes not got the tragic backstory that Sharon, Kat and Ronnie do, shes not the sort of character that people would want at the fore front, she the character thats good for other peoples sl.
    That's what I'm ranting about in this thread. Having said that though, in real life it can actually take years for people to open up and get to grips with things. And Roxy is one of those people, Archie is a subject that she doesn't feel comfortable opening up about. To anyone.

And I disagree. Maybe Ronnie and Kat, but Sharon? Sorry but I find it much more 'tragic' that a girl who had such a special connection with her father all her life discovered he was actually a sick, evil rapist years later that raped her own SISTER rather than a girl who had crappy parents that divorced. I'm not saying Sharon's backstory wasn't tragic, but Roxy's was much worse. And you say that now but that's only because she hasn't been given good material for so long. In 2007-2008 she was quite central and I remember her being very popular!
    Forum Member
    actually shes in a sl now where her sisters a crazy obsessive killer, isnt that big enough for you??:confused:
    What has that got to do with Roxy? That's Ronnie's SL, not her own. Obviously Roxy will play a part in it, but that's just it. She'll be used for someone else's SL like she always is. Why are they so adamant not to give her a SL of her own? Even if she wasn't to be bang at the forefront of the show, I still don't see why she can't get HER own SL. Smaller characters are allowed them too!
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I quite like Roxy but she does need some development as a character. I would like to see her find a new career and a decent man.
    I wouldn't want them to stretch too far away from Roxy's roots as she is and always will be a bit wild and carefree. But I do agree, some development that can make her likable needs to be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has that got to do with Roxy? That's Ronnie's SL, not her own. Obviously Roxy will play a part in it, but that's just it. She'll be used for someone else's SL like she always is. Why are they so adamant not to give her a SL of her own? Even if she wasn't to be bang at the forefront of the show, I still don't see why she can't get HER own SL. Smaller characters are allowed them too!

er quite a lot actually shes the reason behind Ronnies Motivation.

and she plays a part in other peoples sl, because thats what her character is good for nothing else. and tbh thats nothing to sneer at, they need characters like this, theres nothing wrong with it, Some characters with potential never get used at all, cough Esther in HO cough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roxy Not having had a SL since 2008 isn't strictly true - she almost married Alfie at one stage, let it not be forgotten?!??

She does tend to play second fiddle to Ronnie and Kat though, it's true.

Liking the idea of a lesbian sisters SL scenario between her and Ronnie though LOL.
    Forum Member
    er quite a lot actually shes the reason behind Ronnies Motivation.

and she plays a part in other peoples sl, because thats what her character is good for nothing else. and tbh thats nothing to sneer at, they need characters like this, theres nothing wrong with it, Some characters with potential never get used at all, cough Esther in HO cough.
    She hated Carl because he was a bad influence on Roxy, yes. But she MURDERED him when he tried to sexually abuse her. Yes Roxy's played a part in the SL but it's not her own.

And that's a very small minded way of looking at it. She's like that now, yes. But with the right material she could easily carry her own SL. Esther in HO had a huge SL throughout 2012-2013. Yes she's underused now but her potential has been used over the years more than Roxy's ever has.
    Forum Member
    Roxy Not having had a SL since 2008 isn't strictly true - she almost married Alfie at one stage, let it not be forgotten?!??

She does tend to play second fiddle to Ronnie and Kat though, it's true.

Liking the idea of a lesbian sisters SL scenario between her and Ronnie though LOL.
    As I've said though, that wasn't her SL. She was used because they needed a 'villain' to get in between Kat and Alfie to bring them back together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But quite a few of them like Lauren still have SL's and the EP's show a certain investment in them. They're very half arsed when writing for Roxy.

Slightly premature I know - but congratulations on your up-coming 3K posts, OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've said though, that wasn't her SL. She was used because they needed a 'villain' to get in between Kat and Alfie to bring them back together.

Ok fair enough.

Roxy doesn't suit the "villain" character, though.

Still quite a big SL to be involved in and as far as I can see Roxy has a lot of regular screen time though it's true no major stories of her own, it's true.