EE: Ricky Norwood Suspended

Comments

• Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    It's not really about what he did, it's that he showed such poor judgement for somebody in the public eye. I really don't care what the guy does in private, but he was stupid enough to be filmed doing it. EastEnders has a huge fan base among teens - one of their young stars being filmed smoking a joint does not exactly set a good example to young people. They are right to suspend him; he should have known better.

As for the 'convicted murderer' - Leslie Grantham had served his time in prison, and the offence took place many years before he ever appeared in the show. That situation is totally different to a current cast member smoking an illegal substance on camera.

Nobody is denying that he should have been more careful, however I find the way the media reports on stories like this distasteful and The Sun is pure trash. It's obvious that the BBC has an image to protect and with a pre-watershed programme it is understandable that they would frown upon this, however I think that people sometimes overestimate just how impressionable teenagers are. I know for a fact when I was at school (in the not too distant past) that people didn't smoke or drink because they watched a soap actor indulge in this behaviour, to be honest the ones that did were the type of people who would have done it anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the mean time Barbara Knox drunk driver continues her acting career without any hitch of delay sigh!

Oh by the way he wont be missed as he sucks at acting big time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He got off lightly and should thank his lucky stars.

If I were in charge he would of been fired for gross misconduct .
  • BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand what he's done wrong. How does masturbation warrant suspension?
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Nobody is denying that he should have been more careful, however I find the way the media reports on stories like this distasteful and The Sun is pure trash. It's obvious that the BBC has an image to protect and with a pre-watershed programme it is understandable that they would frown on this, however I think that people sometimes overestimate just how impressionable teenagers are. I know for a fact when I was at school (in the not too distant past) that people didn't smoke or drink because they watched a soap actor indulge in this behaviour, to be honest the ones that did were the type of people who would have done it anyway.

I was a teenager not so long ago too, and I know that people won't start smoking because they saw an actor do it. However some teens, especially younger ones, are very impressionable, and had the BBC not suspended him they would be seen to be condoning illegal behaviour. Teenagers will come into contact with drugs, you can't stop that. But you can stop people in the public glamourising the use of illegal drugs. What Norwood did was wholly irresponsible.

I don't think the way the story was reported is the issue. A well-known soap actor caught on camera using an illegal substance is a perfectly legitimate news story.
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    I was a teenager not so long ago too, and I know that people won't start smoking because they saw an actor do it. However some teens, especially younger ones, are very impressionable, and had the BBC not suspended him they would be seen to be condoning illegal behaviour.

I don't think the way the story was reported is the issue. A well-known soap actor caught on camera using an illegal substance is a perfectly legitimate news story.

For the widely costumed gutter press in this country yes it is. I guess you're right some people regardless of their age are impressionable because they read that shite.
  • Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Aw I cant help but feel sorry for him, however it is a criminal offense to be in possession of illegal substances. Smoking a joint while getting jiggy with yourself during in a webcam action is rather daft when he is in the role that he is in.

Chris Fountain was sacked for bringing Corrie into disrepute and his actions weren't even illegal.

Is it still an offence if you say you smoke it for medical reasons?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's still an offence!
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yup, I've heard of OAP's being hauled into court even though there's not much doubt that the drug gives them some relief from their conditions. They might have been growing the plant though which they'll take more seriously. Either way though it's still illegal no matter what and the BBC wouldn't just take his word about it anyway without his doctor backing him up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Yup, I've heard of OAP's being hauled into court even though there's not much doubt that the drug gives them some relief from their conditions. They might have been growing the plant though which they'll take more seriously. Either way though it's still illegal no matter what and the BBC wouldn't just take his word about it anyway without his doctor backing him up.

Your really showing your ignorance there when you say you doubt it works. My uncle smoked it when he was suffering from cancer my aunt had a go at him but then she could see how it was the only thing really helping his pain and helped him forget more than anything else in the short time he had left. So it does help I know people who smoke it because they've problems with there back and know people who have terrible arthritis that smoke it that says it really helps them. I've even seen documentary on BBCthree about canabis smokers it shown nurses going home after stressful day they would smoke it as we'll it shown all sorts of professions that smoked it. Shown how the crime rate in lower than anyone else in the UK in Amsterdam. I personnally think it shown be legalised.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC had to show to do something they are publicly funded corporation, they couldn't been seen to condone his behaviour of smoking illegal substance, look at it anyway it was a illegal drug and against policy, that being said his human and made a stupid mistake of ill judgement and should be thankful its two months and not a P45 and hopefully he remember not to be filmed smoking a joint or playing with himself on a webcam again, lesson learned.

as for the sun and woman involved are just disgusting, the rag is lowest of bottom feeders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your really showing your ignorance there when you say you doubt it works. My uncle smoked it when he was suffering from cancer my aunt had a go at him but then she could see how it was the only thing really helping his pain and helped him forget more than anything else in the short time he had left. So it does help I know people who smoke it because they've problems with there back and know people who have terrible arthritis that smoke it that says it really helps them. I've even seen documentary on BBCthree about canabis smokers it shown nurses going home after stressful day they would smoke it as we'll it shown all sorts of professions that smoked it. Shown how the crime rate in lower than anyone else in the UK in Amsterdam. I personnally think it shown be legalised.

Excuse me? You're showing your own ignorance by not reading my post properly. I said 'there's not much doubt that the drug gives them some relief from their conditions'.

Personally I wouldn't begrudge anyone who is in pain finding relief this way if it worked for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Excuse me? You're showing your own ignorance by not reading my post properly. I said 'there's not much doubt that the drug gives them relief from their conditions'.

Personally I wouldn't begrudge anyone who is in pain finding relief this way if it worked for them.

:blush: sorry for jumping the gun just read back your post apologies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :blush: just read back your post apologies.

No probs :) I can see it's something you feel strongly about so when you saw the word 'doubt' saw red a bit :D

I happen to agree, I'm not certain about general release but I think it should be provided on the NHS for people with various illnesses where it helps them with their conditions. Seems ludicrous not to TBH.
  • LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Government lock it down because of its benefits, kinda ridiculous really
    There's FAR worse stuff than a health plant
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes cannabis has it's benefits .

But they are outweighed by its dangers to mental health .

This is why it's illegal

Otherwise everyone with arthritis would be sat at home stoned instead of at the docs .

Don't you think if this drug was harmless, it would of been legalised by now ?

We have to have laws otherwise society isn't worth jack shit
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Well i did say he wont be sacked. :D
    Forum Member
    Government lock it down because of its benefits, kinda ridiculous really
    There's FAR worse stuff than a health plant
    Tobacco is far worse.
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,532
    Forum Member
    It's funny the difference the BBC and ITV deal with the naughty activies of their actors/ soap stars

I mean is Chris Fountain had been in EE instead of Corrie, he'd have probably only got a suspension like Ricky. But ITV just sacked him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    Yes cannabis has it's benefits .

But they are outweighed by its dangers to mental health .

This is why it's illegal

Otherwise everyone with arthritis would be sat at home stoned instead of at the docs .

Don't you think if this drug was harmless, it would of been legalised by now ?

We have to have laws otherwise society isn't worth jack shit

It's fine in moderation Only if you over do it like anything else. I don't so why it shouldn't be as it said before the crime rate in Amsterdam is low they have Internet cafés were free to smoke it and other business etc. Half the MPS smoke it David Cameron's even smoked it when he was younger but yet that's ok? Singers film stars the list is endless And I bet half the cast and crew on EastEnders have a couple of joints at the weekend they arnt SnowWhite.
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He just ruined his acting career I bet he will be fired when he returns with a quick exit
    Forum Member
    It's funny the difference the BBC and ITV deal with the naughty activies of their actors/ soap stars

I mean is Chris Fountain had been in EE instead of Corrie, he'd have probably only got a suspension like Ricky. But ITV just sacked him.
    No it's just Chris Fountain's Antics were alot more serious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just ruined his acting career I bet he will be fired when he returns with a quick exit

Half the cast and crew there's that many you think he's the only one out of the many actors and hundreds of crew that smokes it?
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,532
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    No it's just Chris Fountain's Antics were alot more serious.

They weren't really
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They weren't really

What rapping about Rape you don't think that's worse?