Options

39 Steps (Alfred Hitchcock)

Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
Forum Member
✭✭
Just watched this on YouTube. In some ways, a little bit slow and dull by today's standards. On the other hand, the absence of an excess of loud background music, stunts, rapid cutting about, violence and flashy hi-tech gadgetry is refreshing in comparison to today's thrillers. The scenes out on the Scottish moors at night were extremely atmospheric, as well.

I've heard the novel on which the film was based was actually very different to the film, and also the central character, Hannay, appeared in several other novels, in which he was a secret agent. It is never actually stated what he does for a living in the film, or why he has come to England temporarily from Canada, as the film makes clear he has.

Anyone else seen this film (as if a film by Hitchcock will have been unwatched by visitors to a film sub-forum!)?

Comments

• Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it a few times way back when and really enjoyed it. Might need a rewatch. Liked Donat as an actor and he's good in this; good chemistry with Madeleine Carroll and the location work is very atmospheric, I recall. The Mr Memory scenes I found very tense!

Liked the Robert Powell version too. Apparently closer to the book, although suspect the clock face Harold Lloyd stuff at the end wasn't in the book? The Hitchcock version definately brings back memories of the days the BBC used to regularly show old films during the day. Cosy times.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good film. My third favourite Hitchcock movie (after Psycho and The Lady Vanishes).
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the audience member asks 'what causes pip in poultry?' I was reminded of Leslie Welch the memory man (sport questions only I think) being asked on TV who won a particular chariot race in some year bc. He didn't know.
  • Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard the novel on which the film was based was actually very different to the film, and also the central character, Hannay, appeared in several other novels, in which he was a secret agent. It is never actually stated what he does for a living in the film, or why he has come to England temporarily from Canada, as the film makes clear he has.
    http://youtu.be/MVo7uK3vlYw?t=22m55s
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Very good film. My third favourite Hitchcock movie (after Psycho and The Lady Vanishes).

Snap - mine too(and I put Psycho and The Lady Vanishes 1st and 2nd as well). I must admit that when I first saw The 39 Steps - I didn't get it. But on a re-watch many years later - I did. It's Hitchcock's best "man on the run" film. Most of it was shot in a studio - you can hardly tell. The most tense bit is the
    "You mean this hand, don't you?" sequence with the bad guy and Donat and then he gets shot! - A real cliffhanger!
    . There are loads of good sequences in it, the train stuff on the Forth Bridge, the ham sandwiches and stockings sequence, the helicopter-type thingy chase on the Scottish moors, Mr. Memory, etc.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a fan of Hitchcock but I have never seen it. I saw the BBC version with Rupert Penry Jones and Lydia Leonard and that was okay.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Brilliant film with loads of stand out Hitchcock moments.
    Added to stripecats list I would put the new trick of wiping from the shot of Hanney, the girl and the two police impersonators in the back of the car, ( studio shot) using the side of the car to wipe to the outdoor shot of the car driving away down the road making it look like one continuous shot as though the camera had pulled out of the moving car window as it turned the corner.
    You probably have to see it to understand what I am blathering on about.
    He was the grand master and invevtor of many camera tricks taken for granted now.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Just watched this on YouTube. In some ways, a little bit slow and dull by today's standards. On the other hand, the absence of an excess of loud background music, stunts, rapid cutting about, violence and flashy hi-tech gadgetry is refreshing in comparison to today's thrillers. The scenes out on the Scottish moors at night were extremely atmospheric, as well.

Anyone else seen this film (as if a film by Hitchcock will have been unwatched by visitors to a film sub-forum!)?

I thought he had made his fortune by mining in Africa and was, therefore a gentleman of leisure. I thought he was visiting England on business.

The Robert Powell film version of the story is also quite good. Some great outdoor shots of Scotland.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An absolutely wonderful film, first saw it as a child and have loved it ever since. If you get the chance go and see the stage version, it's equally as good but for very different reasons.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Robert Powell film version of the story is also quite good. Some great outdoor shots of Scotland.
    That's the only one I've seen (and only then cause it came free with some paper years ago) but I do remember thoroughly enjoying it. It spawned a prequel tv series called Hannay but I never got round to checking it out.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Donat is probably one of the most underrated actors of all time, always liked this 1930's version probably mainly because of Donat, his performance in Goodbye Mr Chips & the less well known The Magic Box are sublime imo.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member

I did like the Hitchcock one - but I actually prefer the 1959 version with Kenneth More. The version with Robert Powell is also very good.