Options

Year after year they can't do basic maths

PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
Forum Member
✭✭
It was shocking to see those girls unable to do basic maths and making complete fools of themselves in the brewery and in front of millions of viewers.

This is not a one off though, it happens year after year . These are supposed to be the brightest in the country chosen from the thousands that apply .

Is the failure to do basic maths mainly down to bad teaching, especially among girls ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't really pick the brightest in the country. If they did we'd hardly ever see these type of mistakes. I think being the brightest isn't high on the producers priority list when selecting candidates.

Teachers can teach a decent level of maths. But you can't make and egghead out of a eggbox.

Obviously in any real job, anyone without a basic Math qualification would not get to interview or the criteria for applicants will require some qualification.

If you have even basic GCSE maths, you should be able to manage percentages, ratios, fractions, which is all they were asked in essence.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim said on You're Fired! that it was down to pressure as they had all been banding figures about on the journey up. I'd imagine that pressure got even worse once the first barrel of killer beer had to be poured away:D

Mind you I've often wondered why they seem regularly oblivious to their own profit/loss on the tasks and have to wait to hear both teams scores before knowing who's won - unless thats in the edit...
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I'm always amazed with the candidates that they aren't better prepared. I know if I was going on there and I would study previous shows and get some idea as to the tasks involved. They always seem to have a terrible grasp of the geography of London (how big it is, and where certain places are) and the rest of country. I would think of some ideas for basic products, I know you may never actually get the exact same product to design, but at least get an idea. They've had health tasks at least 3 or 4 times etc in the past for example.