Options

Best Apprentice Episode Ever

Comments

• Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    They were by far the 2 worst candidates by the time of the Germany task (their tantrum in the car is a classic in that episode :D).

Stuart wasn't actually that bad on the tasks themselves - he was only in the final boardroom on three occasions out of ten, and there were a lot of tasks he actually performed reasonably strongly on, especially Task 3. I would have been furious if he had won, because his attitude, demeanour and manner were appalling, but in terms of actual contribution, he was stronger than quite a few of the others.

Laura was by no means the strongest candidate there - people like Stella, Liz, Joanna, Jamie and even Stuart arguably were stronger than her - but I don't think it's always based on who is good on the tasks. I would have liked Laura to win because she was young and adaptable and would have taken a lot for Sugar. Plus, I felt that the basic skills were there. I know she clashed a lot with people because she was annoyed at the way things were going on the tasks, but some people react in that way and it is a very pressurised situation. I felt that a lot of the time she had the right ideas - if she had been listened to on the cleaning advert task for example, I am pretty confident that they would have won that task. I think if she had had a second opportunity to be PM, she may have stood more of a chance, and I am extremely confident that had she won, she wouldn't have ended up suing Sugar for constructive dismissal.
  • Options
    stripey_socksstripey_socks Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Best episodes for me are :-

Series 3 - Selling lumps of cheddar to the french.
    Series 2 - A chicken per pizza episode
    Series 1 - James & Siara on the selling task. The wolf jacket scene cracked me up. By coincidence i actually saw someone wearing the exact jacket a few hours later. I was sniggering to myself in the street.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Series 1 - James & Siara on the selling task. The wolf jacket scene cracked me up. By coincidence i actually saw someone wearing the exact jacket a few hours later. I was sniggering to myself in the street.

I think that's why the first series will always be my favourite. The candidates actually became friends during the series. There were tears in the boardroom when people got fired because they felt like they were losing friends. You got hilarious scenes where you got to laugh with the candidates, like Siara and James with the fleece.

It's just not been like that in any series since. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrgunde wrote: »
    I think that's why the first series will always be my favourite. The candidates actually became friends during the series. There were tears in the boardroom when people got fired because they felt like they were losing friends. You got hilarious scenes where you got to laugh with the candidates, like Siara and James with the fleece.

It's just not been like that in any series since. :(

There have been good friendships formed since then - maybe not so obviously as in Series 1, but there have been. In Series 8, Gabrielle formed a relationship with Nick (not sure if they're still together - hope so as they're lovely and deserve each other!) and became close friends with Jenna, who she worked with on every task until Jenna's firing. In the most recent series of Young Apprentice, the candidates had a 'Just Dance' competition in between the tasks - which was never seen onscreen, but was referenced in interviews with the candidates.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been good friendships formed since then - maybe not so obviously as in Series 1, but there have been. In Series 8, Gabrielle formed a relationship with Nick (not sure if they're still together - hope so as they're lovely and deserve each other!) and became close friends with Jenna, who she worked with on every task until Jenna's firing. In the most recent series of Young Apprentice, the candidates had a 'Just Dance' competition in between the tasks - which was never seen onscreen, but was referenced in interviews with the candidates.

Didn't Glenn and Zoe form a relationship too? (In fact, didn't Said get Michelle Dewberry pregnant?)

Apparently Jim, Tom and Susan stayed good friends too. I also understand from what the candidates have said that on the final Young Apprentice virtually everyone liked each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't Glenn and Zoe form a relationship too? (In fact, didn't Said get Michelle Dewberry pregnant?)

They did, but they have since split up. Syed did get Michelle pregnant, but she had a miscarriage and they split soon after. I believe that Kate and Philip are still together.

Gabrielle and Nick is the one that interests me most though, because they are both so lovely! Thinking about them makes me feel cosy inside. They were definitely the two most likeable candidates in Series 8 (on a personal level, nothing to do with the tasks.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    There have been good friendships formed since then - maybe not so obviously as in Series 1, but there have been.

But it's never apparent on the show, since the emphasis in every series but the first has been on conflict and disagreement. As a matter of fact, it seems that they go out of their way to conceal the friendships people form given how surprised people always seem that candidates A and B were actually friends when they see the footage of them arsing about together on You're Fired.

Sometimes we learn things in the boardroom, but even the "hanky panky" relationships were brought up as reasons to fire someone and close friendships between candidates were used to accuse people of "ganging up" on someone else. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's justified. But in the first series it seemed that all the candidates gelled together as a group except for the one who "resigned" by telling Sugar to go eff himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrgunde wrote: »
    But it's never apparent on the show, since the emphasis in every series but the first has been on conflict and disagreement. As a matter of fact, it seems that they go out of their way to conceal the friendships people form given how surprised people always seem that candidates A and B were actually friends when they see the footage of them arsing about together on You're Fired.

Sometimes we learn things in the boardroom, but even the "hanky panky" relationships were brought up as reasons to fire someone and close friendships between candidates were used to accuse people of "ganging up" on someone else. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's justified. But in the first series it seemed that all the candidates gelled together as a group except for the one who "resigned" by telling Sugar to go eff himself.

I think the focus should be on the tasks and not on the relationships of the candidates, regardless of whether they were good or bad.
  • Options
    TXF0429TXF0429 Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to Zoe (so take with a punch of salt! ;)) Glenn cheated on her and that's why they broke up.
    Apparently Jim, Tom and Susan stayed good friends too. I also understand from what the candidates have said that on the final Young Apprentice virtually everyone liked each other.

That's interesting as we certainly didn't get that impression on the show. Everyone bar Ashleigh and maybe Lucy seemed to dislike Andrew and David wasn't liked from what we saw. I'd say Maria was the same. It's nice to hear that Tom, Susan and Jim are friends as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TXF0429 wrote: »
    That's interesting as we certainly didn't get that impression on the show. Everyone bar Ashleigh and maybe Lucy seemed to dislike Andrew and David wasn't liked from what we saw. I'd say Maria was the same. It's nice to hear that Tom, Susan and Jim are friends as well.

I'm not sure about Andrew, but David and Navdeep apparently got on very well - they both complimented one another a lot in interviews. They never worked on the same team; I imagine it would be easier to get on with people who you're not on a team with, as you don't associate them with the stress of trying to complete a task.

I disagree with you about Maria as well - both of the times she was in the boardroom (Weeks 2 and 4) the other people in the house said that they really wanted her back. She was apparently really popular in the house.

In Week 3, when Amy, Steven and David were in the firing line, Ashleigh said, 'We all love Amy in the house, but to work with her she's an absolute pain', suggesting that Amy was another one who everyone liked personally even though she was difficult on the tasks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was only going with what I remember. It's the only series I haven't seen more than once so I was bound to forget a few things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I was only going with what I remember. It's the only series I haven't seen more than once so I was bound to forget a few things.

Go back and watch it a second time! It's all on YouTube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back and watch it a second time! It's all on YouTube.

It's ok, I've got every single episode on my laptop anyway! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's ok, I've got every single episode on my laptop anyway! :)

Even better! By the way, I have now watched the whole of Series 6... I caught up last week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even better! By the way, I have now watched the whole of Series 6... I caught up last week!

What do you think? I reckon Stella showed some personality in the last few weeks and deserved the win overall. The interview stage is incredibley emotional don't you think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What do you think? I reckon Stella showed some personality in the last few weeks and deserved the win overall. The interview stage is incredibley emotional don't you think?

I still don't think Stella should have won and I would feel that way regardless of how she performed in the last few weeks, as my opinion is based not on the tasks but on the fact that I believe that she was completely overqualified for the role. The last few episodes were really good though, definitely enjoyable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did, but they have since split up. Syed did get Michelle pregnant, but she had a miscarriage and they split soon after. I believe that Kate and Philip are still together.

Gabrielle and Nick is the one that interests me most though, because they are both so lovely! Thinking about them makes me feel cosy inside. They were definitely the two most likeable candidates in Series 8 (on a personal level, nothing to do with the tasks.)

Kate and Philip! How could I have forgotten them?

I believe Ben and Debra also remained friendly, both with each other and with Kate and Philip. I read an interview with Debra where she said Ben was a good mate (though she did also suggest he did his thinking from below the waistline).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure about Andrew, but David and Navdeep apparently got on very well - they both complimented one another a lot in interviews. They never worked on the same team; I imagine it would be easier to get on with people who you're not on a team with, as you don't associate them with the stress of trying to complete a task.

I disagree with you about Maria as well - both of the times she was in the boardroom (Weeks 2 and 4) the other people in the house said that they really wanted her back. She was apparently really popular in the house.

In Week 3, when Amy, Steven and David were in the firing line, Ashleigh said, 'We all love Amy in the house, but to work with her she's an absolute pain', suggesting that Amy was another one who everyone liked personally even though she was difficult on the tasks.

It's interesting that the public seemed to dislike Maria when her fellow contestants clearly liked her so much. David was apparently popular in the house - I read one of the contestants say he was always making tasty treats in the kitchen for the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's interesting that the public seemed to dislike Maria when her fellow contestants clearly liked her so much. David was apparently popular in the house - I read one of the contestants say he was always making tasty treats in the kitchen for the others.

Well, you can like people personally, but not as a teammate. When I was doing my A-level drama exam, there was someone in my group who I got on so well with and was a lovely guy to have around, but he was a real pain to have in a group - we're still friends, but I don't ever want to work with him again. There was someone else who was a very good person to have in a group, but isn't someone that I would ever want to spend my personal time with. David, Maria and Amy were difficult on the tasks, but they were obviously easy to get on with personally.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Marrakesh Marrakesh Marrakesh, LS on top form in the Boardroom, evil Jenny C being brutally fired on her Birthday, Kosher Chicken fiasco, feel LS wanted to tear a strip off the losing team over that but kept himself restrained due to the TV Cameras
  • Options
    eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marrakesh, I don't think I could ever get tired of that episode. Funny from start to finish, a classic episode from all who were in it.
  • Options
    muzungumuzungu Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Syed getting lost in series 2;

Anything with Tre and Katie in it in series 3.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me the best episodes -

Simon and the shopping task, LS reaction as he watched it!!

Pants man...need I say more?!

Marrakech with the kosher meat

The magazine task afew series ago, only because when they were discussing names for the OAP magazine and somebody said coffin dodgers and nick was there listening, his face!

Tre, once when he won a task and he was whooping and Margaret's face was a picture!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My overall favourite episode was the 'selling the best of british to the french' one in series 3 where Paul takes a load of cheap cheese over and tries to fry some sausages on 'some stupid contraption the boyscouts could have come up with' Following the disaster of the task we get a very entertaining boardroom and in my opinion possibly the MOST deserved firing ever
  • Options
    ugley_mattugley_matt Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Tre's bull at selling the paintings was superb.

But no-one mentioned the perfume task when they used the most expensive ingredient? Also featured Nicks greatest ever line

http://youtu.be/GrEa3zUO2V8

"Anyway, I'll leave it with you."