missed a train connection but got charged again?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
My cousin from America is on route from the North West down to see me in Bedfordshire- this involved getting a train from her local station to leeds, then a train from leeds to peterborough and then on to me. She got on the wrong train this morning, changed to the right train, but missed her connection so she got the next train to come along (not an intercity ) and the ticket inspector told her that when she arrives at the next station, she would have to pay for another ticket at a cost of £60, because she wasn't on the journey she paid for ! I thought that if you were doing a cross country journey by train and missed one, you just got on the next one and no charge for it ? Am I wrong? !

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Depends on the type of ticket she had. You can get ones that are for specifc trains only and other that are flexible ie for any journay on that route.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was a pre-booked ticket at an advanace rate with a reservation, she won't be able to use that ticket on another service. The ticket is bound to the train time on her ticket and can only be used on that service.

The only time they allow people to use a pre-booked ticket on another service is if the train was delayed by the provider and at no fault of the passenger.

I'd ring up the train ticket people and check with them to be sure.

If she had a typical "Open Single" or "Open Return" ticket with no times on the tickets then in theory she should be able to use that on any service within the time period specified by that type of ticket, ie, off peak etc. But I suspect based on your post that her ticket was pre-booked for a particular train at a particular time, in which case she may be stung for the other ticket.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if it's a pre-booked advance ticket then you have to get the specified train.

It happened to me once. Instead of connecting to the Brighton train at West Croydon, I connected at Clapham Junction. The ticket inspector told me 'not to do it again' but let me off (mainly because I was on the West Croydon train anyway - but got it from Clapham Junction)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    I do a lot of traveling & usually try to get the cheapest tickets I can. This usually means I have to stick to specific trains & times.

If I miss the connection to my 2nd train because my first train was delayed, then as far as I'm concerned the company has failed in it's contract & must get me to my destination at no extra cost.

However if I fail to get my first train & therefore miss my connection, it is not the company's responsibility & I would expect to pay to continue my journey.

The OP's question appears to be that her cousin failed to get the correct train & therefore should expect to pay for her journey again.