Whoops, facebook etiquette question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
Ok, so I might have done one of two things:

1) put my foot in it
2) been very naive

I don't have loads and loads friends on my facebook account and it's mostly trivial funny banter but on rare occasions I'll have a whinge about day to day stuff. Once in a blue moon.
My youngest daughter (age7) has had a few probs with a few girls at school and last week was accused of stealing another little girls necklace. It turns out that this necklace was not stolen, it was actually my daughters necklace. A 'friend' of hers has accused her and made up stories about her doing various other things to get her into trouble. She was in floods of tears and
I posted a mini rant along the lines of being annoyed at her being blamed falsely.. no names mentioned, no blame apportioned, no teachers or school slagged off, if anything I was more annoyed at myself for not going in to school re. the problems she's had with this girl in the past and it seems that other parents are in and out of the classroom daily to rant about problems and I often feel that we might be misrepresented if I don't catalogue each and every minor foible.
Anyway, the head teacher takes me aside this morning and says that 'a little bird has told her' that I'm not happy with some things in school. And I was completely taken aback. I had already spoken to the class teacher and was happy that it was all being handled properly and anyway, it was a mini rant on a private wall, (not so private eh?). My wall is private.. I've checked all the settings since facebook started messing about with them. I haven't told anyone at school about the problems and I asked the head if she'd heard through the class teacher- she said not- so one of my facebook friends must have told her, I can't think of any other explanation. (One of my facebook friends works in the school too.)
The head wanted to have a chat about it and I'm going in later, but am I wrong to think that I can have a whinge on facebook and it going no further? I wouldn't dream of slagging people off, slagging work off, etc. but a general whinge about school - is this OK? I've removed the thread, but am seriously considering just deleting my bloody account and be done with it. I must admit that I treat chats with facebook friends as private conversations. Is this naive of me ?

Comments

• butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meljduk wrote: »
    Ok, so I might have done one of two things:

1) put my foot in it
    2) been very naive

I don't have loads and loads friends on my facebook account and it's mostly trivial funny banter but on rare occasions I'll have a whinge about day to day stuff. Once in a blue moon.
    My youngest daughter (age7) has had a few probs with a few girls at school and last week was accused of stealing another little girls necklace. It turns out that this necklace was not stolen, it was actually my daughters necklace. A 'friend' of hers has accused her and made up stories about her doing various other things to get her into trouble. She was in floods of tears and
    I posted a mini rant along the lines of being annoyed at her being blamed falsely.. no names mentioned, no blame apportioned, no teachers or school slagged off, if anything I was more annoyed at myself for not going in to school re. the problems she's had with this girl in the past and it seems that other parents are in and out of the classroom daily to rant about problems and I often feel that we might be misrepresented if I don't catalogue each and every minor foible.
    Anyway, the head teacher takes me aside this morning and says that 'a little bird has told her' that I'm not happy with some things in school. And I was completely taken aback. I had already spoken to the class teacher and was happy that it was all being handled properly and anyway, it was a mini rant on a private wall, (not so private eh?). My wall is private.. I've checked all the settings since facebook started messing about with them. I haven't told anyone at school about the problems and I asked the head if she'd heard through the class teacher- she said not- so one of my facebook friends must have told her, I can't think of any other explanation. (One of my facebook friends works in the school too.)
    The head wanted to have a chat about it and I'm going in later, but am I wrong to think that I can have a whinge on facebook and it going no further? I wouldn't dream of slagging people off, slagging work off, etc. but a general whinge about school - is this OK? I've removed the thread, but am seriously considering just deleting my bloody account and be done with it. I must admit that I treat chats with facebook friends as private conversations. Is this naive of me ?

Was it a Wall Post or a Status update ?

Either way, it must have been in some way visible to your friends and, in some ways, the 'no names mentioned' posts can set the tongues wagging a lot more than usual.

Just one of those things, but generally don't publish anything that you wouldn't like people to hear about...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Was it a Wall Post or a Status update ?

Either way, it must have been in some way visible to your friends and, in some ways, the 'no names mentioned' posts can set the tongues wagging a lot more than usual.

Just one of those things, but generally don't publish anything that you wouldn't like people to hear about...

Yep, pretty good rule of thumb and one I shall keep in mind from now on. I can't believe I let my guard down.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Facebook has nothing to do with school. The Head Mistress should keep her communist conk out of matters that do not concern her.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    It's naive, my facebook is on the strongest privacy settings and it's fairly visible.
    Having said that, if the head called me in based on that I'd politely refuse. None of her business. And I work in a school!
    Forum Member
    sarahcs wrote: »
    It's naive, my facebook is on the strongest privacy settings and it's fairly visible.
    Having said that, if the head called me in based on that I'd politely refuse. None of her business. And I work in a school!

mine has the strongest privacy settlings too; not strong enough apparently!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Wow, sounds like theres a load of interfering, gossipy so and sos at your daughter's school, the head being the worst! Its very unprofessional of her to take the 'little bird told me' approach. Although, if it helps you to get stuff off your chest and clear up the situation it might be helpful.

You can post anything you like on FB, but be aware of who will read it and what the repercussions may be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lorelai wrote: »
    Wow, sounds like theres a load of interfering, gossipy so and sos at your daughter's school, the head being the worst! Its very unprofessional of her to take the 'little bird told me' approach. Although, if it helps you to get stuff off your chest and clear up the situation it might be helpful.

You can post anything you like on FB, but be aware of who will read it and what the repercussions may be.

How is it unprofessional of the head? She's probably referring to a 'little bird' so she doesn't 'drop someone in it' who was probably trying to help the OP anyway by making the head aware of the problem.

What would be unprofessional is if the head had heard about an issue in her school and decided to ignore it. Instead she's tried to help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lorelai wrote: »

I'd advise against over-reacting like this. It was probably someone just mentioned 'Oh, meljduk is really unhappy about what happened the other day' in conversation and went from there.

And, to be honest, the head has approached it in the best possible way...
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like your friend has dobbed you in!

I cant see why she has her knickers in a twist since you didnt name names or slag anyone off.

I'd be interested to hear what she said at the meeting.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell her to go f*** herself!
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    Looks like your friend has dobbed you in!

I cant see why she has her knickers in a twist since you didnt name names or slag anyone off.

I'd be interested to hear what she said at the meeting.

I'll let you know later. I have a lump in my throat like I'm 12 years old again waiting to get told off !
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be honest about why at the time you werent happy wtih the situation and how now you are feeling much better after speaking to the teacher...you were justified to rant about it...especially in a private status so stick up for your emotions on the subject.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, something sort of similar happened to my friend. She posted pictures though - of her son's first day at school - all very innocent you'd think. However, someone else complained to the school (!) because their child was in the background of the picture and she had ''no permission'' to publish photos of someone else's child (!) . So she got a reprimand from the Head and the whole school got letters sent home about it believe it or not and that was even though she had a 'locked down' Facebook account.

You gotta be careful, there's always someone out to nark on you...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would tell the head that if you feel there is a serious problem then you, as a responsible parent, would contact her immediately. However, you would be grateful if she would respect both your privacy and your right to talk about what you wish online and to friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CoCoKathy wrote: »
    I would tell the head that if you feel there is a serious problem then you, as a responsible parent, would contact her immediately. However, you would be grateful if she would respect both your privacy and your right to talk about what you wish online and to friends.

I really wouldn't advise getting snotty with the head who has a) done nothing wrong and b) is there to help you...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i found out the hard way........FaceBook is a dangerous thing !!