Options

Feel so sad :(

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
Forum Member
Our particular road is quite nice - cul de sac and quiet, but to the back of us there isn't a particularly nice estate. Have heard rumours of animal cruelty but then on Tuesday night we had a police warning/notice through the door,saying that there have been a spate of air gun / catapult attacks on cats recently and to keep a look out. Straight away I was really upset & worrying (we have two cats ourselves).

Anyway, got home from work today and got chatting to a neighbour from across the road. One of her female cats was kicked severely in the head Tuesday night. Broken jaw in 4 places and she is now blind. Doesnt know if she will pull through, still at the vets now :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Just feel totally devasted. Her cat was lovely and beautiful. I am now scared stiff for my cats.I love our cats so much and would be distraught if anything happened. I am so upset by it, I have even called 2 estate agents who are coming to value our house on Monday and we are hoping to sell. We half wanted to move anyway, but there is no way I want to live around here with people going round abusing animals.

I just feel so sick inside and cant stop thinking about it.

I dont really know why I started this thread, just needed to "talk" about it :(

Comments

• Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How awful. I hope your neighbour's cat pulls through :cry: and you have some luck with the Estate Agents. I'm glad that the police are aware of what is going on, but hope they are doing some proactive with the abusers and just not leaving it to the public. These 'people' need to be found, and appropriately punished. We need to send out a firm message that animal cruelty won't be tolerated in this country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's so "sad". I "feel for" your neighbours (& yourself considering).

I wouldn't sell up because of this, if you are doing it for that reason, that is.

I'd get CCTV hooked up everywhere & mics too, pictorially & audio record whatever you can to send them down. Something like an aluminium baseball bat waving in the air may help too. If they see it it'll force them to make one move or another - usually backwards, at a guess. :D

Anyway hope it goes well, whatever happens. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see where you are coming from, cloudy_nines. It's an awful situation.

If I was in your shoes, I'd move too ... for the sake of all members of your household, their overall happiness and health.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know if its the media that pick up on it more or if there are becoming more and more incidences of animal cruelty to pets these days especially to cats who roam .

I am so glad my two are indoor cats ( plenty of room and more toys than the average kid and city centre so not really a suitable area for outdoor cats ) I couldnt bare the thought of anyone harming them, and it makes me so sad and bloody furious when I hear of people who attack animals for fun , anyone who can attack an animal or human who is not ablle to defend themselves is in need of a short sharp spell behind bars to my mind.
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG that is awful OP. How can anybody be so cruel?

I don't blame you for considering a move. Some people might say "they're not going to drive me away" but for your peace of mind it will be worth it if you do.

I remember moving once because of bad neighbours after sticking it out for a long time, and the relief I felt driving away that day was worth all the upheaval, it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders and I never looked back.

Meanwhile, personally I'd keep the cats indoors until you know the people concerned have been caught and punished. I hope your neighbour's cat recovers soon too, poor thing.

:cry:
  • Options
    ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you know the cat was kicked ,it could have been hit by a car
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Thanks for everyone's replies. We were considering moving anyway, this has just spurred us on.My only concern is getting a decent price for the house seeing as we took a 100% mortgage at the peak of the market. Got 2 estate agents coming tomorrow and 2 Tues so I will see how it goes.

The cat was definitely kicked. My neighbour followed the trail of blood to an alleyway behind her house. I spoke with her tonight, the cat is still alive, but if she doesnt start eating in the next few days she may have to be put to sleep. :cry:

The police are aware of all the cruelty and it seems they are looking into it,but who knows if these sickos will ever get caught, let alone locked up. I have since heard of other terrible tales that just make me feel sick. One of my cats is an indoor cat, the other goes out but we only let him out when we are out home and now only on an empty stomach so he doesnt go far. We keep them both in at night & whilst we work (we always have done) and will continue to do so.They are going in a cattery on Wednesday night for 10 days while we go on hols, for the first time in my life I am glad they are going !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our particular road is quite nice - cul de sac and quiet, but to the back of us there isn't a particularly nice estate. Have heard rumours of animal cruelty but then on Tuesday night we had a police warning/notice through the door,saying that there have been a spate of air gun / catapult attacks on cats recently and to keep a look out. Straight away I was really upset & worrying (we have two cats ourselves).

Anyway, got home from work today and got chatting to a neighbour from across the road. One of her female cats was kicked severely in the head Tuesday night. Broken jaw in 4 places and she is now blind. Doesnt know if she will pull through, still at the vets now :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Just feel totally devasted. Her cat was lovely and beautiful. I am now scared stiff for my cats.I love our cats so much and would be distraught if anything happened. I am so upset by it, I have even called 2 estate agents who are coming to value our house on Monday and we are hoping to sell. We half wanted to move anyway, but there is no way I want to live around here with people going round abusing animals.

I just feel so sick inside and cant stop thinking about it.

I dont really know why I started this thread, just needed to "talk" about it :(

I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbour's cat. We treated two cats who had been attacked in a similar way. One we weren't able to save, the brain damage was just too severe and he'd lost control of his limbs, and the other was left blind.
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I dont know if its the media that pick up on it more or if there are becoming more and more incidences of animal cruelty to pets these days especially to cats who roam.

There are more and more incidences unfortunately.

We're seeing more cases than before of animals, particularly but not only cats, with injuries that aren't consistent with being hit by cars or any similar accident.