Options

Why do men wake up with hard on?

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think their must be a reason, also like shy pee syndrome, that's when a man can't pee if another man is around.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Because it has been 6-8 hours since we last did it. Lol
    We are like cows - Need regular milking.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The Australians call it a "piss horn".
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because testosterone peaks in the early morning!
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All males, regardless of age, get erections several times during the night during REM sleep. If you are in REM (or have just been in REM) you will have an erection, if not you won't.

In the beginning you cycle through the stages fairly rapidly every 90 minutes or so, but as your body rests you spend less time in the more restful stages of sleep and more time in REM sleep. This means that after 7 or 8 hours of sleeping, a large part of your time is in REM sleep and thus the odds are that you would have been in REM sleep just before waking. Thus you are more likely to wake up with an erection than not.

Nocturnal erections differ from day time erections, or being hard from sexual arousal. Since the body has less physical stimulation at night then during the day, the bodies natural healing mechanisms kick in, which allow internal organs to receive increased blood flow. During the day most men are able to control this raised surge of blood to the penis, however at night, your controls are turned off, thus giving you several involuntary erections during sleep.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere that it stops us wetting the bed during the night.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    It helps stop us rolling out of bed.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    My bloke calls it "piss-proud".
  • Options
    LH1LH1 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they can.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    It helps stop us rolling out of bed.

And if we do, we can use it as a pogo stick to get us back in.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saves time.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    All males, regardless of age, get erections several times during the night during REM sleep. If you are in REM (or have just been in REM) you will have an erection, if not you won't.

Michael Stipe must wake up with a stonker on then :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I wonder what it means when you go to bed with one to start with and wake up flaccid?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not any more, obviously. He's now classed as an inactive member, like so many former members of DS.
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It gives us leverage to roll over in bed and turn the alarm off, thus helping us to get to work on time to bring in the income that keeps us going in life. Well, that's the evolutionary theory.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »

In the beginning you cycle through the stages fairly rapidly every 90 minutes or so, but as your body rests you spend less time in the more restful stages of sleep and more time in REM sleep. This means that after 7 or 8 hours of sleeping, a large part of your time is in REM sleep and thus the odds are that you would have been in REM sleep just before waking. Thus you are more likely to wake up with an erection than not.

Nocturnal erections differ from day time erections, or being hard from sexual arousal. Since the body has less physical stimulation at night then during the day, the bodies natural healing mechanisms kick in, which allow internal organs to receive increased blood flow. During the day most men are able to control this raised surge of blood to the penis, however at night, your controls are turned off, thus giving you several involuntary erections during sleep.

Were you wearing a white lab coat and holding a clipboard when you posted this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Probably related to full bladder applying pressure on your prostate, if you put pressure on the prostate gland you can increase sexual arousal.

Well that is part of it : http://www.myhealthportal.co.uk/articles/248,_92.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Were you wearing a white lab coat and holding a clipboard when you posted this?

If female, and wearing just stockings and suspenders under the lab coat, there's the mystery explained:D
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any diabetic will tell you that blood sugar levels are double what they should be in the morning to give you kick up the arse.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, often. It's bugger waiting for it to go down too when you're desperate for a wee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So i can play ring toss before i get up
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Yes, often. It's bugger waiting for it to go down too when you're desperate for a wee.

If you're short on time, try a handstand.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always wanted a wee in the morning, , since being a wee boy..
    I am lucky nowadays to get 7-8 hours sleep
    but i still have a erection, must be the former reason.
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I can't remember when I last had one so I don't agree that all men wake with one.:(
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a point, there has been some scientific research done, and found that men who do not have a erection during the night. Have impotence, this can be caused by hardened artery's HEART DISEASE, Diabetes, and other causes.