Options

Scenes from family films that unsettled you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,937
    Forum Member
    The Large Marge scene from Pee Wee's Big Adventure (rated U):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzolCu-QLw0
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the end of The Empire Strikes Back , always amazed me that this was rated U .
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,323
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Watership Down - the black hare in slow motion.

Who am I kidding? The whole film was disturbing. The old scarred hare. The road. No way in hell it's a children's film.

Not quite the same thing, but this affected me more:

Horses tripping over wires on battlefields in period war films (like Zulu Dawn), western films and other family/Sunday-afternoon films. To this day, I can't stand seeing horses on a battlefield in any film.

Yes was going to say
    The Wizard Of Oz. "I'm melting" but was young, she was scary and got what was coming. Happy ending.
    Watership Down? I was driving the other day and listening to 'Smooth Radio' and 'Bright Eye's' came on. The film scenes flashed in front, made me sad and weepy:(
  • Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it must be remembered that just because it's animation, that doesn't make it a children's or family film.

I don't consider "Watership" down or "When the wind blows" to be anything other than adult films.

Well, while I agree with you with regards to "When the Wind Blows" (although wasn't that a PG?), with regards to Watership Down...
    Takae wrote: »
    Nothing to do with it being animated (I'm always aware of animation as a different medium). It was certified 'U' - as in, "a U film should be suitable for audiences aged four years and over" - and my uncle bought it from a children's toy shop with a VHS retail section. Hence, my comment.

^ I agree with Takae. Watership Down was (still is to this day) a 'U' certificate, and is based on a children's book that's about bunny rabbits. No wonder the BBFC has received complaints about it practically every year since it was released (according to the WD Wiki page anyway).
    mistygal wrote: »
    Watership Down? I was driving the other day and listening to 'Smooth Radio' and 'Bright Eye's' came on. The film scenes flashed in front, made me sad and weepy:(

Awww :( a good friend has told me he wants 'Bright Eyes' at his funeral, and a few family members have had 'Bright Eyes' at theirs too. With all that in mind, I tend to avoid stations that would play that.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    katiso41 wrote: »
    The Banshee was the scariest thing I ever saw at the cinema as a child, closely followed by Talos, the huge bronze man in Jason and the Argonauts

The children of the Hydra's teeth are scary too.

Excellent effects in that film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Agree with Watership Down.

I can't watch Alice in Wonderland - any version of it. It freaks me right out.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scene where Bambi's mother gets killed.
    The child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
    The scene where Scar kills Mufasa in The Lion King.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Bits of Dumbo and Winnie the Pooh, too, I remember finding freaky as an older kid and wouldn't try watching them now.
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talos in Jason & the Argonauts. When I was like 3/4ish I remember being so terrified I ran out of the room. My mum made the smart move of forcing me to return for the scene where it is destroyed.

Frollo in the Hunchback of Notre Dame - can't say I can think of any other Disney movies that begin with the attempted drowning of an infant.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,332
    Forum Member
    Always thought some of E.T. had a suprising edge to it. A seriously ill E.T. lying by the river and the subsequent takeover by the authorities are all vividly etched. And then we think he's carked it of course.

Note: when E.T. first arrives at the house he's treated in a mysterious, ambiguous manner. Later when the authorities arrive it's them that seem intrusive and alien (wonderfully tipped off by the surreal sight of an astronaut at the front door). Spielberg at the height of his powers here.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vol wrote: »
    Talos in Jason & the Argonauts. When I was like 3/4ish I remember being so terrified I ran out of the room. My mum made the smart move of forcing me to return for the scene where it is destroyed.

Oh, yes. That did make my heart race. Same with the scene where a handful of teeth became skeleton fighters in Clash of the Titans.

The skeleton fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bambi's mum being killed (I cried for days - still cry if I watch it now)
    "I'm melting" and the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz.
    Something about the whole of the film Fantasia freaked me out too, but I can't remember what set it off (could have been the marching broomsticks).
    And odd bits of most Disney animations.

And all of these are 'classic children's' films' which my parents thought I must watch....
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,234
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm a huge horror fan and have a huge threshold but I find it so hard to watch.

Sure is!! from the cage in the river, the men on wheels, the headless woman. Crazy!
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,498
    Forum Member
    'Old Yeller' - where the young boy is trying to get in to see his rabies-infected pet dog.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This scene from the film "The Adventures of Mark Twain."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes

Very freaky sequence for a kids film.
  • Options
    Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger it was the first Mummy film and the Scarabs, gave me nightmares for days! :o

Then, as an adult, a few years ago I randomly switched on to the Bridge to Terabithia and became engrossed... I think it was showing on the CBBC channel actually... Maybe it was because of the channel, and so not at all expected, but the twist at the end was truly shocking and very unsettling.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    The witches in general. The creatures are horrible , i re-watched it about 2 years ago just to relive my childhood and it was horrible. I was 20 as well , i have watched some horrible violent & scary horror films & the monsters in that aren't as scary. And they are for 18 plus not kids , being 1990 i guess it was different then , would that film still be made now? probably not.

More so as a kid than during the rewatch was the start of it with the kid trapped in the painting , that stayed with me all my life , when i originality watched it at probably 8 years old or so whenever i saw little girls on paintings i was creeped out. still am really. The thought of growing up trapped in a painting is disturbing.

I notice most films people have mentioned aren't modern but were made in a time different. I doubt most would be made now.
  • Options
    India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The spade scene in Ring of Brightwater, traumatised me (still does). :(