BBC Glastonbury - Gemma Cairney

number6number6 Posts: 1,131
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Due to my listening/viewing choices, I have not seen Gemma Cairney before.

Am I the only person to be very disappointed with the BBC's choice for a national BBC station?

Comments

• J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's truly awful. Radio 1 have a number of talented presenters that should all be in the pecking order above her. But she apparently draws in the 'yoofs init ;)'
  • number6number6 Posts: 1,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    She's truly awful. Radio 1 have a number of talented presenters that should all be in the pecking order above her. But she apparently draws in the 'yoofs init ;)'

It seems that there is a list of criteria that BBC try to tick the box for when selecting candidates, which include covering different religions, faiths, ethnicity, sexuality, disability, impediment, height, weight, etc., etc.
    As long as at least two of these boxes are ticked, ability to do the job to previously accepted BBC standard, comes a poor last.
    Oh, and I didn't mention age, because the BBC are not particularly good at ticking that box.

Have a grumpy day :);-)
  • GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some of the Radio 1 Stories documentaries and BBC3 shows she's done have been almost journalistic - she's obviously quite bright and has ideas, but I just don't see that skill or banter with the listeners that many other DJs have.
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shes so on trend! Bang on it. The generations evolve people.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    number6 wrote: »
    It seems that there is a list of criteria that BBC try to tick the box for when selecting candidates, which include covering different religions, faiths, ethnicity, sexuality, disability, impediment, height, weight, etc., etc.
    As long as at least two of these boxes are ticked, ability to do the job to previously accepted BBC standard, comes a poor last.
    Oh, and I didn't mention age, because the BBC are not particularly good at ticking that box.

Have a grumpy day :);-)

I think it is a shame when people have to claim broadcasters they don't like have only got the job because they tick boxes. Why not just accept you don't like the broadcaster rather than claiming it's a diversity thing?

Anyway back on topic I have liked Gemma ever since she did a Big Brother radio show with Iain Lee on Channel 4 Radio. She may not be the slickest of the presenters and sometimes a bit foolish (I had to admit I cringed a bit at the dancing segment on BBC 2 last night) but I find that quite endearing and find something very likeable about her.

I would imagine a lot of listeners would relate to her as well. I think females particularly would – similar to how women of my age (I’m 35) related to Zoe and Sara back in the day – but I imagine they are plenty of men who have a partner, friend or relative like her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I think it is a shame when people have to claim broadcasters they don't like have only got the job because they tick boxes. Why not just accept you don't like the broadcaster rather than claiming it's a diversity thing?

Anyway back on topic I have liked Gemma ever since she did a Big Brother radio show with Iain Lee on Channel 4 Radio. She may not be the slickest of the presenters and sometimes a bit foolish (I had to admit I cringed a bit at the dancing segment on BBC 2 last night) but I find that quite endearing and find something very likeable about her.

I would imagine a lot of listeners would relate to her as well. I think females particularly would – similar to how women of my age (I’m 35) related to Zoe and Sara back in the day – but I imagine they are plenty of men who have a partner, friend or relative like her.
    You are right. It's a matter of opinion and she is not of my generation but my daughters, aged 34 and 26 thinks that she is an embarrassment. and NOT representative of the majority of their peer group.
    Your comment, "She may not be the slickest of the presenters and sometimes a bit foolish", speaks volumes. Given the many thousands of young people who are struggling to find a job, many of whom could be slick and would not embarrass, I still believe that it does bring the selection process into question.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are right. It's a matter of opinion and she is not of my generation but my daughters, aged 34 and 26 thinks that she is an embarrassment. and NOT representative of the majority of their peer group. <snip>

And I'm sure other people of their age group may think different. I mentioned Zoe and Sara which is also more of your 34 year old daughter's generation of Radio 1 as well. They split opinion among my peer group - people either really liked them or turned the radio off the minute they came on. I think Gemma falls into that category.

I'm sure there are plenty of Radio 1 presenters from over the years who fall into that category as well - someone I studied with who was older than me had strong opinions about Mike Read for example.
    Your comment, "She may not be the slickest of the presenters and sometimes a bit foolish", speaks volumes. Given the many thousands of young people who are struggling to find a job, many of whom could be slick and would not embarrass, I still believe that it does bring the selection process into question.

I'm struggling to see the relevance here - are the "many thousands of young people who are struggling to find a job" looking for a job at Radio 1 though?

Have you got an idea of a broadcaster of a similar generation you think would be better suited to Gemma's position?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    And I'm sure other people of their age group may think different. I mentioned Zoe and Sara which is also more of your 34 year old daughter's generation of Radio 1 as well. They split opinion among my peer group - people either really liked them or turned the radio off the minute they came on. I think Gemma falls into that category.

I'm sure there are plenty of Radio 1 presenters from over the years who fall into that category as well - someone I studied with who was older than me had strong opinions about Mike Read for example.

I'm struggling to see the relevance here - are the "many thousands of young people who are struggling to find a job" looking for a job at Radio 1 though?

Have you got an idea of a broadcaster of a similar generation you think would be better suited to Gemma's position?

We obviously have different views, dpb, so let's agree to differ and let others form their own opinions.:)
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member
    You are right. It's a matter of opinion and she is not of my generation but my daughters, aged 34 and 26 thinks that she is an embarrassment. and NOT representative of the majority of their peer group.

Radio 1 is aimed at 16-24 and desperately trying to get rid of over 25s so the fact your daughters don't like her is intended they should be more interested in presenters catering for an older audience. I'm sure she is popular with the target age range who are up at 4am weekday mornings to enjoy her show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Radio 1 is aimed at 16-24 and desperately trying to get rid of over 25s so the fact your daughters don't like her is intended they should be more interested in presenters catering for an older audience. I'm sure she is popular with the target age range who are up at 4am weekday mornings to enjoy her show.

"I'm sure she is popular with the target age range who are up at 4am weekday mornings to enjoy her show"
    I assume that the last line was meant to be funny ;-);-)
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's nearly 30 so soon to be off BBCR1s target audience too! Get rid, just like Scott mills, fern etc. all far too old for its target audience.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She is bad, really bad. I can't stand it when she opens her mouth and lets it all out. Her accent and the way she speaks puts me off, listening to her is very hard work! I'm sure she's a lovely person but she is awful, i couldn't agree more.

I saw a segment yesterday on BBC2's Glastonbury coverage and she was with an El Mariachi band - oh my god. Embarassingly cringeworthy! It was like wtf are you doing?! Stop embarassing yourself and get a grip! You are NOT cool.
  • BollardBollard Posts: 3,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Glastonbury is hardly a yoofs festival init!? Most of the people I know that go are the wrong side of forty and the line up is more Radio 2 than anything, with some not so cutting edge contemporary acts.
    Forum Member
    "I'm sure she is popular with the target age range who are up at 4am weekday mornings to enjoy her show"
    I assume that the last line was meant to be funny ;-);-)

So if not under 25s, who is Radio 1's Early Breakfast show aimed at?
  • RelicsOfSevenRelicsOfSeven Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I believe Gemma Cairney started out on Radio1xtra hosting their breakfast show or early morning??? So it is hardly a surprise if young people like her that she has now ended up presenting on Radio1 itself - good for her I'd say.
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    She's nearly 30 so soon to be off BBCR1s target audience too! Get rid, just like Scott mills, fern etc. all far too old for its target audience.

Hang on, your post from 00.10 today says she's "bang on trend"

Now you say this!

You are clearly, as many others have stated in the past, A WIND UP MERCHANT!!!

This just makes you look foolish, and no one will take you seriously!
  • WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    Hang on, your post from 00.10 today says she's "bang on trend"

Now you say this!

You are clearly, as many others have stated in the past, A WIND UP MERCHANT!!!

This just makes you look foolish, and no one will take you seriously!
    I think the earlier post by Hitmusic was in fact tongue-in-cheek. I certainly thought I'd detected more than a little sarcasm! ;-)
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Due to my listening/viewing choices, I have not seen Gemma Cairney before.

Am I the only person to be very disappointed with the BBC's choice for a national BBC station?

no >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    So if not under 25s, who is Radio 1's Early Breakfast show aimed at?

My point was that not many of the 16-24 age group are likely to be up at 4am. Doh!
    Forum Member
    My point was that not many of the 16-24 age group are likely to be up at 4am. Doh!

Some must be otherwise who listens to Radio 1 at this time? Or should it just simulcast Radio 2 if all the youngsters are asleep?
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a dreadful presenter