Demon's Soul

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anybody have this game? It's just won Gamespot's game of the year, and is building up quite a cult status for itself, but it's not available in the UK yet. This means buying it from the US is expensive (especially for the collector's edition), but it just looks really good. I wanted other people's opinions before I splash the cash.

Comments

• MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also tempted, however it is apparently hard as nails which has rather put me off. I would be interested in any opinions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the Asian version (it's in English) off of fleabay at Christmas, was about £36 delivered.
    It's ROCK HARD. Not finished the first level yet.
    I think in Games magazine they said it took them eight hours to do the first level.
    The major problem is that if you die you go all the way back to the start of the level (as far as I can tell).
    Cracking game though, plays well and has great graphics.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    To be pedantic - Demon's Souls, as in the Demon has a big bag of souls :D

People who love this game really love it but I see Gamespot trying to get some hardcore cred - I would be amazed if more than a couple of them had even played it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that if you die, they make it so more enemies will appear more often and your health is cut in half. Sounds hardcore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The half health is only after the first boss, about 10 seconds in :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Picked it up back in November, got an import from eBay.

It's more hardcore than a German scat video.

I've played some vicious and unforgiving games in the '80s on old computers like my Spectrum, and this is like a tramp trying to get a date with Paris Hilton.

It literally is you against the world. You die. A lot. When you play the game in soul form, you have far less health. When you die, you risk losing all the souls you collected (the currency of the game), which really resets you.

And the boss encounters...they can take over 30 minutes!

I enjoy it in small doses, but I will admit that I did use the soul explot cheat to give myself a slight boost...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy it in small doses, but I will admit that I did use the soul explot cheat to give myself a slight boost...

Oooh gimme gimme
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm considering buying this game and want to know if the difficulty ruins the enjoyment of it. I grew up playing games in the 80s so I know all about playing tough games, but I wondered HOW tough Demon's Souls really is.

I'd also like to know if it has any replay value at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is VERY tough. If you want it, get it now though, as the server support really helps you progress through the game and they've not guaranteed support for it past April I think. Every one who plays it can leave notes/messages for other players, it really helps you.

With regards to replay value - you won't worry about playing it again I don't think. There's about as much replay value as other RPG's though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I've heard good things about this game, it has some cool online features such as - when you die you can go into someone elses game and if you manage to kill them you get your own life back along with all your soul's, also you can leave messages for other players telling them about dangers ahead or secret passages.

As far as difficulty goes, I'm playing through metroid prime again after buying the new trilogy on wii which, as most of you will know is very hard so I'm not too worried about that.

I'll definitely give this a go.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LiMuBai wrote: »
    It is VERY tough. If you want it, get it now though, as the server support really helps you progress through the game and they've not guaranteed support for it past April I think. Every one who plays it can leave notes/messages for other players, it really helps you.

If i import the game do i still get those on-line features? This is definitely on my list along with the God of war collection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be buying a PS3 for this game.

I

Can't

Wait
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Jon79 wrote: »
    If i import the game do i still get those on-line features? This is definitely on my list along with the God of war collection.

Yeah.. you are best buying the USA version, this is using seperate servers to the asian versions and I imagine they will be supporting it for years to come.

Its a great game.. when you complete all the levels, you get to start the game again, known as NG+, you stay at your current soul level with all your gained equipment but the enemies are harder. This also gives you chance to do different events depending on world tendancy etc.. also allows you to gain more equipment by swapping demon souls for other stuff.

Then after you complete that you get to do it all again on NG++, NG+++, NG++++ etc etc etc. So to answer the question about longevity, it lasts as long as you want to play it.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beck_ wrote: »
    Yeah.. you are best buying the USA version, this is using seperate servers to the asian versions and I imagine they will be supporting it for years to come.

Its a great game.. when you complete all the levels, you get to start the game again, known as NG+, you stay at your current soul level with all your gained equipment but the enemies are harder. This also gives you chance to do different events depending on world tendancy etc.. also allows you to gain more equipment by swapping demon souls for other stuff.

Then after you complete that you get to do it all again on NG++, NG+++, NG++++ etc etc etc. So to answer the question about longevity, it lasts as long as you want to play it.

Just as well i bought the US version then because the asian version was 8 quid cheaper on ebay. *pats self on the back
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just purchased this off PSN for £3.99 heard great things and that it is really hard!