Options

Wild Card Housemates

SimplyBBUKSimplyBBUK Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
BIG Brother fans will get the chance to pick a wild card housemate this year.

TV bosses have decided to give viewers a say in who to throw into the house and cause mayhem.

A source said: “For years, fans have said that they want to choose housemates for the show and now they’ve got their chance.

“The lucky few will be brought out and do a Vote For Me piece to camera to explain why they should be chosen. Then it’s down to the public.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/250391/Big-Brother-We-ll-go-wild-/

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BB2 did this with Josh.
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Now this is actually for once a good idea from Channel 5, although I fear that with the public's preferences that we'll end up with someone nice, but rather uninteresting.

I actually thought about an idea similar to this a few years ago based on the America's Player twist from BBUS. On launch night the contestant chosen by the public is called to the diary room, and told that because he was selected by the British public as 'their housemate' he must follow the instructions that the public set for him.

Over the course of the series the British public via social networking are given the oppertunity to vote on a series of activities which Britain's Player must undertake, this can be things such as who he chooses to start a fight with in the house, who he attempts to flirt with and most importantly who he has to nominate for that week's eviction.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good idea IMO. Happened during BB2 where people chose Josh.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another weak gimmick that will fall flat on its arse no doubt.
    Will they give the wild card £100,000 too ?
  • Options
    ScottHarrisScottHarris Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of C5's first good idea's for the show.
  • Options
    Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow great idea Channel 5 imagine if Channel 4 thought of that twist.........hang on a second, oh yeah they did way back in 2001 with Josh.

Why can't Channel 5 come up with NEW things instead of recycling old ideas :(
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sirocco758 wrote: »

Why can't Channel 5 come up with NEW things instead of recycling old ideas :(

Because the format is stale. :o
    We live in hope of something new but all know in our heart of hearts it won't happen. :(
  • Options
    Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the format is stale. :o
    We live in hope of something new but all know in our heart of hearts it won't happen. :(

Aye my days of wishing Big Brother could emulate the success of TXF or BGT are over, tbh I wish Channel 5 had left well alone and Channel 4 brought it back in say 2015. At least then we would have had a great show then not like the zombie version we have right now.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of what they did in 2010, when they chose Mario (the mole) 'at random' by choosing his name from a tombola (notwithstanding the fact that we never got to see any other names from the tombola, and Mario was in fact an actor who had previously filmed a BB spoof on The Sunday Night Project alongside members of the BB production team. Hmmm... :rolleyes:)

It makes very little difference if the public does get to choose, given that we don't get to interview them multiple times as the production team do, we have no idea what the plans are for this year and how a HM might fit in with those plans, and putting things to a public vote will tend to favour the most mediocre contender as votes for the opposite extremes tend to cancel out. They may as well just roll a dice! Or better yet, take responsibility, do their jobs properly and pick a potentially good HM. :cool:
  • Options
    Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of what they did in 2010, when they chose Mario (the mole) 'at random' by choosing his name from a tombola (notwithstanding the fact that we never got to see any other names from the tombola, and Mario was in fact an actor who had previously filmed a BB spoof on The Sunday Night Project alongside members of the BB production team. Hmmm... :rolleyes:)

It makes very little difference if the public does get to choose, given that we don't get to interview them multiple times as the production team do, we have no idea what the plans are for this year and how a HM might fit in with those plans, and putting things to a public vote will tend to favour the most mediocre contender as votes for the opposite extremes tend to cancel out. They may as well just roll a dice! Or better yet, take responsibility, do their jobs properly and pick a potentially good HM. :cool:
    Similar to the Golden ticket scenario when Susie was 'chosen'. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    happybbfanhappybbfan Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    I remember choosing from 3 hopefuls in BB2 and it was obvious who was going to go in
    don't go thinking you are really getting a choice here,
    you are merely voting for who the producers would have put in later on anyway.
    nothing really new or inventive in this
  • Options
    HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    SimplyBBUK wrote: »
    BIG Brother fans will get the chance to pick a wild card housemate this year.

TV bosses have decided to give viewers a say in who to throw into the house and cause mayhem.

A source said: “For years, fans have said that they want to choose housemates for the show and now they’ve got their chance.

“The lucky few will be brought out and do a Vote For Me piece to camera to explain why they should be chosen. Then it’s down to the public.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/250391/Big-Brother-We-ll-go-wild-/
    If they go in the house too late after the start and they are on their own they will be picked on and be first nominated probably.
    Late entries are not usually a good idea, pointless, and also BB will probably be controlling what they do, which might make it staged.
  • Options
    SimplyBBUKSimplyBBUK Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "@mrjamieeast: Guess what's on this DVD... #bbuk http://pic.twitter.com/IolYURrB"

JWC-2 = Wild Cards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Is Jamie casting the show now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Good idea IMO. Happened during BB2 where people chose Josh.

Who wasn't especially good anyway. But credit to Ch 4 back in those days, they did go to a lot of trouble to make sure he didn't bring in any outside news that could damage the series: they kept him out of the UK and supervised until he went into the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who wasn't especially good anyway. But credit to Ch 4 back in those days, they did go to a lot of trouble to make sure he didn't bring in any outside news that could damage the series: they kept him out of the UK and supervised until he went into the house.

If he hadn't gone in, surely the Brian/Josh row wouldn't have happened during Dowling's birthday, which lead to the massive Amma/Stuart row. Which was one of the best night LF to watch ever. And my first argument I remember watching on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Josh wasn't the most boring HM from that year (he'd have had to have been a cadaver to top Elizabeth in that regard), but he was still a pretty meh choice - not that the GBP had much of a choice to make their pick from. A middle-aged woman and someone I have no recollection of.

If they do the same thing this year, big whoop. If their candidates are that bloody fantastic why wouldn't they cast them in the first place?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qwertyell wrote: »
    Josh wasn't the most boring HM from that year (he'd have had to have been a cadaver to top Elizabeth in that regard), but he was still a pretty meh choice - not that the GBP had much of a choice to make their pick from. A middle-aged woman and someone I have no recollection of.

If they do the same thing this year, big whoop. If their candidates are that bloody fantastic why wouldn't they cast them in the first place?

I think they know the hardcore fans are pissed at them for recent things, especially the LF, so they want to bring the older fans back to BB2 and give them the chance to choose who goes in. Fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't see how that would appease "hardcore" fans in the slightest. It's not as if - like LF for example - it's a fundamental part of the show and has been from the beginning.

It's a decade old gimmick, dredged up from the obscurity and repackaged as something new and sparkly.

Or it is if the story is true or in any way accurate. Which is probably isn't.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    SimplyBBUK wrote: »
    "@mrjamieeast: Guess what's on this DVD... #bbuk http://pic.twitter.com/IolYURrB"

JWC-2 = Wild Cards

SIMPLY BIG BROTHER ‏ @Simply_BBUK

Big Brother fans will get the chance to pick a wild card housemate this year. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/vie...e-ll-go-wild-/ #WildCards #BBUK

Jamie East ‏ @mrjamieeast

@Simply_BBUK ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see how that would appease "hardcore" fans in the slightest. It's not as if - like LF for example - it's a fundamental part of the show and has been from the beginning.

It's a decade old gimmick, dredged up from the obscurity and repackaged as something new and sparkly.

Or it is if the story is true or in any way accurate. Which is probably isn't.

Well it won't be the thing stated "the thing we have never done before", so I'm still looking forward to see what that will be.
  • Options
    K139K139 Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll just be an attempt to increase voting revenue,getting viewers to pay to get a housemate in and then keep on paying to keep them in.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Well it won't be the thing stated "the thing we have never done before", so I'm still looking forward to see what that will be.

It probably is that thing, Jamie replied to a tweet about the wild card thing with a wink and he posted a picture last month of a case with some of the thing he's doing on it and it's initials were JWC which he said doesn't stand for Jamie With Contestants.
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Jamie casting the show now?

I doubt it. They probably all have a copy of the DVD.
    ie. BWC, EWC
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they know the hardcore fans are pissed at them for recent things, especially the LF, so they want to bring the older fans back to BB2 and give them the chance to choose who goes in. Fair.

Only fair if the wildcards all get a fair edit

I really would like to think it will be OUR choice but I can sense a lot of selective editing so they get who they want in there after all