DS Fantasy Eurovision 33 - Cardiff

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the song but I wouldn't want it to / don't think it will win. I want to see non Xfactor stars represent the UK countries some time.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Almost 2 years too late but I've just realised Finland should have been disqualified from the first ever Fantasy Eurovision.

The rules were no act who had appeared at Eurovision or in an NF, but Tarja (who represented them) had- she took part in the Finnish NF in 2000.

(This is what happens when you can't sleep and end up browsing the Wiki)

Macedonia also sent Kaliopi!
  • stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanC55 wrote: »
    UK FOR THE WIN! Laura White is by far the best entrant in this contest and if she were to be robbed I for one would not be happy! She so deserves to win, by far the best act in the contest; if not ever entered.

No... just no... ;)
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanC55 wrote: »
    UK FOR THE WIN! Laura White is by far the best entrant in this contest and if she were to be robbed I for one would not be happy! She so deserves to win, by far the best act in the contest; if not ever entered.

I knew it was you as soon as the song was unveiled, and no I won't be giving it any points as I'm sick of bloody X Factor rejects appearing all the time. Not to mention you've entered Laura once before and didn't make the final, didn't that clue you in?
    Almost 2 years too late but I've just realised Finland should have been disqualified from the first ever Fantasy Eurovision.

The rules were no act who had appeared at Eurovision or in an NF, but Tarja (who represented them) had- she took part in the Finnish NF in 2000.

(This is what happens when you can't sleep and end up browsing the Wiki)

Macedonia also sent Kaliopi!

Wrong! :p The artist can't have competed in eurovision and the song can't have been in an NF. No mention of the artist competing in the NFs.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=48853782&postcount=102

Also if we're going to be really pedantic then neither of Nolwenn Leroy's entries should have been eligible for France as they're both traditional Breton chants.
  • kvnkvn Posts: 8,782
    Forum Member
    Otpusti menya reka was in the Russian National Final and that won the whole contest in Gyumri! :D
  • Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scanning the russian wikia i noticed that elka has been entered for russia in the first contest, but shes really ukrainian (i considered her once :p)
    Forum Member
    When I sent Lara Fabian, she was breaking one of the rules about not charting in more than 5 countries but that was never noticed... until now!
  • Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its funny that people find out this stuff now. it seems like people have become rule-nazis now, i really doubt these things would slip by now :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Votes all sent in, a very very strong 7 or 8 songs in my opinion in this final. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stanld03 wrote: »
    Votes all sent in, a very very strong 7 or 8 songs in my opinion in this final. :)

Yeah I really can't call the winner and i think the winner will win by a small margin.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey yall. I was bored so did my reviews. Here they are. Honestly one of the strongest finals imo in a long time. Only a small handfull I dont like, and a whole lot I will be continuing to listen to after.

Croatia - This song has grown on me alot. This is very strong actually. I think it being first, is making me see its real potential.
    Bosnia - Still like this one alot. I just worry it may get a bit lost in the playlist. Bu only time will tell about that.
    Spain - This is a good song. I can appreciate it quiet a bit. I just dont particularly have urges to listen to it more.
    Norway - Anther song I really like quiet alot more than in the Semi's. I get a sorta Soluna Samay vibe from this.
    Cyprus - This is the first one Im not that much of a fan of. I like the song, but I dont think the vocals match it, so its a bit all over the place.
    Armenia - This is such a great song. I do think this is one of the few to beat. Its both not typical entry you associate with Armenia, but still has glimpses of their scene. Like a few before this, much better this listen aswell.
    Russia - I gave this the same points as Armenia. But I've gone a bit the other way with it. Not as good as I remember it. I still like it, he opera bits annoy me loads now. Not particularly to bad though.
    Czech Republic- I still love the video. And Im growing on the song quiet a bit aswell. But still think its a tad overproduced.
    Portugal - Another great song. Very effective rockish ballad. Simple video, but nice. Yeah I like this all round.
    Moldova - I'm still loving this song alot. Really catchy. I find myself humming parts at random times. One of my own winners.
    Ukraine - This is another I think will be in strong contention for the win. And rightly so. Great diva song. One of the best chorus in the competition.
    United Kingdom - Nice song indeed. Especially considering Im not the biggest Laura White fan. But I think there are some stronger songs in the playlist.
    Turkey - Yeah, one of the songs I disliked on first listen. And still not completely getting it. Although its still not bad at all, like most songs so far.
    Estonia - There is a serious lack of duets in this final. This is a really great song indeed. Gotten a bit better aswell on relisten.
    Slovenia - Yet another song I like. Although considering the competition, I dunno if liking it is enough.
    Switzerland - One of my personal favourites. Really great song. Loved it from first listen. Everything about I like, bar that moustache.
    Ireland - And heres another song I love soo much. Everything about it is perfect. Song, vocals, and this sad but moving video.
    Sweden - Yeah I havent changed my opinion much on this. The song itself is good, I just dont like Robins voice, to make me interested in it.
    The Netherlands - Meh this is alright. Im not particularly loving it or anything. Just alright in this final.
    San Marino - This was quiet high in my votes earlier. This listen I've gone off it slightly. It still is a brilliant song. Just not as amazing as I remember it.
    Romania - I cant stand listening to listening this much tbh. Really dislike it.
    Italy - And another one I like is gonna be in the running for the well. And yeah its incredible. One of my favourites this contests, and probably my favourite Italian entry in a long time.
    Germany - I've still not made up my mind about wether I like her voice or not. And considering its the final, I think its a bit late to be diciding. His voice though, I love so Im in two minds.
    France - For me this is quiet a disappointing end to the final. Its one of a few songs I dont particularly like.

Winner wise, I can see four particular that have a great shot imo. But there are a whole lot of others that can easily do it aswell
  • avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Gwen 404 wrote: »
    scanning the russian wikia i noticed that elka has been entered for russia in the first contest, but shes really ukrainian (i considered her once :p)

This did catch me out when I was going to send the same song for Ukraine, but tbf she's based in Moscow and is as big in Russia as Ukraine so I think it was fine, it's no different to someone like James Cottriall.

For Varvara there was no NF for Russia that year, it was a song submitted for internal selection so you could argue that one either way I suppose.
    Forum Member
    avb wrote: »
    This did catch me out when I was going to send the same song for Ukraine, but tbf she's based in Moscow and is as big in Russia as Ukraine so I think it was fine, it's no different to someone like James Cottriall.

For Varvara there was no NF for Russia that year, it was a song submitted for internal selection so you could argue that one either way I suppose.

I have no problem with anything like that- in fact, I encourage it!

Sanremo is a hard one to decide though- is it classed as an NF or not?!
    Forum Member
    I have no problem with anything like that- in fact, I encourage it!

Sanremo is a hard one to decide though- is it classed as an NF or not?!

Didn't we decide a long time ago that it was fine? I'd just stick to that rather than confusing things, we must have had at least 4 or 5 Sanremo songs now.

As far as I can remember there was only one song that I couldn't allow last contest, but that was because someone mistakenly tried to send a Czech/Slovak song for a Balkan country when there was no connection whatsoever! :D
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sanremo is not a NF. As somebody on escnation said Nina Zilli's album was the NF.
  • JordanC55JordanC55 Posts: 9,348
    Forum Member
    I knew it was you as soon as the song was unveiled, and no I won't be giving it any points as I'm sick of bloody X Factor rejects appearing all the time. Not to mention you've entered Laura once before and didn't make the final, didn't that clue you in?.
    Firstly what makes you think it's me I simply said that the UK deserved victory for their amazing entry! Secondly you seem slightly irritated to say the least haha! Why? Laura is just to cool not be entered constantly! She will win and you will cry?
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quiet forum
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a little review from me...

CROATIA - Very Eurovision, I like this one, builds nicely! 8/10

BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA - Really like this! Great chorus. I really wonder how people find songs like this for these types of countries!! - 9/10

SPAIN - I like the intro, but then it just turns into a really weak song for me - 6/10

NORWAY - Really like this, good verses and a catchy chorus! As well as a f***ing sweater issue! 9/10

CYPRUS - This is ok, but I won't go out my way to listen to again - 6/10

ARMENIA - I like this a lot. Good beat with some traditional sounds - 9/10

RUSSIA - This is great too, like the pop opera songs. But perhaps not quite as good as the champion of champion, which may cost it - 9/10

CZECH REPUBLIC - I like this more than last time, but its quite a messy song, its ok. 7/10

PORTUGAL - I don't like this much this time, is a bit dull. 7/10

MOLDOVA - This would be good on a night out, but it is very generic. I like it though. 8/10

UKRAINE - It's like a saucy Christine Bleakley. This is better than I remember, but I'd be surprised if it's a winner like some of the comments suggest. 8/10

UNITED KINGDOM - Yay, glad the UK is united once more! I'm in two minds about this song. I like Laura and I like the song a lot, but I also think she is so much better than this song! A cathedral is just an odd lyric to me, but the voice does it - 9/10

TURKEY - This is another good one, I like the 80s vibe beat and this could deffo be on the radio 9/10

ESTONIA - Shocked this made it, it's a bit dull! 6/10

SLOVENIA - Out of all the "club" songs, this is a weakest. It isn't bad, just not as good as others. - 7/10

SWITZERLAND - I really don't like this - 4/10

IRELAND
    - It's not really a song for a contest, but it is one of those songs that is perfect for those down days haha. It's a good one - I just hope he got his bag back! 9/10

SWEDEN - Ahh, Joe McElderry has put on weight...oh wait....This is such a "glee - love yourself" song, but I like it. I like the dramatic coat flick on the chorus - 9/10

NETHERLANDS - This is pretty good, a bit lost in the draw for me though - 7/10

SAN MARINO - I like this less than last time, maybe I'm bored - 7/10

ROMANIA - A move in the up-beat direction. This is catchy, probably too summery to do well in this weather! ha.8/10

ITALY - I like Laura a lot. Another good song from her! 9/10

GERMANY - Her voice is awful. The tune saves this from being a zero! 3/10

FRANCE - VERY glee! I thought it might be a contender, but I think itll be near the bottom now. I like it though. 8/10

Overall a really good final! The right songs made it on the whole
    Forum Member
    I can't believe all of the criticism being levelled against Estonia- it's one of my faves that isn't actually mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe all of the criticism being levelled against Estonia- it's one of my faves that isn't actually mine.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice song, I just don't think it quite stands up to some of the competition in this Final.
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get over how good the chorus of Estonia is.

Not fussed about the rest of the song though. :p
  • AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, although Sandra Nurmsalu has always been underrated. Rändajad was one of my favourites in 2009.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing with Estonia was that it didn't really grab me in the semi and I was just shocked it qualified, its ok song just doesn't seem to have the sparkle of some of the songs in the contest including some of the ones that didn't make it.
    Forum Member
    The original version of Sel Teel is outstanding, I'd been waiting for months for them to release a video for it so I could send it as a pick. A bit disappointed the video turned out to be an acoustic version, it's lost a lot of its power, but still not a bad song.
  • CuishlaCuishla Posts: 16,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croatia have shot up in my rankings. It sort of passed me by in the semi final. Being first in the final has definitely helped it. Wouldn't mind seeing Bosnia, France, Germany or Italy win either.