Does anyone else h have a strong distrust for Operation Yewtree?

Femme FataleFemme Fatale Posts: 112
Forum Member
Following the morning's news about Rolf Harris, combined with all the other raids and arrests since Operation Yewtree, I find there is something about the whole exercise that makes me very, very uneasy in terms of a form of justice seeking.

I never really trusted it anyway, partly because it seemed to come about with real haste due to the embarrassment of Jimmy Savile's crimes getting outed but also because I suspected from the start it was witch-hunt based more than anything more concrete and honest.

Has anyone else just had a bad feeling about this from the start?

Comments

• kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No concerns at all.

A complaint is made and the police investigate those complaints - and that includes questioning those accused.

The problem is no one likes it when the accused is someone they personally like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am inclined to agree. It almost feels like they are pursuing any avenue, just a a show for the general public.

I thought that as soon as the Saville accusations came out though and the way that all politicians and media jumped on it was all for political gain.

None of it has sat comfortably with me at all. Certainly not the way it has been publically handled.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    No concerns at all.

A complaint is made and the police investigate those complaints - and that includes questioning those accused.

The problem is no one likes it when the accused is someone they personally like.

I agree with this.
  • Femme FataleFemme Fatale Posts: 112
    Forum Member

Not the problem at all. I couldn't care less for those involved thus far as far as media personalities go.

Do you really think distrust for something like Operation Yewtree is always due to something that shallow and simple?
    Forum Member
    I am inclined to agree. It almost feels like they are pursuing any avenue, just a a show for the general public.

I thought that as soon as the Saville accusations came out though and the way that all politicians and media jumped on it was all for political gain.

None of it has sat comfortably with me at all. Certainly not the way it has been publically handled.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm really surprised the whole thing isn't being questioned, and very vocally.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No concerns at all.

I agree despite what people think they really aren't picking names out of a hat to question or arrest that day a victim/s have come forwards so the person has to be investigated now whether the "victim/s" are telling the truth is the question or even if over the years the events have been exaggerated in the persons mind (i.e they think they are telling the truth but it didn't happen the way they remember) but if they are guilty I would hope the celebrity pay the price regardless of if I'm was/am a fan or not

I'd sooner someone I like get questioned than someone guilty get away with it
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I distrust is they seem to be going after celebrities and ignoring possible links with politicians. For example, what happened with regards to the Thatcher Cabinet Minister who was about to be arrested a few months ago?

http://spotlightonabuse.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/was-islington-child-brothel-covered-up-in-1986/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/scotland-yard-investigating-allegations-senior-politicians-abused-children-in-the-1980s-and-used-connections-to-escape-justice-8411989.html
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    How long is it going to go on for?

I think it's outrageous that someone like Rolf Harris can be plastered all over the newspapers on the strength of allegations made by possibly one woman of something that might or might not have occurred 40 years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm really surprised the whole thing isn't being questioned, and very vocally.

So it's a transparency issue? Why not read the Operation Yewtree reports? There's a report called Giving Victims a Voice, published by NSPCC, on the investigation of Saville. It explains what, who, why, when and how of the investigation. Here's an online version (PDF). As far as I know, there's a review/report on the overall performance of Operation Yewtree coming up this autumn.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    It seems that every famous male over a certain age could be a sex pest. Dave Lee Travis, Rolf Harris who next. Also these names should never be out in the public until they are found guilty in a court of law. Also why has it taken all these women 40+ years to come forward, they weren't children when it happened either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h_TGe1N5v4

I don't know really what to believe as I can't imagine some of these people could actually do that, but I agree names shouldn't be released until they are actually found guilty
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    It's the lesser of two evils IMO.
    Forum Member
    I don't know really what to believe as I can't imagine some of these people could actually do that, but I agree names shouldn't be released until they are actually found guilty

Kinda tough to find corroborating witnesses if you don't release the name of a suspect.
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    It's the lesser of two evils IMO.

I wish I could trust it, but it's just sending out a load of signals I find worrying. A large part of it is the inevitable trial by media aspect, but there is something about the actual Operation itself I feel an unexplained yet great unease about.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following the morning's news about Rolf Harris, combined with all the other raids and arrests since Operation Yewtree, I find there is something about the whole exercise that makes me very, very uneasy in terms of a form of justice seeking.

I never really trusted it anyway, partly because it seemed to come about with real haste due to the embarrassment of Jimmy Savile's crimes getting outed but also because I suspected from the start it was witch-hunt based more than anything more concrete and honest.

Has anyone else just had a bad feeling about this from the start?

Totally agree. Something just dosent feel right. I was totally gutted when I saw Rolf's face on sky news this morning. If he is guilty of something then the media reporting should wait until its been proved, this kind of mud sticks forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda tough to find corroborating witnesses if you don't release the name of a suspect.

I think the main problem with this whole sorry affair has been the sheer joy the media have taken on reporting it and how politicians and celebs on programmes such as Question Time have all had to have their say on it. For the Daily Mail this has been an abundance of treasure they could not let pass by..

I think the great British press is shameful. Using a situation such as this to sell papers and push an agenda.
    Forum Member

I agree if Jimmy's name had not been released most of the other victims wouldn't have come forwards and a lot would just think it was one or two people who got together to try and get something out of his estate or something.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. Suspects are named like they are in all other investigations to bring forward witnesses, for the defence too or to alert people with information in general. It's the media that's the problem for sensationalising certain cases.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Yes, I do now mistrust Operation Yewtree. They are taking things much too far, now.

Take DLT. Has now been suspended from "Magic" for months, which, unfortunately, will probably now end up being the end of his broadcasting career.

What will they find in the end? Probably something like he just put his arm around someone 30 years ago!

It's just getting crazy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real problem with this is that Yewtree is associated with Saville and underage sex...some of the celebrities , DLT, Hall(?) have been arrested due to accusations by adult women however unless people read into the cases this is not always made obvious and the celebs could potentially have the 'stigma' of possibly being involved in underage 'things'.

Also, there can be a no smoke without fire attitude with some people and people can be tarnished (even when accusations are untrue - e.g. John Leslie who became an untouchable.)
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Take DLT. Has now been suspended from "Magic" for months, which, unfortunately, will probably now end up being the end of his broadcasting career.

I was not aware of that and it supports my point - guilty before being proved innocent. Although remember Matthew Kelly ebing accused of similar and it did not affect his career as far as I can see even to the point of him appearing as a child killer (and putting in a most amazing performance too).

I'm uncertain about how the evidence/accusations are coming forward from accusers. One can only hope that the police are trying to see through chancers etc.

I am not sure, as I don;t read many newspapers or interact with people who read the gutter press whether the 'general public' are automatically assuming the celebs are guilty or they are being circumspect like many on this thread and others and 'waiting and seeing'.

I do hope this is not seen in the future as a British Mccarthy witch hunt which was fuelled by innuendo, chancers and people simply making false accusations.

I also think that any one accused of crimes involving adults shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Yewtree.
    Forum Member
    I wish I could trust it, but it's just sending out a load of signals I find worrying. A large part of it is the inevitable trial by media aspect, but there is something about the actual Operation itself I feel an unexplained yet great unease about.

Oh, I agree but, in the grand scheme of things, I think that the victims of abuse deserve to see justice done more than a handful of celeb's deserve their privacy.
    Forum Member

I think the great British press is shameful.

Me too. They are by far the most openly vicious - outright savage - media in the world. Not just the gutter rags but all of it. How they aren't ever reigned in I don't know, but it makes me despair.
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »

Also, there can be a no smoke without fire attitude with some people and people can be tarnished (even when accusations are untrue - e.g. John Leslie who became an untouchable.)

Well to be fair his alleged victim didn't say it was him but never said it wasn't him to let him get on with his life

Plus it wasn't just that what ruined him there are things he did do what ruined him to.

On the other end look at Michael Jackson falsely accused twice but was still selling out so many concerts to the point it ended up killing him so it didn't ruin his carrier
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has started to feel like a bit of a witch hunt and I feel the press has to shoulder a lot of the responsibility for that. If these people have done what they have been accused of then I hope they feel the full weight of the law. If there has been anyone who has falsely accused someone for whatever reason then they should get the same. The problem I have is that anyone who is arrested is automatically thought to be a child molester.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I agree but, in the grand scheme of things, I think that the victims of abuse deserve to see justice done more than a handful of celeb's deserve their privacy.

Amen.