Options

Why is Corrie always exempt from any criticism in papers media etc

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Ok I will admit I don't watch it and haven't done for years.

However is it that good that it is exempt from criticism of any kind, surely not. Or is it because it has been on for so long its exempt from any.

Even when Eastenders was winning all the awards and was much better than now, we used to get the old chestnut awards were unfair because it had an older audience and they didnt know how to use the internet to text to vote.

I assume they know how to do this now although I know the recent BSA's were mainly panel voted though

Comments

• Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll give it some constructive criticism, it's stories are good but it's actors/actresses are poor.

EE is at the other end, it's cast are brilliant but it's stories are dire
  • Options
    Quentin FearonQuentin Fearon Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Ken Barlow
    Frank Foster
    Kevin Webster
    Mystery ex Corrie Star

... Hardly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I'll give it some constructive criticism, it's stories are good but it's actors/actresses are poor.

EE is at the other end, it's cast are brilliant but it's stories are dire

Absolute nail on the head there Cherry.
    Spot on mate.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie has always been seen as warm and comforting while EE is seen as cold and distant.

Corrie has had its lulls but it plays to its strength with its humour and EE does not do that.

Kim is supposed to be funny but to me she is about as funny as toothache...
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In MY opinion...

Coronation Street is amusing
    Eastenders is depressing.

Coronation Street actors mostly excellent.
    Eastenders actors loud and rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree EE has some very good actors but its the writing and the storylines that are lifeless...
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders is definitely seen as the 'gritty' soap, just as Hollyoaks is the 'flashy' one and Corrie the 'heart-warming/comedic' one. Problem with this is there are very few genuinely likable characters in EE. They're all miserable, all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders is no longer gritty...
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders is definitely seen as the 'gritty' soap, just as Hollyoaks is the 'flashy' one and Corrie the 'heart-warming/comedic' one. Problem with this is there are very few genuinely likable characters in EE. They're all miserable, all the time.

Not at all, Poppy, Fatboy, Kim are meant to provide the comedy, tho I agree that its not everyone tastes then we have the likes of Abby, Jay, Alfie, Dot, Patrick, Alice that are generally nice people and heart warming as the saying goes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie is the media's darling. The show lives off the prestige that surrounded it in the past.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I disagree EE has some very good actors but its the writing and the storylines that are lifeless...

This! Eastenders has the best actors in soap its just that the storyliners are currently clueless as to what to do with most of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FatBoy is not funny in my opinion...

Corrie does comedy so much better and comedy is probarly one of the hardest thing to get right as an actor or writer.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Corrie is the media's darling. The show lives off the prestige that surrounded it in the past.

Eastenders has had enough prestige and a near 30 year history to also be the "media's darling"....but unlike Corrie which has mostly kept it's core and soul....EE has mutated from a brilliant show (1985-88 & 1990-2002) to a shouty, preachy, "right-on", ishooo led pantomime.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Because Corrie nearly always has something going for it. Most notably the familiarity of the characters and the audience investment that brings. Much easier to criticise a show with high cast turnover, minimal long term characters and at the moment a complete lack of big storylines that get the nation talking, which it is famous for.
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the best actors are leaving and have already left the show. The trick with Corrie is actors are kept happy hence why plenty have stayed when most EE characters never do.

I completely disagree with EE having the best actors and even more so now with what's left. Corrie does get criticized from time to time, but always pulls something out of the bag and employs producers who know the show inside and out.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Eastenders. Everyone's talking about it. (well they were in 2001)
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Its not on the BBC end off. The sun favours ITV more and enjoys giving the BBC a bashing as does the Daily Mail and at times the Mirror. Plus its on the BEEB and public funded. End of Story.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken Barlow
    Frank Foster
    Kevin Webster
    Mystery ex Corrie Star

... Hardly.

Good point!
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    All the best actors are leaving and have already left the show. The trick with Corrie is actors are kept happy hence why plenty have stayed when most EE characters never do.

I completely disagree with EE having the best actors and even more so now with what's left. Corrie does get criticized from time to time, but always pulls something out of the bag and employs producers who know the show inside and out.
    With Corrie the money is better. The BBC cant be seen forking out loads for its stars. Presenters on The BBC are on less money than some on ITV due to its budget.
  • Options
    ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    EastEnders is no longer gritty...

Course it's gritty - if you're using rhyming slang, that is ....;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    CS isn't exempt, neither are other soaps, The simple fact is that EE is terrible and deserves the criticism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly, News Of The World's last edition featured a report about how Corrie was dramatically dropping in ratings and was on it's last legs....
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly, News Of The World's last edition featured a report about how Corrie was dramatically dropping in ratings and was on it's last legs....

On its last legs? The NOTW unwittingly staring into its own abyss... Oh, what irony.
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie for me is terrible,but I haven't watched EE for a couple months so I dread to think what state it is in now if Corrie is walking the soap awards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie is not terrible.

The Street has really picked up its game in the past year.