Repeats of Early Taggart on True Drama & True Entertainment Channels

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,047
Forum Member
I was flicking through the channels a few days ago and noticed True Entertainment (Sky 184) and True Drama (Sky 183) are repeating early episodes of Taggart. They seem to be randomly chosen because tonight on True Drama it's series 2 ep 2 at 9pm, tomorrow at 9pm it's series 1 ep 3 on True Ent, Monday at 11pm it's series 6 ep 2 on True Ent........and so on! I'm glad the earlier ones are being shown, these don't tend to get repeated, especially the series when Taggart's sidekick was Livingstone and not Jardine. I used to love Taggart when I was younger and loved the theme tune :)

Thought I'd mention it for any fans of the Taggart episodes with Taggart actually in them!

Comments

• ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,047
    Forum Member
    A very young Alan Cumming and Julie Graham in this episode. Blimey this looks ancient :D
  • OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just spotted this myself yesterday. As you say there is no consistency as to the order in which the episodes are shown - this week on True Entertainment we have S7 ep3 tonight at 11pm (till 2am), S8 ep1 on Wednesday at 11pm, and S3 ep 1 next Sunday at 9pm (till 12am).

On True Drama (which I being on Virgin TV do not have), S4 ep2 is on Tuesday at 9pm, and S4 ep3 is on Saturday at 9pm.

For those on Virgin TV who do not know, the channel number for True Entertainment is 189. If I am up and about until 2am I may well watch tonight's episode.
    Forum Member
    Orangecrab wrote: »
    I just spotted this myself yesterday. As you say there is no consistency as to the order in which the episodes are shown - this week on True Entertainment we have S7 ep3 tonight at 11pm (till 2am), S8 ep1 on Wednesday at 11pm, and S3 ep 1 next Sunday at 9pm (till 12am).

On True Drama (which I being on Virgin TV do not have), S4 ep2 is on Tuesday at 9pm, and S4 ep3 is on Saturday at 9pm.

For those on Virgin TV who do not know, the channel number for True Entertainment is 189. If I am up and about until 2am I may well watch tonight's episode.

It's a bit of a pick n mix! I've also noticed a few of the same episodes cropping up more than once too. At least we're getting some of the Taggart episodes with actual Taggart in them though which I'm glad about :)
  • huxley1huxley1 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it be something to do with who owns rights to the episodes?

I believe the rights for the original Mark McManus episodes aren't all owned by the same company, the reason there isn't a complete boxed set of them all.

Some of the episodes were on newspaper freebie DVDs - I'm guessing right to show those would be cheap. Could it be those episodes that are being shown?

It would be nice to seem them run all in order.
  • Antony_EdgeAntony_Edge Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    True Entertainment is on freeview channel 61, (not available in wales) This maybe why it shown on 2 channels, Not sure on copyright issues may be down to what actors are in episodes. To my understanding the series was made by Scottish TV (STV).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had another look and there is a complete Taggart boxset of the original series but it hasn't been released in the UK from what I can see.

http://www.amazon.com/Taggart-Complete-Original-Starring-McManus/dp/B004I654V2
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my husband a box set of the first six stories (Killer to Funeral Rites) which says it's volume 1 though I don't know what other sets there are.

They are fun though, we're loving watching the old ones on True Entertainment and the newer on alibi :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to look for those sets too, but the later volumes seem to miss out some episodes.

I do like to watch series in order, as there are usually character developments or changes.

I'm getting a bit swamped with these new channels though, there's so many series I want to watch from the start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Watched 'Love Knot' last night. A very baby faced John Michie was in it, ironically called 'Robby' (pre- Robbie Ross)
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own a complete set of the McManus Taggerts. I got it off the Amazon UK site two or three summers ago. The hard episodes to find are the midrun and later ones. There's no rhyme or reason to the way they're packaged. And there's about five episodes, including Robbie's debut, that were never released. (At least at the last time I went looking.)
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 of the reasons why there has never been a complete Taggart boxset released here in the UK may have something to do with the distribution rights.

I own all the Jim Taggart episodes & the the episodes with Jardine in charge.It took me a while to collect them because 2 distributors had the rights to certain episodes.Clear Vision had the distribution rights to 23 Mark McManus episodes while a company called John Williams Production Limited had the rights to the other 8 Mark McManus episodes.

The crazy thing is it's not like Clear Vision had the rights to the first 23 episodes of the series & JWPL had the rights to the last 8 episodes of the series .For example Clear Vision released the episode before the character Jackie Reid made her debut & the episode after she made her debut but her debut episode "Death Comes Softly" was released by JWPL.

The same goes for when Jardine was in charge.Clear Vision released so many of the episodes & JWPL released the rest

Clear Vision released a 42 disc box set back in 2007 called "The Taggart Collection".The boxset contained episodes from Series 1-18.However there were 14 episodes missing from the boxset due to JWPL having the rights to those episodes.The missing episodes were

Knife Edge - Series 2
    Flesh & Blood - Series 5
    Death Comes Softly - Series 6
    Nest of Vipers - Series 7
    Double Exposure - Series 7
    The Hit Man - Series 8
    Death without Dishonour - Series 9
    Secrets - Series 10
    Legends - Series 12
    Angel Eyes - Series 12
    Dead man's Chest - Series 13
    A Few bad Men - Series 15
    Long Time Dead - Series 15
    Bloodlines - Series 16

I think the majority of the Alex Norton episodes were released by Acorn Media.
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote: »
    1 of the reasons why there has never been a complete Taggart boxset released here in the UK may have something to do with the distribution rights.

I own all the Jim Taggart episodes & the the episodes with Jardine in charge on dvd .It took me a while to collect them because 2 distributors had the rights to certain episodes.Clear Vision had the distribution rights to 23 Mark McManus episodes while a company called John Williams Production Limited had the rights to the other 8 Mark McManus episodes.

The crazy thing is it's not like Clear Vision had the rights to the first 23 episodes of the series & JWPL had the rights to the last 8 episodes of the series .For example Clear Vision released the episode before the character Jackie Reid made her debut & the episode after she made her debut but her debut episode "Death Comes Softly" was released by JWPL.

The same goes for when Jardine was in charge.Clear Vision released so many of the episodes & JWPL released the rest

Clear Vision released a 42 disc box set back in 2007 called "The Taggart Collection".The boxset contained episodes from Series 1-18.However there were 14 episodes missing from the boxset due to JWPL having the rights to those episodes.The missing episodes were

Knife Edge - Series 2
    Flesh & Blood - Series 5
    Death Comes Softly - Series 6
    Nest of Vipers - Series 7
    Double Exposure - Series 7
    The Hit Man - Series 8
    Death without Dishonour - Series 9
    Secrets - Series 10
    Legends - Series 12
    Angel Eyes - Series 12
    Dead man's Chest - Series 13
    A Few bad Men - Series 15
    Long Time Dead - Series 15
    Bloodlines - Series 16

I think the majority of the Alex Norton episodes were released by Acorn Media.

Thanks for that info, gerryd :) So they are out there if I look then?! I really want to get the Jim Taggart ones, I'm not bothered about the series without him.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shock did a region O release called Taggart Legends volume 6 has: Legends, Devil's Advocate, Angel Eyes, Dead Man's Chest, Apocalypse, and Babushka. This may have been an Australian release.

Devil's Advocate, Apocalypse, and Babushka were also released by Clear Vision Taggart: Volume 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that gerry, I thought it was something complicated like that.

There seems to be a complete R1 set now though.

http://www.amazon.com/Taggart-Complete-Original-Starring-McManus/dp/B004I654V2
    Weird that it wasn't released in the UK.
    Is it any wonder people turn to illegal downloads?

This DVD looks to be a release of some of the missing episodes.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Taggart-Mark-McManus-Collection/dp/B007XU0V72
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I saw the one with Barbara Dickson in a week or so ago.

Legends I think it was called iirc.,