Options

Why do people self harm?

Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
Forum Member
✭✭
Cry for help?
Attention seeking?
Get a rush from it?

It could possibly be a mix of all those things I guess, but I've noticed people always have different reaction depending on the person and their history. For example some people hide it and some people will constantly tell people they do it. I read quite a sick article a few years ago about a website which featured tons of self harmers who egged a girl on and she ended up going too far. Seems horrible, but then again they could've well been trolls.

What're your views on self harm?

Comments

• Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I know a lot about it having self harmed on and off for many years and now well over 4 years into my recovery.

Sadly there are a small bunch who pretend they do it and shove it in everyone faces.

Those who genuinely self harm go to extreme lengths to hide it. I know I did. However now I couldn't give a toss who sees my scars and what they think. Well except in my placements as I can't tell a young child why I have scars so I make up a fun reason that's suitable.

I did it and most people to do it to cope with things going on in their life and to get a release from whatever they might be feeling - stress, upset, scared and many other emotions. It feels like their own option to cope. Some do it to keep themselves alive instead of committing suicide. It often goes hand in hand with a mental illness but NOT always. You can be mentally well and self harm. It's not to attention seek from most, as again, we go to amazing lengths to hide it.
  • Options
    foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's most often a behaviour resulting from low self-esteem, depression , unresolved anger, and is also, I believe, often a form of attention-seeking behaviour....almost a challenge to the self-harmer's parents/guardians/significant others to notice the pain they are feeling....

"If I was worth anything, you would notice how I feel, you would rescue me if you really loved me, you would have noticed me bleeding." etc

There's often a lot of anger in people who self-harm.

It's an act of violence.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do it when I read too many inane DS thread titles
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I used to self harm after my nervous breakdown, the reason is quite simple.

Extreme pain releases endorphins, endorphins relieve stress and anxiety, and make you feel pretty good. In a panic attack, a severe one, I would inflict as much pain on myself as possible to calm down, this mostly involved cutting my arms. The problem is, the endorphins are addictive, and it takes more and more pain each time you do it to get the same response. I have around 200 scars, most inflicted within about 6 months. I'm not ashamed of it, shit happens, but it is what it is. I had to go to hospital once for the damage I did to myself. In the most severe panic attacks, I would try and scratch my eyes out, but I don't have nails, which is fortunate.

You also have attention self harmers though, but they generally do it for other reasons.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's something you don't understand until you do it. I've never done it and am curious.

Do you do it because you feel you deserve "punished"?
    Does it bring a sense of release?
    Does it make you feel better or worse? Etc
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am now 16 months self harm free , for me it was a mixture of depression , frustration, anger and a lot of self hate . Even thou I can still have some terrible SH thoughts I am in a better place in my head to be able to manage and distract from them that took two and a half years of CBT type therapy . I still cover my scars when I go out because they go quite red and more noticeable in this warm weather and I am not ready to deal with people staring at them
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't even know why I did it. I just did one day and then kinda got addicted to the feeling. It seems ridiculous looking back.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    My twin sister self harmed in her teens, she used to cut the tops of her legs where it didn't show. She's okay now though, has been for years, she had help through CAMS. She thinks it was due to alcoholic parenting and being gay. It was a worrying time because no way was she attention-seeking. I only found out on holiday in Morocco when we were 15.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read about people who do or did it, like the US actress Christina Ricci. From what I've read, it seems to be about controlling pain, they have a different form of pain (non physical), such as emotional pain, maybe they feel abandoned, not listened to, are being bullied etc. and they feel they can't express the hurt their feeling due to that. Self harming introduces a sense of control that they like, it makes up for a lack of control they feel have elsewhere in life. I believe there's a sense that the physical pain they make themselves feel, masks the deeper pain they don't fully know how to deal with.

I don't know if that makes much sense and im no expert but from the little ive read, that seems to be roughly what its about.
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be able to *feel* something. Anything. Anything to stop the numbness of a real deep depression.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's something you don't understand until you do it. I've never done it and am curious.

Do you do it because you feel you deserve "punished"?
    Does it bring a sense of release?
    Does it make you feel better or worse? Etc
    You can read as much stuff as you like about it but you can't fully understand without doing it.

Yes a lot of people do it to punish themselves. I certainly did. It does give you a release and often a rush of endorphines. It makes you feel better and then almost immediately (but sometimes not) even worse.
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I am now 16 months self harm free , for me it was a mixture of depression , frustration, anger and a lot of self hate . Even thou I can still have some terrible SH thoughts I am in a better place in my head to be able to manage and distract from them that took two and a half years of CBT type therapy . I still cover my scars when I go out because they go quite red and more noticeable in this warm weather and I am not ready to deal with people staring at them
    Well done Spooky :) Your scars go red due to the rise in temperature, mine often go red during the summer but are white. I'd say let them stare, most people won't even notice! Although when mine were still very fresh and I had them out (we were in a different country), this guy STARED at me the whole time we were in a restaurant and my Mum was really upset by it :(
    My twin sister self harmed in her teens, she used to cut the tops of her legs where it didn't show. She's okay now though, has been for years, she had help through CAMS. She thinks it was due to alcoholic parenting and being gay. It was a worrying time because no way was she attention-seeking. I only found out on holiday in Morocco when we were 15.
    I'm glad she's managed to stop & has got better Frankie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I've read about people who do or did it, like the US actress Christina Ricci. From what I've read, it seems to be about controlling pain, they have a different form of pain (non physical), such as emotional pain, maybe they feel abandoned, not listened to, are being bullied etc. and they feel they can't express the hurt their feeling due to that. Self harming introduces a sense of control that they like, it makes up for a lack of control they feel have elsewhere in life. I believe there's a sense that the physical pain they make themselves feel, masks the deeper pain they don't fully know how to deal with.

I don't know if that makes much sense and im no expert but from the little ive read, that seems to be roughly what its about.

It's mostly the endorphins. Just like shopping, trust me, I've been there. It calms you, makes you feel good, and is addictive.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's mostly the endorphins. Just like shopping, trust me, I've been there. It calms you, makes you feel good, and is addictive.

I can't really deal with pain personally, it must feel different to different people. I accidentally cut my thumb on a razor a few days ago and freaked out about it :o I hate that sort of feeling, it puts me on edge and gives me the scares that there might be blood, it definitely doesn't calm me. I was too scared to look at it :blush: I get pretty depressed at times but thankfully haven't gone down this road.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    CrazyLoop wrote: »

I'm glad she's managed to stop & has got better Frankie.

Yeah, me too. She's got a lovely girlfriend who completely gets her and she's well and happy. I felt hopeless and helpless when I realised what she was doing, stupid too, because she's my twin, and I never knew.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I can't really deal with pain personally, it must feel different to different people. I accidentally cut my thumb on a razor a few days ago and freaked out about it :o I hate that sort of feeling, it puts me on edge and gives me the scares that there might be blood, it definitely doesn't calm me. I was too scared to look at it :blush:

If you were in extreme panic, you would change your mind.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vicky. wrote: »
    I honestly don't even know why I did it. I just did one day and then kinda got addicted to the feeling. It seems ridiculous looking back.

I did for a period of about 6 months about 3 years ago. I get what you mean by the addictive side of it. It was almost becoming a compulsion at one point so I made a strong effort to not do it again and break the habit. There's probably reasons why I did it but I don't really think about them now I don't do it any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, me too. She's got a lovely girlfriend who completely gets her and she's well and happy. I felt hopeless and helpless when I realised what she was doing, stupid too, because she's my twin, and I never knew.
    Awwwwwww that's really good :D Aw you're not stupid. Even twins hide things sometimes :(
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I did for a period of about 6 months about 3 years ago. I get what you mean by the addictive side of it. It was almost becoming a compulsion at one point so I made a strong effort to not do it again and break the habit. There's probably reasons why I did it but I don't really think about them now I don't do it any more.

I stopped because my dad found out and started asking me what he had done to make me feel like this etc etc. It was the first time in my life I had seen him cry and it shocked me so much. I was about 16 then. Him blaming himself when it was nothing at all to do with him, or anyone really...kind of knocked me out of it. I realised how stupid I had been. Still get the urges every now and again now though..but know better than to act on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I did it once when I was about 16. I was going through an extremely emotionally painful and confusing time. I knew that other people did it so I thought that it might help me too. I regretted it as soon as I'd done it and got no rush or relief from it at all, hence why I've never done it again. I can still see the scars almost 7 years later although they are not visible enough for others to see. I so wish I hadn't done it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Cry for help?
    Attention seeking?
    Get a rush from it?

It could possibly be a mix of all those things I guess, but I've noticed people always have different reaction depending on the person and their history. For example some people hide it and some people will constantly tell people they do it. I read quite a sick article a few years ago about a website which featured tons of self harmers who egged a girl on and she ended up going too far. Seems horrible, but then again they could've well been trolls.

What're your views on self harm?

As a former cutter it is certainly not attention seeking. I did it because I was seriously depressed, it was a release mechanism and a way of turning mental anguish into something physical, which I found easier to deal with. You get wound up and wound up and you just want a way to release all the pain and anguish.

As for the story in your post that is awful, serious trolling. Poor girl
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I first started when I was 12 maybe 13 years old.
    My parents got divorced, I wasn't seeing my dad as much.
    My Mum was working all the hours under the sun.
    So I started self harming almost as a cry for help at first.
    But the more I did it the more I found it as a type of Escapism.

Eventually stopped.

at this point I was 20-21 years old.
    Had a terrible time where I lost my Home, Girlfriend, Best friend and job all within a month.
    Which caused me to have a nervous breakdown.
    Then while I was recovering from it I found myself starting to self harm again,
    This time it seemed to be under a different guise though, I seemed to be using it
    as a healing process instead, Almost as if the more it hurt the more relief I felt.

So I personally think self harm disguises its self in may ways.

Problem is it does seem to have a stigma attached to it,
    Where people think Self harm is just something young people do for attention.

Now when I look at my scars I kind of think what where you thinking you donut...
    But at the time I wasn't thinking that is the problem.

I think a lot of self harming cases can be stopped just by talking though.

I mean if you think a friend or a member of you're family is going through a tough time
    just make sure you give them an extra 10-15 minutes out of you're day.
    But don't go storming in like the S.A.S just buy them a coffee or a bunch of flowers and let them know you have their back in the last garrison know matter what.

I am typing this message as I look ay my own scars and thinking of my mistakes and
    Hardships...

So if you are a self harmer or someone trying to help a self harmer don't feel alone.
    People will support you.

When you are at you're lowest it doesn't mean you're at the end of you're book.
    It means you are at the beginning of a new Chapter.

From
    Someone who knows.

Everything will be ok.
    Just give it time.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I do it when I read too many inane DS thread titles

If that's the case, I'm surprised you're still alive!
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    If that's the case, I'm surprised you're still alive!

They typed that with bloodied stumps.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple answer from me..... at times of deepest despair it made me feel just a bit better.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coping mechanism