Options

Storm warning for Monday!

Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member
Watch out southern England, winds will get up to 50mph!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24654390

I went to the met office site after seeing that, expecting to see 60 or 70mph. :yawn:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's often Scotland that gets battered with wind and it can be quite frightening.

Hope it's not as bad a predicted.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    I went to the met office site after seeing that, expecting to see 60 or 70mph. :yawn:
    The chief forecaster's assessment on the Met Office site says (among other things)
    There is the potential for gusts of over 80 mph, especially on exposed coasts, both in southwesterly winds ahead of the low and west to northwesterly winds behind it.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's good.

We can be assured a dry, warm, windless day on Monday then.

They don't seem to be able to forecast the weather yesterday, these days. Sunday they said for London "may get away with a dry day - possibilities of some showers, but will be very localised and soon move away".

We had a monsoon for 2 hours in the afternoon. The A406 was flooded.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    That's good.

They don't seem to be able to forecast the weather yesterday, these days. Sunday they said for London "may get away with a dry day - possibilities of some showers, but will be very localised and soon move away".

:D This is so true, but they are good with big mass areas of probable weather, sadly they struggle with forecasting showers and thunderstorms. Saturday afternoon took my by surprise.

It does seem that Monday will be windy, but by how bad it is - we will have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I better get my wellington boots out of the shed & check there are no false widow spiders lurking in them :eek:
  • Options
    SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I got me thermals on order, ready for winter :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    :D This is so true, but they are good with big mass areas of probable weather, sadly they struggle with forecasting showers and thunderstorms. Saturday afternoon took my by surprise.

It does seem that Monday will be windy, but by how bad it is - we will have to wait and see.

They are only issuing a yellow warning - the lowest one.

I don't think they have ever forgotten October 1987 ....
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Fish has already said it will be okay! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19923565
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    That's good.

That is simply untrue and a bit Daily Express :rolleyes:

Forecast is not fact and I very much doubt it rained for 120 minutes as you suggested or that the wording of the forecast was as you say.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    They are only issuing a yellow warning - the lowest one
    It is an amber for the south coast counties all the way from Cornwall to Kent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then sadly for this thread you did not look properly. there are plenty of SW england stations with sunday pm gust forecast for 60 mph

maybe if you were less tired you could get your facts correct...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    |The actual wording so far: "A very intense low pressure system is forecast to run northeastwards across the country early on Monday, bringing the potential for an exceptionally windy spell of weather for southern parts of the UK. At the same time, persistent, heavy rain could cause some surface water flooding.

At this early stage there is uncertainty about the timing, intensity and track of the low. However, the public should be prepared for the risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures, bringing disruption to transport and power supplies. "
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    October has been pretty rubbish in terms of weather. Barely enough time to hang out washing for it to dry as it's always raining.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    They are only issuing a yellow warning - the lowest one.

I don't think they have ever forgotten October 1987 ....

Its Amber Warning for Monday, for the winds
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely power is more secure these days, as arent most electric cables, buried underground these days
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Northerly wrote: »
    |The actual wording so far: "
    At this early stage there is uncertainty about the timing, intensity and track of the low. However, the public should be prepared for the risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures, bringing disruption to transport and power supplies. "

"Uncertainty about the timing, intensity and track of the low" is key.

Already, there are disagreements between the computer models about exactly where and when the winds will intensify most. GFS, for example, currently suggests that the worst of it will develop over and beyond the North Sea.

I am very surprised that the Met Office has issued its orange warning so soon, knowing how the tabloid media will produce panic-stricken headlines of an event that may or may not occur at maximum severity over the UK.

What their Warning matrix actually depicts is that the impact of this event would be high (so potentially VERY serious) but the liklihood is moderately low and this *just* warrants an amber warning instead of a "be aware" yellow. If I had to make the decision, I would have issued a yellow "be aware" warning at this stage (because of likely stupid media reaction).
  • Options
    DbarDbar Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    Then sadly for this thread you did not look properly. there are plenty of SW england stations with sunday pm gust forecast for 60 mph

maybe if you were less tired you could get your facts correct...

tee hee. i liked this.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Express must have almost combust when they knew they could make a headline out of this.
  • Options
    glitterlady08glitterlady08 Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Express must have almost combust when they knew they could make a headline out of this.

I combust all the time, cause they get it wrong...:mad::D
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible im actually pretty scared. Better make sure my two rabbits are indoors not risking any harm to them by leaving them outside. Just wish nice weather would come back
  • Options
    Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Could this affect North West England? or is it just Scotland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen_Kent wrote: »
    Could this affect North West England? or is it just Scotland?

Scotland is getting a drenching tomorrow but its the S and W of England that will get the winds sunday into monday

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=5
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

They'll have already written their combustion-busting headline for Monday in case it doesn't come off (seems to be around 40% chance of it happening at the 'crisis' level, so less than evens) "Met Office Cry Wolf - AGAIN!" :rolleyes:

So to stop that, we could do with a nice Winter gale that blows branches about on trees, produces some great photos of massive breaking seas, and scares people but doesn't cause any serious damage or casualties.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely power is more secure these days, as arent most electric cables, buried underground these days

I think in cities they are undergorund but as soon as you hit the outskirts and countryside the cables all still seem to be overhead.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

50mph winds are not nice wherever you are, but a bit silly to use bad weather for a dig at the south. The MET office are quite right to give warnings so people are aware, I apologise in advance on behalf of the South if we are not flattened by Winds to your satisfaction next week.