Artic Monkeys

HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I love their new album - also my OH is going to see them in Earls Court tonight, I am extremely jealous.

Anyone else a fan? Anyone else going tonight?

Comments

• SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Massive fan love their recent album too.... hope your husband has fun :p
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love everything they've done. Seeing them in Sheffield next Saturday. Different setlists so far on the tour so it looks like they're mixing it up a bit. They could easily play for much longer though, the amount of quality tunes they leave out of their set is ridiculous.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,917
    Forum Member
    I know a few people who are off to see the arctic monkeys this weekend. Sadly I'm not one of them :(
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I liked the first album the best, the second album the second best....
    i've only heard a couple of tracks from the new album from Later with Jools - which is on tonight
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said it was one of the best gigs he's ever been to. I am glad I didn't go now, he was down the front, with about 15k people around him. :o

He says he's getting a bit too old for moshing now. He's only in his 30s. :rolleyes:

He said they were incredible. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to both nights at Earls Court. They're so good live, and the new songs sound great live too.

Not gonna lie, I was at the front, but off to the side a bit, and I felt old at 26. I don't usually go to gigs that attract such a massive % of teenagers. :p
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Alex has the dreaded Larry N Jitus and this evening's gig in Brum was cancelled hours before the doors opened. Tomorrow night's gig in Glasgow has also been postponed. Both gigs have already been rescheduled. Getting a bit worried about Saturday night's hometown gig now, was really looking forward to it.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Alex has the dreaded Larry N Jitus and this evening's gig in Brum was cancelled hours before the doors opened. Tomorrow night's gig in Glasgow has also been postponed. Both gigs have already been rescheduled. Getting a bit worried about Saturday night's hometown gig now, was really looking forward to it.

On what dates?
    Forum Member
    I think that you have to contact that people that you bought the tickets from ^

Poor Alex. :( I bet they're gutted.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I think that you have to contact that people that you bought the tickets from ^

Poor Alex. :( I bet they're gutted.

I was being lazy, should have just checked their website:
    The show at the LG Arena in Birmingham will now take place on November 20th and the show at the Glasgow Hydro will now take place on November 21st. All tickets will remain valid for these shows.
    Forum Member
    I was being lazy, should have just checked their website:

No problem. :) Hopefully you can make that show instead.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people have been slating them on Facebook and Twitter for cancelling, some even speculating they got heavily drunk on Halloween. Slightly unfair.
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    A lot of people have been slating them on Facebook and Twitter for cancelling, some even speculating they got heavily drunk on Halloween. Slightly unfair.

I know. It's terrible, isn't it? I don't think that a show is ever cancelled or re-scheduled lightly.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair to them they have rescheduled as soon as possible, rather than having to wait for months
    Forum Member
    To be fair to them they have rescheduled as soon as possible, rather than having to wait for months

That's good. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheffield rescheduled now to Monday 18th November. Disappointing, but at least it's not too long to wait. Shame it's a Monday though.

The people slagging them off are just being dicks. They're the first gigs they've ever cancelled, they even played when Matt Helders was really ill and he had a sick bucket next to his drumkit which he used a few times. I'd rather them rearrange than play and it be a crap gig.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Bands play pissed all the time. A hangover wouldn't stop a gig.
    Unless he is a total primadonna like Axl Rose but i doubt he is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I love the fact the spelling of the band name is wrong in this thread :-)
    I saw them the Saturday at Earls Court and in Cardiff on Tuesday - awesome live and his voice was fine pre Mercury party ;-)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

Pretty stupid of them to suggest it, especially when the Arctics have now cancelled 3 gigs. Must be some hangover.
    Forum Member
    Saw them at their rescheduled show at the Sheffield Arena last night and they really are an awesome live band. Fantastic gig with an amazing atmosphere. You know you are in the presence of greatness when they put on a superb show without playing such stellar songs as 505, When The Sun Goes Down, View From The Afternoon etc.. Such a back catalogue to choose from after just 7 years in the business.
  • squirtlesquirtle Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    On reflection, I would have preferred them to drop Old Yellow Bricks from the set list (never been a favourite of mine) and play 505 or When The Sun Goes Down instead. Would have been the perfect gig then. But an amazing gig all the same and Turner is a 'proper' singer/frontman these days. And the new songs sound incredible live (although they do have more 'help' these days in the form of an extra guitarist/keyboard player as well as the occasional appearance from both Tom Rowley from Milburn and Bill Ryder-Jones from The Coral. Plus, bizarrely, a bloke standing at the very end of the stage who simply plays the tambourine on virtually every song!). BTW, Turner is a very underrated guitarist. Bloke can really play (and sing at the same time!).
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    On reflection, I would have preferred them to drop Old Yellow Bricks from the set list (never been a favourite of mine) and play 505 or When The Sun Goes Down instead. Would have been the perfect gig then. But an amazing gig all the same and Turner is a 'proper' singer/frontman these days. And the new songs sound incredible live (although they do have more 'help' these days in the form of an extra guitarist/keyboard player as well as the occasional appearance from both Tom Rowley from Milburn and Bill Ryder-Jones from The Coral. Plus, bizarrely, a bloke standing at the very end of the stage who simply plays the tambourine on virtually every song!). BTW, Turner is a very underrated guitarist. Bloke can really play (and sing at the same time!).

I love Old Yellow Bricks but I love the other two songs mentioned too. I've been listening to 505 a lot lately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the Sheffield gig was great. Alex Turner has improved massively as a front man, even since the Suck It And See era. He's a lot more animated now.

It's ridiculous the amount of songs they've got that would be great live, they could pretty much do a whole setlist of stuff they didn't play!

Knee Socks
    I Want It All
    The View From The Afternoon
    Fake Tales of San Francisco
    When The Sun Goes Down
    A Certain Romance
    Secret Door
    The Fire and The Thud
    Dance Little Liar
    She's Thunderstorms
    Black Treacle
    Hellcat Spangled Shalalala
    Library Pictures
    Piledriver Waltz
    Suck It and See
    That's Where You're Wrong

That's 17 songs just off the top of my head that I'd be quite happy for them to play and that doesn't include any b-sides!