Which contestants - past & present - do you think truly had "The X Factor"?

Comments

• emma555emma555 Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    This interests me, really because I see it all the time online, from the press and many people like yourself. Rhydian is repeatedly grouped with the novelty acts. He's a classical singer, highly trained and very skilled. He never was a joke act.

I see him regularly in concert and he blows people away with his voice. On his recent tour he had two standing ovations evry night. It's a shame and I blame the way he was edited and portrayed when he was in the public eye during and after the show. He isn't odd, he isn't weird, he's just a normal guy. I know he's not to everyone's taste but he has a phenomenal voice. I just wish people didn't think he's some sort of novelty singer, it's so far from the truth.

Not having a pop at you, I hope you understand.

Rhydian is the only X Factor contestant I've ever seen live, and he was brilliant. Buckets of charm, energy and talent. He's prob my favourite ever contestant.
  • soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stroop X wrote: »
    What record did she break?

Wasn't her last album a novelty Christmas album in any case?

I don't have any particular dislike of Leona, but she hasn't done anything relevant musically for ages.

The record was for for first British female to have 8 top 5 singles.

I really fail to see how her Xmas album was a novelty. There were 3 original tracks on this album, all good.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona and Alexandra.

Pure star power, I think they have more X Factor between them, than any other contestant that has ever auditioned for the show.

Leona's got the vocals and powerful stage presence, Alexandra has got "the show" and commands the stage.

Both of them are record breakers literally and really did set the benchmark for the show.
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Leona and Alexandra.

Cher Lloyd, Little Mix and Amelia Lily all had something that came quite close to it.

It feels so strange that every single act I've named is female when I far prefer male singers/bands :confused:
  • Kenneth_ChowKenneth_Chow Posts: 3,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Males have the looks factor that can get them by...the girls NEED the x factor to do well...
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Males have the looks factor that can get them by...the girls NEED the x factor to do well...

I see your point and there's probably a lot of truth in it, but surely if a male had the xfactor as well as or instead of looks he'd be on the list? I'm struggling to think of one I'd even put on the 'nearly runs' list.
  • collide101collide101 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Janet Devlin. Her album is a work of art and really shows her full creative potential. Someone as special as her can't be played around with on a tv show, she needed her independence and clarity. I can't stop playing 'Running with Scissors' in my car, and she also has some really good songs that haven't been officially released like 'Crown of Thorns', 'Pick Me Up' and 'Nothing Left to Hide'. It honestly baffles me how she isn't more well known. She may not be the public's definition of 'The X Factor', but she's mine. Hopefully as she grows up, she'll become more recognised
  • GANA66GANA66 Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ant & Seb for me.
  • Robert_WhippyRobert_Whippy Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren and Andrea will prove to have it
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    Leona Lewis
    Alexandra Burke
    Olly Murs
    Jls
    One Direction
    Little Mix
    Cher Lloyd
    Misha B
    Tamera Foster
    Fleur East
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olly is the only one that has the total X Factor.

He is a good singer, has a good personality and seems to enjoy going out there and entertaining the public.

Leona probably did have the best voice, but she never managed to keep in the public eye. Its also been far too long since she won, most people watching the X Factor wouldnt really know who she is now.
  • Robert_WhippyRobert_Whippy Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »

He is a good singer, has a good personality and seems to enjoy going out there and entertaining the public.

Leona probably did have the best voice, but she never managed to keep in the public eye. Its also been far too long since she won, most people watching the X Factor wouldnt really know who she is now.

Thats not true. I know who she is. She was the last presenter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not true. I know who she is. She was the last presenter

Are you sure!!! I thought she was the Warm up guy:D
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member

To my ears, Olly is a pub singer and is repeatedly flat and out of tune when I've heard him live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rattie wrote: »
    To my ears, Olly is a pub singer and is repeatedly flat and out of tune when I've heard him live.

I would agree that he is not the best singer, but for over all package he has managed to make the most out of this.

I do suppose its everyone different opinion on who or what is a good singer, as I have said I dont mind Olly singing (though he is not the greatest), but I find him easier on my ear that the like of Leona who I never really enjoyed.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    I would agree that he is not the best singer, but for over all package he has managed to make the most out of this.

I do suppose its everyone different opinion on who or what is a good singer, as I have said I dont mind Olly singing (though he is not the greatest), but I find him easier on my ear that the like of Leona who I never really enjoyed.

Indeed he has! Good for him. He was one who was lucky enough to have the label want to give him original songs and a style and sound which is current and suits him. Many better singers didn't get that kind of investment.
  • Arthur_BArthur_B Posts: 3,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At the beginning of every new series of the X Factor, Leona is mentioned in the media alongside One Direction, Olly and co as being one of the biggest stars the show has ever found. Plus just last year she was at 3 in the chart with her Christmas single, which she performed on the X Factor semi finals - a song which is climbing back up the itunes chart as we speak. So no, I don't agree with the suggestion that most X Factor viewers wouldn't know who Leona was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthur_B wrote: »
    At the beginning of every new series of the X Factor, Leona is mentioned in the media alongside One Direction, Olly and co as being one of the biggest stars the show has ever found. Plus just last year she was at 3 in the chart with her Christmas single, which she performed on the X Factor semi finals - a song which is climbing back up the itunes chart as we speak. So no, I don't agree with the suggestion that most X Factor viewers wouldn't know who Leona was.

Well compared to Olly and One Direction, she would probably be the least known.

I am not saying anything bad about her, but compared to these ones she has had the least profile in the last few years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stroop X wrote: »
    Well, apart from the fact that her career is now basically over…

She's working with the likes of Dallas Austin and Diane Warren and is now signed to Island records, which is a far better label than Syco. So how exactly is her career basically over?

And even if that was true, so what? Nothing detracts from the huge success that she has had. That was the point I was making.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well compared to Olly and One Direction, she would probably be the least known.

I am not saying anything bad about her, but compared to these ones she has had the least profile in the last few years.

I agree that their profile is currently higher than Leona's (although Leona was more successful during her peak than Olly), but that's not the same as saying most current viewers wouldn't know who she was. She would still be remembered. Bleeding Love is performed pretty much every single year during the live shows.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Completely disagree with this.

Olly may have become the show's most successful male artist post-show but I don't think he has "the x factor" at all. He's been incredibly lucky to be surrounded by a decent team with great A&R which ensures he's marketed correctly. His success is mainly based on that and his image in my opinion. In terms of talent, he's one of the weakest out of the success stories of the show. His voice is distinctly average and his dancing isn't as great as it seems - the fact that every other male solo act on the show can't move on the stage makes it look like Olly is Michael Jackson in comparison. Fair play he's built a strong career and some of that success is down to him but he's miles away from having the x factor in my opinion.
  • lazy marelazy mare Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Stube wrote: »
    I'd say:

Leona Lewis - It's hard to argue that she doesn't have "the x factor" to be honest.

I don't think she really did in the show. She looked awkward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lazy mare wrote: »

I understand that. She wasn't a natural performer. Yet, for me, her vocal made that irrelevant. Plus she was, by miles, the best contestant during Series 3, so she hugely stood out.

Her performance ability has gotten a lot better since she won the show however.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lazy mare wrote: »

I think her lack of confidence back then added to her "x factor". She had an extraordinary vocal range and the fact that she was incredibly humble helped endear her to the general public. She was like the people's champion back then.
  • CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    X Factor is just a metaphor for moving the goal posts when it suits in this instance.

Not one contestant has the X Factor.

Some have shown outstanding vocal talent and the ability to stand out in their year.

Leona, Leon, Alex, Joe, Matt, Sam B all winners who won on merit rather than pure manipulation imo.

Many have gone on to carve out very good careers in the music/entertainment industry and are now showing that they are more than a one trick pony and are doing well despite X Factor the show and all its negative connotations.

Didn't take much notice of Ray Quinn on the show, but watched him today on Channel 5 promoting his Christmas charity single and he has really matured into an incredibly multi-talented and versatile artist which includes acting, singing, dancing, etc. His airing on DOI was fantastic but he appears to be involved in so many positive things. Good for him! He has done it away from the tacky XF bubble.

He is just one who have proven to be amazingly talented and doing well away from the XF bubble.

I don't have much time for the XF puppets whose careers have been manipulated towards success. Their survival outside the XF bubble and its influence will be interesting to see if they ever have the guts or the opportunity to leave it.