Options

The big list o' manipulations thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I can think of several...

Diana Vickers getting a week off during Mariah Carey week, after being showed shouting "toffee apples!!" just days before.

Failing to mention that at least two members of Wand never sing, or mime. With a million vocals on the backing track to make them sound good. Bigging them up like they're the hardest working act in the country when they don't do anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mollina wrote: »
    False sense of security thing is a huge manipulation trick - obviously not accidental, since Aiden was called first the week before (NO PARTICULAR ORDER apart from the one that f*cks with the audience's heads the most) The order in which people are called can be considered manipulative I think - early call-outs to give this idea that that act is more popular than it is; or nail-biting leave-it-to-the-last-minute callouts that give an impression of vulnerability which may scare people into voting.

I really hadn't thought about this, but you've got an excellent point there - you are left thinking 'oh no, oh no, my favourite act is in the bottom two!' and it does manage to leave an impression that they're somewhat vulnerable, even though we know that there is 'no particular order' in which the acts are called out.

Subtle hints that the judges drop (particularly Simon, who is perceived as the 'all knowing' judge) definitely play a role. Whilst 'you're definitely safe' stops people voting, 'you may be in trouble' practically hands RSI to the voters on a plate.

Giving a contestant a final slot gives across the impression of 'best saved for last,' every time.

Giving a contestant a hair cut gives a 'revamped and raw' image that spurs you to vote, for some reason. A general image/attitude change works well, too (Rachel's sudden manic persona last year saw her rake in the most votes that night).

If a contestant themself cries right after the performance, they're guaranteed to top the votes (Ray, Same Difference, Cher... probably).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally bland lukewarm comments that aren't inspiring enough either way to get people voting.

False sense of security thing is a huge manipulation trick - obviously not accidental, since Aiden was called first the week before (NO PARTICULAR ORDER apart from the one that f*cks with the audience's heads the most) The order in which people are called can be considered manipulative I think - early call-outs to give this idea that that act is more popular than it is; or nail-biting leave-it-to-the-last-minute callouts that give an impression of vulnerability which may scare people into voting.

Aiden was shafted. Simon couldn't have two of Dannii's boys doing well, and he knew Paije wouldn't have had longitivity anyway.
    And yeah the order thing, you're so right. Rebecca was probably quite near the bottom this week I reckon, because she was called out first. Sometimes the person who's called out last as safe though, geniunely is that close to being the bottom two, but they'll only do that for people they like and want to stay in the competition.
  • Options
    lizmlizm Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excluding Wagner from the Heroes single/ Wagner not having the same promotion as the other contestants he hardly had any exclusives on the x factor home page whilst the'rage against the x factor' was in swing.. It was all Cher & One direction Matt and katie, When you typed in 'X factor' on utube all the other contestants where there apart from Wagner!?

Oh and all the newspapers labeling him...'weirdo', 'creep,' 'oddball' why so mean..? I liked him :) I felt all his press was bad..:confused:
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series-

Death slots (start the show)
    Overs - 3
    Boys - 3
    Groups -1
    Girls - 1

Pimp slots (closing the show)
    Overs - 0
    Boys - 1
    Groups - 1
    Girls - 6

Judged sing offs
    Overs saved - 1 (only when against another over)
    Boys saved - 0
    Groups saved - 1 (only when against another group)
    Girls saved - 6

(a group,over or boy has never been saved by the judges over a girl )

...and then of course we keep being told how well Cheryl has a done to keep her acts.:D
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally bland lukewarm comments that aren't inspiring enough either way to get people voting.

This is the reason Mary is always read out late : would you believe the earliest she has ever been called out (before last week) was sixth?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    This series-

Overs - 3
    Boys - 3
    Groups -1
    Girls - 1

Overs - 0
    Boys - 1
    Groups - 1
    Girls - 6

Judged sing offs
    Boys saved - 0
    Girls saved - 6

...and then of course we keep being told how well Cheryl has a done to keep her acts.:D
    WOW! When you put it like that, one can't help but wonder how manipulative this show has gotten.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series-

Overs - 3
    Boys - 3
    Groups -1
    Girls - 1

Overs - 0
    Boys - 1
    Groups - 1
    Girls - 6

Judged sing offs
    Boys saved - 0
    Girls saved - 6

Well that pretty much sums it up :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    This is the reason Mary is always read out late : would you believe the earliest she has ever been called out (before last week) was sixth?

sadly I would :D
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This series-

Overs - 3
    Boys - 3
    Groups -1
    Girls - 1

Overs - 0
    Boys - 1
    Groups - 1
    Girls - 6

Judged sing offs
    Boys saved - 0
    Girls saved - 6

Excellent work! Wonder what she's got on Cowell?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series-

Overs - 3
    Boys - 3
    Groups -1
    Girls - 1

Overs - 0
    Boys - 1
    Groups - 1
    Girls - 6

Judged sing offs
    Boys saved - 0
    Girls saved - 6

:mad: What's the point of voting on this show? Cowell gets what Cowell wants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Danni and Louis- what's the point in their acts (bar Matt) even turning up- they are cannon fodder :(

and then having to listen to how Cher still has (HAD) three acts left :D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Constantly saying the "joke" act is ridiculous week after week and then one week suddenly saying "That wasn't too bad" in order to pull the old "reverse psychology" gag
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Danni and Louis- what's the point in their acts (bar Matt) even turning up- they are cannon fodder :(

and then having to listen to how Cher still has (HAD) three acts left :D

How many times has a Cheryl act been in the bottom 2 this series? I completely lost count....bizarrely she still somehow ended up with three acts in the quarter finals.Who goes? Cowell and the producers decide :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    How many times has a Cheryl act been in the bottom 2 this series? I completely lost count....bizarrely she still somehow ended up with three acts in the quarter finals.Who goes? Cowell and the producers decide :D

Eight - Katie five times (an XF record - no other act has managed it more than three times), TreyC twice, and Cher once. And the only time the judges sent a girl home was, of course, TreyC when she was up against Katie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Think back to the year when Leon Jackson won...do you remember the whole, 'it's England Vs Wales Vs Scotland' thing they had on all the adverts for the final, a phrase which was repeated throughout the final show.

Rhydian was a clear favourite throughout the series and defo should've won in my opinion and thousands of others opinions who complained to Ofcom.

Seemed like a set up to get Leon to win as the Scottish vote is so powerful in these kind of shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anactoria wrote: »
    Eight - Katie five times (an XF record - no other act has managed it more than three times), TreyC twice, and Cher once. And the only time the judges sent a girl home was, of course, TreyC when she was up against Katie.

What annoys me is that they make no attempt to hide their blatant bias towards Cheryl this series : it's quite breathtaking stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I just though it was hilarious the way Cheryl was remarking upon it on the Xtra factor like it was an achievement-

she appears to have a bizarre sense of entitlement- she gets angry if Louis dares to criticise one of her acts- she gets angry if Wagner (allegedly) says she's from a council estate- she gets angry if people aren't constantly complementing her

She’s getting more like Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci) in Goodfellas every week :eek:

Also she appeared to believe it was an achievement that Katie was 'still here fighting'- I actually liked Katie more towards the end but the only reason she was there was because Simon kept saving her :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    What annoys me is that they make no attempt to hide their blatant bias towards Cheryl this series : it's quite breathtaking stuff.

Honestly, it almost makes me think that she's being set up - what the British public loves most is knocking somebody off their pedestal, and they're putting her on a pretty high one. I don't think Simon is as entranced by her as people think; although he probably likes her, and likes having a pretty girl on his arm, she's essentially disposable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Oh, has anyone else noticed that 'the bigger the star the contestant sings with on the final the more chance they have of winning'?

Joe - George Michael
    Alexandra - Beyonce
    Leon - Kylie Minogue

makes you think doesn't it!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    This has been probably been said, but putting Wagner on first last week to ensure he was as forgettable as possible, ensuring he was at least bottom three so Simon could wheel out the ole "It's in the hands of the public" and "The public have spoken!" speech and put us back in our places.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    lisa1972 wrote: »
    1. turning storm into a joke figure, dodgy song choices, putting him on 1st during SCD crssover, THAT choreography on born to run. Telling him he wasnt allowed to sing certain songs and then others singing them , the really negative comments almost laughing at him , louis obvious lack of support for him! i could go on!!! :mad:

2. Danyls bad press, bad song choices, changing key of songs last minute, changing songs last minutr, not allowing him to dance, lukewarm comments by the girls, ott praise by simon:mad:

3. nicolos glasses!! song choices, negative comments

4. katies jh, only showing the one she messsed up not the one she nailed, after gamu so people thought it was her vs gamu, bad press, lukewarm comments

there's a pattern.
    XF picks on the arseholes.
  • Options
    MithMarrMithMarr Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sudden unbelievable surge of votes for the 'real' bottom 3 towards the end of voting time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lisa1972 wrote: »

4. katies jh, only showing the one she messsed up not the one she nailed, after gamu so people thought it was her vs gamu, bad press, lukewarm comments

Agree with this one. They didn't even suggest that they had 2 auditions at the judges houses, so nobody even saw the audition both Katie and Cher managed to complete without incident unless they'd seen the XtraFactor. I think it was the beginning of a hate campaign for both of them (especially Katie). Unjust and pretty awful of the editorial/production team.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ribtickle wrote: »
    Making a contestant sing (your) Sex Is On Fire, to link negative media stories about her grandmother to the performance.

To be fair, I think they said it was HER choice of song.

Oh, and another manipulation I really haven't liked this year: the backing-track for the groups (especially One Direction). They may as well be miming. Not very fair on the solo performers who aren't getting that half as much.