Options

Katy Perry - Birthday (4th single)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
Forum Member
Katy has released the lyric vid for her next single 'Birthday'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqYxyd1iSNk

How does everyone think this song will do? I liked the song beforehand but the lyric vid makes me like it even more!

Top 10 maybe?

Comments

• Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who know''s? I thought Unconditionally would be a top 10 but alas no. This will probably get decent radio play and as long she releases an epic video then it should do well :).
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Love this! I still love Dark Horse too - her best single since ET. Glad the Prism era is still picking up after Unconditionally. I wonder if this album will produce as many singles as Teenage Dream - which I believe to be one of the best album campaigns in years!

I personally don't like Unconditionally and was pretty pleased it didn't do very well. It didn't deserve too as it's by far her weakest single.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Love this! I still love Dark Horse too - her best single since ET. Glad the Prism era is still picking up after Unconditionally. I wonder if this album will produce as many singles as Teenage Dream - which I believe to be one of the best album campaigns in years!

I personally don't like Unconditionally and was pretty pleased it didn't do very well. It didn't deserve too as it's by far her weakest single.

Legendary Lovers, Walking On Air, International Smile all potential future singles so there is life in the campaign yet and the tour has yet to begin :).
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    I love Katy but this so is so middle of the road, verging on down right boring.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible choice of a single. It works as an album track, not a track to work in the charts and to try and get people to buy the album

I can't see this era having hit after hit like her last album, not that it matters but just saying
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best choice.

Seems the most loved! Getting positive signs too!
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't understand why people are saying this is a weak single choice? For me, Birthday is one of the strongest on the whole album and was crying out to be released. It's perfect pop and infuses the whole 70s disco theme that's been popular in the last 12 months or so.

I don't think it will go Top 10 simply because it's a 4th single. I think Top 20 is a given though. And it will certainly do better than any other tracks would do if they were released. Imagine Legendary Lovers, International Smile or This is How We Do tearing up the charts? Cos I can't, as much as I love them!
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiritual should be a single
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate this song. Worst on the album by far IMO. I look forward to avoiding it as much as possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »

I was just about to post that ^_^

IMAGINE THE VIDEO. So many possibilities.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Katy Perry wants an international flop then yeah she should go for this
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song is okay but not one I'd rush to buy.

Prism has been a really disappointing era for Katy, I think, after how amazing Teenage Dream was. The only songs I've been crazy about are Roar, and Unconditionally.
  • Options
    mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not very keen on this song. Legendary Lovers would be an amazing single. I haven't really enjoyed any of the other songs on the album except for Dark Horse - sad because I'm a huge fan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birthday is a good song x but I prefer International Smile

I love spiritual but I don't think it would do well in the charts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Spiritual but if we learnt anything from Unconditionally people want fun Katy still. Birthday ticks all the boxes it's bright and fun with less kitsch and bubblegum. Plus it is a grower and after a while sticks like glue.

That said Walking On air has to be a single it will absolutely smash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I love Spiritual but if we learnt anything from Unconditionally people want fun Katy still. Birthday ticks all the boxes it's bright and fun with less kitsch and bubblegum. Plus it is a grower and after a while sticks like glue.

That said Walking On air has to be a single it will absolutely smash.

Yes, i agree about walking on air

I would love to see Ghost released. The only song i actually listen to off the album mainly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, i agree about walking on air

I would love to see Ghost released. The only song i actually listen to off the album mainly

I'd love Double Rainbow.

I enjoy the album overall, has some nice diversity, and the second half is very strong. Just takes repeats is all :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    If Katy Perry wants an international flop then yeah she should go for this

Flop? That's the only single left I can see going to no1 on the album
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flop? That's the only single left I can see going to no1 on the album

Really Walking On Air and Legendary Loves stand a much better chance IS is top 10 #1 not so sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Really Walking On Air and Legendary Loves stand a much better chance IS is top 10 #1 not so sure.

IMO the ones from the album which would likely make top 10 or even 5 with the right airplay & advertising are:
    - Birthday
    - Walking On Air
    - This Is How We Do
    - International Smile
    - By The Grace Of God
    - Spiritual

Later this year streaming is to be counted in the official charts and no doubt with Katy's tracks be placed high due to this, This Is How We Do could be a summer anthem this year due to this & will get no1 in the US due to streaming & airplay.(I don't even like the song but can't disagree how catchy it is, think Call Me Maybe) It will do well

Legendary Lovers idk there's something about it that puts it off single material in my eyes, not that' it's bad in general but I think the other 6 listed seem more airplay friendly ie likely to get more of it, I can see R1 & Capital playing these to death, I can even see Heart playlisting these songs
  • Options
    Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a huge fan of Katy and cant wait to see her in may on tour. Prism is a brilliant album and it is full of Singles. Birthday wouldn't of been my choice for the next single but it is single material and seems like a positive choice . It is well liked and should be top 10. Almost all the songs can be singles from the album and I think she will release This is how we do as her next single followed by Legendary Lovers.
  • Options
    STEPHENFOX20STEPHENFOX20 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I've just bought the album based on this song alone. She's sold it to me! Love 'Birthday' exactly what I want from Katy after the previous singles she's released. Love it!!!
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I really thought that Legendary Lovers would be released at some point. I'd release that over Birthday.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video though. I'm picturing Last Friday Night part II
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I really thought that Legendary Lovers would be released at some point. I'd release that over Birthday.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video though. I'm picturing Last Friday Night part II

Same

I remember predicting this when i first heard it back when the album leaked