Options

Has a book ever made you cry?

Comments

• Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I remember watching that as a child with my two older brothers, we all cried.

Oh, you MUST read it!! It's a short story so shouldn't take long. Have hankies at the ready!! ;)

:cry:

:D
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of them have, but none quite as much as "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes. That one really touched me deep inside.

Other books that have had me reaching for the tissues are "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and "Memoirs Of An Imaginary Friend".
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Wasn't expecting to but burst into tears on the final page. Felt a bit silly but I suppose the boy's sudden optimism in his capabilities just choked me! :o
  • Options
    jolfc5jolfc5 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Without My Daughter....I think it is by a lady called Betty Mahmoody and her true story , I blubbed when she escaped with her daughter,:)
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Wasn't expecting to but burst into tears on the final page. Felt a bit silly but I suppose the boy's sudden optimism in his capabilities just choked me! :o

Yes! Read that earlier this year and the ending had the same effect on me too.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I have cried at many books, but the first that sprung to mind for me are The Time Travellers Wife, I just cried for the last quarter of the book non stop I think. The Hunger Games really got to me too.
  • Options
    Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Giving Tree.

Stunningly short and simple,but very emotional.It's a kids book,but kids actually wouldn't get the point.It's really more relevant to thirtysomethings and older who are grasping at what's left of their youth.

Look it up and have a read.
  • Options
    prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

This is probably a joke post, but sometimes when I am reading to my son and his little eyes look up at me in wonder at what's going on in the story I want to weep a little. I read him my favourite childhood book which my parents found in their loft and had a little blub whilst reading it to him!
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    First book to ever make me cry was Where the Red Fern Grows. I think I was about nine years old, and man did I sob. And I'm not even really a dog person.

First book that made me cry was Charlotte's Web when Charlotte dies:(:cry:
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was wee, The Fox Cub Bold would make me weep at the end :o Oh, and Charlotte's Web :(
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen Jo wrote: »
    OMG this - never cried so much over a book (and I'm a crier :o )

Haha tell me about it! :D And the Fool's hurt - damn, Robin Hobbs is good.

I also cried over Stephen Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I absolutely love the characters in his books, and when I re-read them I still go from sheer joy to crying. Damn, I'm a softie. In the olden days, I'd be one of those ragged villagers all shiny-eyed in the front row when the wandering bards turned up.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many times it's ridiculous. I've cried at : Of Mice and Men, A Monster Calls, The Time Traveler's Wife, Charlotte's Web, When God was a Rabbit and Animal Farm to name but a few.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    The entire Fifty Shades series.

I cried because I knew that those three books of crap were going to sell like hotcakes and turn the author into a multi-millionnaire.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Tickle.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marley and me was a bit emosh.

Yes, got me too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    The entire Fifty Shades series.

I cried because I knew that those three books of crap were going to sell like hotcakes and turn the author into a multi-millionnaire.

lol... did you read them? I cried cause I spent a month of my life reading that pish
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading The Little Matchstick Girl to my daughter when she was little and I could barely get to the end without sobbing. My daughter thought I'd gone a bit nuts.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few books:

A Child Called It.
    I read it one Saturday evening in a couple of hours. I started crying on the first page, and continued crying to the end, much to the amusement of my (then) teenage sons :mad:

The Shape of Snakes by Minette Walters. It said on the back of the book that the last page would make you cry - and it did.

I cried at The Kite Runner film, but strangely enough not the book.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    lol... did you read them? I cried cause I spent a month of my life reading that pish

I only read the sex scenes. They were tame by my standards.
  • Options
    Nellie1000Nellie1000 Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My James by Ralph Bulger
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I only read the sex scenes. They were tame by my standards.

OOOOh Big Boy!!! :eek::D
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    When I was about 8 years of age, I read a book called The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson, that made me cry.

He was a genius...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I cried when I realised the DCS A-10 Warthog manual was 671 pages...
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Potter series, particularly the last two books :o

Most/all of Cathy Glass' books have me in tears at some point..
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams- I don't think I could ever read it again :(