black Friday 2014 in the UK?

Comments

• CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did people buy last year?

This is the first time I've heard of this and thinking of going before work.
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it's basically Boxing Day sales 2.0? Pure greed.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    How many more American imports are going to be forced on us.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving - why do we have a Black Friday? Isn't it just a sale?
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anya D wrote: »
    You take your bargain hunting seriously.
    I like it :)

You have to get in early, go by yourself and refuse anyone who tries to buy a place in the line or buy them an item
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to get in early, go by yourself and refuse anyone who tries to buy a place in the line or buy them an item
    Do you have to actually go to the shop when you can buy online?
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    I was looking a Lenovo Flex 2D on Amazon to see how much they were going reduced by....it was counting down...and was all claimed in seconds :eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LJOTDH2?ref_=gb1h_img_c-2_5767_c72c3413&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again, remember that it is only a bargain if you were going to buy the item anyway.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, remember that it is only a bargain if you were going to buy the item anyway.

Agreed!

Anyone planning on asking exactly what is available as part of black friday dont bother, the stock comes in wrapped in black plastic on pallets, and its not opened until just before it goes on sale. The staff wont know until they are loading it onto shelves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    Agreed!

Anyone planning on asking exactly what is available as part of black friday dont bother, the stock comes in wrapped in black plastic on pallets, and its not opened until just before it goes on sale. The staff wont know until they are loading it onto shelves.

I bet staff claim things for themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did people buy last time out?
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    How many more American imports are going to be forced on us.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving - why do we have a Black Friday? Isn't it just a sale?

Is it being forced upon you? Is anyone strong-arming you down to the shops and forcing you to buy something you don't want?
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A "lone wolf" strategy. I approve.
    It's simply madness to go sales shopping with anyone else, unless they are onboard with the idea of going your separate ways and just meeting up at the car after.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    Which shop is that then?

Do you actually need to go to the shop as I presumed most of the deals would be online?
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could do with grabbing a good bargain, but you can guarantee those that get the bargains will be the ones that don't actually need what they've bought or can afford it without it being heavily discounted. Always the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Do you have to actually go to the shop when you can buy online?

I believe Asda is in store only
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did people buy last time out?

I bought a smartphone (which I actually needed!) for £99. In Asda they had TVs, microwaves, tablets etc. There was a queue right around the shop and some people were asking to buy places in the queue
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »

8:00 am is late haha, our stores are all opening between 4 and 6 pm on Thursday now. I know I'll be shopping with my family in Ohio. I'm hoping to score some awesome deals. The mall stores all offer great promos.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet staff claim things for themselves.

Not at the store I work at they dont.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't the PC people complained about the name yet? :confused:

I heard that the Monday after is called Cyber Monday. Is that right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a smartphone (which I actually needed!) for £99. In Asda they had TVs, microwaves, tablets etc. There was a queue right around the shop and some people were asking to buy places in the queue

So you can fill your trolley before 8am but only buy the things you want at those prices at 8 and have to queue until then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »

I've seen that mentioned online somewhere. Can't remember where or its legitimacy.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Cyber Monday is supposed to be the main internet shopping day before Christmas. Everyone has had their November pay day and they blitz their Christmas shopping, hoping it gets delivered in time.

There was some good deals last year on Cyber Monday, I bought quite a few prezzies.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They can't really. Black Friday is the day stores go from bring in the red to black. Nobody could argue it means anything else.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    They can't really. Black Friday is the day stores go from bring in the red to black. Nobody could argue it means anything else.
    Some people will argue Black is White, so to speak.;-)
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member

Yep, but the PC Cybermen are going to complain about that :)