Options

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apologies in advance if a thread has been made already. I couldn't find one.

I'm a huge AC fan and I'm somewhat looking forward to Syndicate even after Unity pretty much damaged the brand. I'm confident it will have much better gameplay and be better optimised. I also dig the dual protagonists idea and I hope that Evie is a real meaty character and not a fridged throwaway like Elise.

I've seen a couple of videos and the story looks like a return to what worked i.e. Assassins being Assassins and not pirates or American Revolution heroes. I hope the modern day story line returns too.

Comments

• Options
    Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree about the games only working when it's just focused on just assassins being assassins. Assassins Creed 4 was one of the series' best, though AC2 is still my favorite.

I don't buy the games on release anymore since the whole series is very much played out due to the yearly releases, but will probably pick up unity at the end of the year, and Syndicate the end of next.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be buying this game purely because it's set in England. That sounds like a joke, but I legit am buying it for that reason.

I mean, I have been meaning to give AC another shot. I've only ever played ACII, which was wonderful, but for some reason never bothered to pick up another title afterward. Seeing this one being set in Victorian London piqued my interest.
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I'm definitely getting syndicate.

I hated BOTH Unity and Black Flag - the AC games are meant to be about assassins, NOT dumb@$$ assassin pirates roaming the seas -what the hell is all that about....?! >:(

AC2 & AC:Brotherhood is where I think the series hit its highest point - its been steadily going down hill from there.....

Lets hope Syndicate is a 100% improvement over Unity & Black Flag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    I'm definitely getting syndicate.

I hated BOTH Unity and Black Flag - the AC games are meant to be about assassins, NOT dumb@$$ assassin pirates roaming the seas -what the hell is all that about....?! >:(

AC2 & AC:Brotherhood is where I think the series hit its highest point - its been steadily going down hill from there.....

Lets hope Syndicate is a 100% improvement over Unity & Black Flag.

Agree with the bit in bold. Apparently Syndicate is made by the same team that made Brotherhood hence bringing back the use of environmental objects and Brotherhood recruits to take down enemies.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not getting along with Unity at all, so Syndicate is going to be a delayed purchase.
    (nothing to do with the fact that as of Nov 10 my world is going to be a post apocalyptic wasteland for the foreseeable future ;-))
    Arno's movements are so clunky and awkward after the steady increases in fluidity over the series. Black Flag & Rogue's controls were excellent.

@Dandem
    I'm assuming you just mean AC2 stand alone gme? If you haven't, you should get Brotherhood & Revelations to complete Ezio's story. Very cheap now and that off-sets the fact they are basically large DLC. Although I think Brotherhood is one of the better games in the series.

AC2 > Black Flag > Brotherhood > Rogue > AC > Revelations >>> AC3 >>>>>>> Unity
  • Options
    JimezJimez Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Black Flag to me, is the best in the series. Great story, great setting and plenty to do. I loved sailing around the ocean being a Pirate for a change. I picked up both Unity and Rogue last year, played Rogue first for 2 reasons

1. The ending spoils the beginning of Unity, but ties it in quite nicely
    2. Unity was a broken mess

Don't get me wrong, Unity was a decent game. It just felt that Ubisoft went in too deep with what they wanted to achieve, hence now the backtracking in Syndicate. I think i only suffered a few instances of slow-down and bugs, but overall it was ok. The DLC was a mess as well, thankfully it was free*

*For non-season pass holders, the pass holders got this DLC, the 1st part of Chronicles as promised. And a free game of choice from the list given, i took Rayman Legends as part of the deal.

I always look forward to Assassin's Creed games, they are one of my favorite gaming series in recent years.
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not getting along with Unity at all, so Syndicate is going to be a delayed purchase.
    (nothing to do with the fact that as of Nov 10 my world is going to be a post apocalyptic wasteland for the foreseeable future ;-))
    Arno's movements are so clunky and awkward after the steady increases in fluidity over the series. Black Flag & Rogue's controls were excellent.

I'm having the same problem. No one speaking with French accents is bad enough but what were they thinking changing the controls?

I had Syndicate on pre order but cancelled it partly for the controls in Unity and also because I'll be busy wandering around Boston. :D
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AC2 was the only game in this series that grabbed my attention, I found the others to be a bit of a chore. The Assassin's Creed games had a promising story but with the yearly releases it kinda killed it.

Syndicate does look good though, the fact it's in London makes me want to play it, but it's not a day one buy for me.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a sucker for the AC series so I am looking forward to Syndicate, I am glad the game is finally been set in England as well.

I really enjoyed Black Flag but felt that should have been its own franchise, it really wasn't a proper AC game in my view. As good as it was (One of the best AC games) I think Ubisoft really missed a trick and could have created a great new franchise. I still hope Rogue will get the remastered treatment at some point.

Unity was bloody awful though, horrible controls and I felt the story was pretty boring as well. I am still trying to motivate myself to finish that game off with the DLC and collectables on the map. Normally I enjoy running around collecting the various chests and items but the controls made that feel like a chore in Unity.

Glad to hear Syndicate is been made by the team who made Brotherhood which is one of my favourite AC games.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting this one for sure, I haven't played an AC game since 3, I hated it so much lol. I obviously love the setting but I also love the idea of playing as a female assassin. I hope it's not just the odd mission. Ubi have been making her the focus of the last few trailers so i'm hoping we get to play a significant amount as her.

AC 2 is my favourite followed by Brotherhood, the revenge story in 2 didn't feel cliched, that opening section really got me hooked on Ezio. If I like Syndicate half as much as I liked those it will be a good purchase for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I'm getting this one for sure, I haven't played an AC game since 3, I hated it so much lol. I obviously love the setting but I also love the idea of playing as a female assassin. I hope it's not just the odd mission. Ubi have been making her the focus of the last few trailers so i'm hoping we get to play a significant amount as her.

AC 2 is my favourite followed by Brotherhood, the revenge story in 2 didn't feel cliched, that opening section really got me hooked on Ezio. If I like Syndicate half as much as I liked those it will be a good purchase for me.

Reportedly, it's 80% Jacob and 20% Evie however you can play as Evie in free roam all you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Black Flag but felt that should have been its own franchise, it really wasn't a proper AC game in my view. As good as it was (One of the best AC games) I think Ubisoft really missed a trick and could have created a great new franchise. I still hope Rogue will get the remastered treatment at some point.

I enjoyed Black Flag as well, for me it was the high point of the series, it felt like a massive open world compared to that of the previous games. Brotherhood and Revelations were good, the world itself was pretty small when compared to 1 and 2.

As for BIB, I am almost certain this will happen at some point, it has already been released to PC with fairly favourable reviews. The porting should be piss easy considering the leading home consoles use the same architecture, might even make it a bit more pretty.

I shan't be buying this game on release, I have been a bit daft this year and bought games on the hoof and paying full coin. Syndicate will almost certainly be in the Christmas sales. Having had the god awful experience with Unity I don't think I will ever buy an AC game on release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been watching the gameplay footage from EGX on YouTube. Looks great so far. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I've had a very up and down relationship with AC.

Hated 1.
    Loved 2.
    Hated 3
    Loved Black Flag

Athough i loved black flag for the pirate simulator, not the AC bits.

I am so bored with the AC bits that i didn't bother with Unity.

I wasn't going to bother with syndicate either, but i do like the London setting.. I think i will pick it up with its cheap, which wont take long for PC.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Assassin's Creed - Great graphics, dull plot, tedious characters, repetitive gameplay, great score, decent ending.
    Assassin's Creed 2 - Good graphics, refined gameplay, interesting story and characters - it was what the first should have been ideally.
    AC: Brotherhood - Even more refined, better story and a decent continuation of the previous game. Perhaps wrongly setting the standard we'd get many games with each protagonist.
    AC: Revelations - Decent story, less interesting location, stale gameplay and tone.

Assassin's Creed 3 - Brilliant gameplay, dragged out story, felt refreshed and took the series in new directions but the characters mostly fell flat.
    AC: Black Flag - Great characters, decent gameplay, new direction. A deviation from the core mechanics of the series, but in my opinion all the better for it - best in the series.
    AC: Rogue - Great mix of the best bits from the previous two, fascinating Arctic environments. Story is decent (Portugal segment is superb) but way too short overall.
    AC: Unity - Superb graphics but the plot is slow-going, gameplay is stunted and the whole structure of the game is messy/distracting. Had a PS4 for a month and not bothered going back to this - despite finishing the only other game I currently have.

I'll be getting AC: Syndicate without a doubt. I'll be going back to Unity soon, but it's not felt like more of a chore since the original game, and it's hard to pinpoint why given it looks so great. and has Paris for a setting! I'm hoping the problems have been taken on board, and were largely down to teething problems with moving exclusively to the newer console generation. The game showed real promise but needed refinement, and hopefully Syndicate delivers that. The characters seem much more interesting, whilst London is the setting I've wanted most (along with Egypt and Japan) for years. Here's hoping it delivers.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    I'm really not sure how I feel about this game.
    Assassins Creed 2 and Revelations both make it into my Top 20 games of all time but 1 and 3 were both depressingly bland and 3 in particular ranks among the biggest gaming disappointments of all time in my mind.

Not to mention how the series then took a bizarre turn when they
    killed off Desmond
    rendering the present time gameplay portions utterly pointless and then decided to go completely off-track from...y'know...assassins, by making Pirates of the Carribean: The Video Game.

And while I relatively enjoyed Unity, there was so much of it that just made me think "this is literally just Assassins Creed 2 but in France", neither the gameplay mechanics nor the graphics had had major overhauls and I feel like this series could really use that, especially with those "follow group X and listen to their conversation but don't get spotted or game over" missions. Seriously... f*** those things.

So I'll wait for reviews to come in before deciding if it's worth my time in this busy holiday season.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've completely lost interest in the series to be honest. It peaked with the excellent AC2 for me but has gone downhill ever since, apart from a brief resurgence with Black Flag, although that was probably because you could just play it as a pirate action/adventure game and ignore all the tedious AC baggage.

I never played Unity and have no intention of getting Syndicate either.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been a big fan of the series from the beginning but I don't think I'll get this on release. Will probably wait a few months till the price drops.

Unity was ok but I enjoyed Rogue more.
    The yearly releases are starting to get a bit much.

I also think they should try and stick with a character for 2 maybe 3 games like they did with Ezio. The continuous flitting between time zones with completely different characters every time just makes you not care too much about what's going on. And the modern day stuff has gotten tedious since the story departed from Desmond.
  • Options
    axe70axe70 Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Been a big fan of the series from the beginning but I don't think I'll get this on release. Will probably wait a few months till the price drops.

Unity was ok but I enjoyed Rogue more.
    The yearly releases are starting to get a bit much.

I also think they should try and stick with a character for 2 maybe 3 games like they did with Ezio. The continuous flitting between time zones with completely different characters every time just makes you not care too much about what's going on. And the modern day stuff has gotten tedious since the story departed from Desmond.
    if they stick with the Frye twins move about twenty years forward you hit
    the jack the ripper era.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axe70 wrote: »
    if they stick with the Frye twins move about twenty years forward you hit
    the jack the ripper era.

They're including JtR as DLC for Syndicate.
  • Options
    Holte139Holte139 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Like a few have said, I'm looking forward to this because it's going to be set in England but after the Unity fiasco I definitely won't be pre-ordering it!
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ps4 preload is downloading!
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Have got this on pre order.

Hoping it comes a day or so early as I'm back to work on Friday. :(
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    It's bizarre, this game has the least amount of hype for any AC game I've seen in a long time, clearly a lot of people felt they got burnt by Unity.

As for the actual game itself, been watching some lets plays on Youtube, same dodgy free running characters where the character runs up a wall he wasn't supposed to, same "poor man Arkham" fight mechanics, very similar graphics to Unity, reportedly featuring bugs similar to those found in pre-patch Unity.... yeah... I'm gonna leave it til Christmas.