Doctor Who - The Bells of Saint John: BBC1 @ 18:15: Episode Discussion

1181920212224»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avidian wrote: »

oooh that could get Kate in then... like that idea...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was already bored after 5 mins of watching. Didnt like the opener one bit.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    oooh that could get Kate in then... like that idea...

It would have been nice if Kate had been in TBoSJ, when the Unit soldiers arrive. I suppose it wouldn't have been worth getting her for such a short scene. I do hope we see her again, though.

Great character in her own right and as a link with the past.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I think this story was the opposite of Power of Three. The Doctor hatched a cunning plan using knowledge and skills he learnt through the entire episode. He cleverly used two bits of the enemy's technology against them and let the main villain undo their own work. Then we found out something about her that was chilling and very sad.

I thought the ending was a nice culmination of things laid out during the story.

Definitely agree with this. TPO3 wasted a lot of time with stuff that didn't really matter, and then the Doc whipped out his sonic and saved the day in about 7 seconds flat. Reviving half the planet from death after billions of heart attacks. Would have been at least 100 times better if the cubes just disappeared one day at the end, leaving a mystery and possible hints at some future return. The star of it was funny and some nice bits there too, but from about half way it just plummeted in 'enjoyment factor' (which is a different scale for each individual person obviously).

The Bells just worked all the way through. The plot tied together, the baddies were stopped in an explained/explainable way, using their own tools against them. The big boss baddie 'escaped', leaving the minions to it. ( That might have all been part of the cunning master plan for the GI- just a way to draw out the Doctor, and/or get him to trust Clara). There's just so much to this episode and it all fits together, with some mystery thrown in to give us something to think about. It also had some very nice and very funny bots to it, with lots of excitement all the way through. For the 45 minutes it was on it seemed to be just perfect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :)Oneee word celia imire stoleee the show , clara is soo cchilled , not bothering to worry about the dr as other people did ax
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    loved it, fantastic start and am loving the new companion clara, one thing i wil never look at the shard in the same way :eek:
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Shard is unusual, how many floors are there?:confused:
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    The Shard is unusual, how many floors are there?:confused:

72 floors. :)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    72 floors. :)
    that is a lot of stairs:D
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only good thing about this episode IMO is Clara. She is such an improvement from that winying Scottish **** Pond.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something in the wi-fi equals something in the tv signals equals an updated rehash of The Idiots Lantern (one of the worst stories ever made IMHO). The difference is that this was slightly better.
  • Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with arriving late to the party is that everyone has drunk all the booze and said everything there is to say - I must try to post on the episode thread earlier in future. :p

All I have to add is that when the Doctor said he couldn't fly the plane, I thought - even John Travolta can fly a plane. :p
    Funnily enough, later on in the cafe when he was quizzing Clara on why she was a nanny and why she wasn't doing young things with young people, the Doctor treated her to some Saturday Night Fever moves, supposedly to demonstrate the things that young people do.
    John Travolta is better at that as well. :D

I enjoyed the episode, loved seeing the Doctor on a Triumph.
    I liked the bit when Clara appeared at the window and said to the Doctor "What did I miss?" - a faint echo of Donna in those words, that's what I chose to take from it, whether it was intended or not.
    The episode was RTD-esque in my view, a bonus for me.
    Matt was warm, dynamic and FUNNY. I think it's the humour that keeps the show fresh for me.

Btw, I went to the larder to sniff some jammie dodgers and they don't actually smell that nice. He's weird, that Doctor bloke. :p