Options

Landscape launches 1080p HD channel

Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
But before you get all excited not on Freesat - the Humax for one doesn't handle the 1080p resolution. Do any Freesat boxes? Initially it will be available only through their 'cloud' platform to IPTV distributors.But it shows that some broadcasters are moving the goal posts.
Because of the extra bandwidth required I doubt if it will become a common format in the short-term.

http://www.landscapehd.com/index.php?page=march-28th-2011

Comments

• Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But before you get all excited not on Freesat - the Humax for one doesn't handle the 1080p resolution. Do any Freesat boxes? Initially it will be available only through their 'cloud' platform to IPTV distributors.But it shows that some broadcasters are moving the goal posts.
    Because of the extra bandwidth required I doubt if it will become a common format in the short-term.

Isn't it being broadcast via IP and not satellite?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like this quote from the link.
    There are 150 million HD ready televisions in Europe, but only 8m in pay television packages.

JO
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Isn't it being broadcast via IP and not satellite?

Yes. They have a few hours a day on Info/Showcase TV although I doubt they'll be launching HD channels ;)
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could I ask then why this post is on the Freesat forum?
    It is nothing to do with satellite or Freesat and should be moved to the IPTV forum.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    janet owen wrote: »
    I like this quote from the link.
    There are 150 million HD ready televisions in Europe, but only 8m in pay television packages.

JO

And I bet the majority of them believe they're watching in HD anyway!!
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    And I bet the majority of them believe they're watching in HD anyway!!

And, presumably, they are quite happy which only goes to show that, in reality, HD is a bit of a non event for the vast majority of people.
  • Options
    BadvokBadvok Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - the Humax for one doesn't handle the 1080p resolution.
    1080p?? There seems to be something missing from your post that is needed to make it meaningful. So far as I'm aware the Humax does handle 1080p25 transmitted via a 1080i50 stream OK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit confusing... im guessing this is 1080p24 and that is really the same as 1080i50 i terms of bandwith.