NO NO NO to UK i want US weather site

clycly Posts: 1,393
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've a great interest in storm chasing and for years have used the excellent and famous 'The Weather Channel' weather.com site that is based in the US and is mainly concerned with the US, but also covers severe weather globally. I've got many friends in America too

As of today no matter what i do i keep getting taken to a UK version. OMG! useless and of no interest to me. I even click USA at the bottom of the page where it lists international sites but it takes me to the UK page.

The UK has no interest for me we don't have hurricanes and tornados etc.

Does anyone know if i can use the hosts file to redirect any attempt at taking me to the UK page and force it to the US one? I know how to block a site in the hosts file but not how to do what i ask above.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cly wrote: »
    I've a great interest in storm chasing and for years have used the excellent and famous 'The Weather Channel' weather.com site that is based in the US and is mainly concerned with the US, but also covers severe weather globally. I've got many friends in America too

As of today no matter what i do i keep getting taken to a UK version. OMG! useless and of no interest to me. I even click USA at the bottom of the page where it lists international sites but it takes me to the UK page.

The UK has no interest for me we don't have hurricanes and tornados etc.

Does anyone know if i can use the hosts file to redirect any attempt at taking me to the UK page and force it to the US one? I know how to block a site in the hosts file but not how to do what i ask above.
    It works for me
    http://www.weather.com/weather/today/USFL0372:1

Are you doing anything odd with cookies?
  • clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It works for me
    http://www.weather.com/weather/today/USFL0372:1

Are you doing anything odd with cookies?

No.

I can get to bookmarked 'sub' url's but not the important home page.

Please can you see what happens if you try

http://www.weather.com
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Loaded English site first but when I picked United States it went to that.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    near the top right of the website there is an option to change language/site.

Click that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    near the top right of the website there is an option to change language/site.

Click that.

Goes to UK page as does the International Sites option at the bottom of the page.

Ok i was overlooking the wording and indeed if i click on "Weather in English (United States)" it then goes to the American version.

But what a nuisance that i'll have to do that every time i want the home (US) page pulling up. I have a html page scripted on my computer that has severe weather related sites and media and not being able to script in a hard link is annoying.

The original link i've got coded and the link it eventually ends up at after redirecting initially to the UK page is the simple 'www.weather.com'. I'll have to have a look into the source code and use F12 in IE, Google Chrome and Firefox to see if i can spot a url that takes me direct to the US page. Or maybe URL Snooper, Ping Plotter or Windows Power Shell might help me out.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    try this-
    http://www.weather.com/life/profile

Add the USA location as your profile?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took me to the UK version, but it gave me the weather for different parts of America when I typed in the location I wanted.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Loaded English site first but when I picked United States it went to that.

Yeah, same here.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    If you are that interested in severe weather and storm chasing in the states try looking at some non commercial sites Ie the Storm Prediction Center www.spc.noaa.gov they have everything you need.

Depends if you want to forecast the storms for yourself or just get someone to tell you where they might be!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    If you are that interested in severe weather and storm chasing in the states try looking at some non commercial sites Ie the Storm Prediction Center www.spc.noaa.gov they have everything you need.

Depends if you want to forecast the storms for yourself or just get someone to tell you where they might be!

Thanks for the tip but i've got absolutely everything set up for severe weather spells.

I've scripted two html pages on my computer and written batch files etc. The weather site main page is just a link. I have emergency service and rescue scanners, maps, a myriad of radars and meteorology both near to ground and high in the atmosphere, live streaming video and audio from storm chaser cars etc all open up.

Local online US TV stations and local media sites generally plus social media for any given locality are all available at the press of a key. As for the weather site i have ALL their maps open up on a single page (resized) plus other data from around the internet both government, commercial and private.

I've even embedded Google and Wikipedia searches plus other similar sites search boxes such as the 'Time & Date' sites ones at the top of the page.

Basically, all i need to correct the situation is to be able to save a bookmark for the main USA weather page - as in one that doesn't divert to the UK one. All the sub pages and maps still work, but not the home page.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »

Their aircraft & crew featured on an episode of Great Planes on Yesterday the other day. It might still be on Sky on demand.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Trying to find a way to access the US site by lowering my security settings I got a locked by the Police virus. Never had a virus before but got rid easily (thank goodness).

I tried by hook and by crook but the problem is it's picking up my UK ip address. I reckon that if you find a public proxy based in the USA that would solve the problem...but I'll let you do it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »

Anything with a url after the main home page address i'll already have linked to. Like i say it's the basic raw url of the home page i need to bookmark.
    evil c wrote: »
    Trying to find a way to access the US site by lowering my security settings I got a locked by the Police virus. Never had a virus before but got rid easily (thank goodness).

I tried by hook and by crook but the problem is it's picking up my UK ip address. I reckon that if you find a public proxy based in the USA that would solve the problem...but I'll let you do it!

WIsh you hadn't done that, but pleased to hear you're ok. I wouldn't lower my security setting to test anything to be honest.

Yeah i realize the problem is that it's acting on the UK url but there are often ways around that without the 'dangers' inherent in using a proxy.

For example, some geographical restrictions can be worked around by the stunningly simple trick of visiting it through Google Translate or accessing it via various search sites or other portals and once you are in you are in.

Come to think of it i may try the Google Translate or via another third party way after. You just set up the url for Translate/whatever and append the various parameters that get attached as if doing a search through them.

UPDATE
    Google Translate seems to have come on a lot since i last used that method years ago. It now tells you the page is already in English, or if starting off from say the German home page it does show it in English but also starts of with the UK map ouch lol. Haven't got time right now to try other ways but i not given up.

Incidentally i have contacted them and instead of just an automated reply have had my request passed on further up the chain at Weather.com.

I still wonder if the easiest method will be if i can use the hosts file and somehow redirect the uk.weather.com to the US home page.
  • Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using the side language form it sent me to the USA homepage as one of the topics were "Do you live in one of USA's fattest states?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using the side language form it sent me to the USA homepage as one of the topics were "Do you live in one of USA's fattest states?"

Yeah but......do you have a solution to trying to avoid multiple steps to get to the US homepage?