Leaving a dog overnight, would you ever do it ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
We've been invited to stay overnight at a friends house 60 miles away next week and have said no because we have a dog.
But now my husband is wondering if we can do it and thinks we could :
leave her with the run of the kitchen and utlity rooms ( v.large rooms )
with light on, heating on timer, plenty of extra food/water/toys and get a local friend to come in twice to walk her and sit with her for a while- she would be on her own from 2pm one day until about 9am the following day. Would you do this, or not ?

Comments

• stevejk75stevejk75 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would never leave my two labs on their own overnight.
    Please, dont even consider it.
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    yeah sure.

She sounds like she'd have everything she needs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    My husband looks at it from this point of view :
    in kennels, she would be left alone at night in a more confined space than our kitchen/utility room

She's a very calm natured chihuahua and not destructive or yappy- and doesn't need lots of exercise.

I would still feel guilty leaving her, even though I know she would be fine !
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meljduk wrote: »
    in kennels, she would be left alone at night in a more confined space than our kitchen/utility room

She's a very calm natured chihuahua and not destructive or yappy- and doesn't need lots of exercise.

We have a 4 year old choc lab and would never consider leaving him alone in the house overnight.

I know as you say he would be alone in a kennel but staff would be around should dog need something.

Please talk hubbby round you would never forgive youself if something went wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never leave a dog overnight.

Is there no way that you could take her with you? Or she could stay at your friends house?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Nope I'd never leave me dog or any dog alone overnight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont think its very fair but saying that shes a small dog, with lots of room, everything she needs, and you could maybe put the tv on for her too.

i wouldnt leave my dogs overnight, but then again one yaps and one howls whenever we go out.
    Forum Member
    just out of interest, for those of you who wouldn't leave their dog home alone, what happens when you go to work ?
    I only work part time ( am Mother of two ) but the dog is home alone then for a few hours here and there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont have a dog but i would never leave one alone. I dog walk for a neighbour and cat sit as well. If they go out for more than i couple of ours i check the dogs and let them out for a wee. Just say you are delayed what would happen then
    Forum Member
    so even if we have a local friend whose happy to come in and sit with her for an hour or two, let her out, play with her... never ever leave a dog alone, ever ?!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I must be a bad owner then as I left my dog alone for nearly 17 hours once, big family emergency, all was fine, he pee'd on the paper I'd put down for him and probably slept the rest of the time, I really don't see a problem with it especially if you have a friend calling in!
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you have someone who will come round, i don't see any problem to be fair so long as they do it regularly and it's last thing at night, first thing in the morning the pooch gets company and let out
    most peoples arguments are probably that it's unusual to leave them alone at night
    but basically if your helper can come see him at those times, it's not much different to you going to sleep
    just leave her the TV or radio on
    through the day we leave our two collies in the house, they have been left one or two nights too (as my sister works nights) and it didn't do them any harm

it ould be a lot better ig you could take the dog with you though, in a travel crate etc.

it's hardly as if its a great dane going to bound about & wreck your friends house now is it :D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love chihuahuas. They're so delicate. I think she'd be okay in your house - I mean dogs can't tell the time can they, so she wouldn't know she was on her own overnight in any grand scheme of things.

I'd want to take her though - I mean you could put her in your pocket practically. If I was your friend who'd invited you I'd want to see the dog too.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, i wouldnt leave my dogs alone overnight.

I have to leave my dogs on Boxing Day during the day, and im crippled with guilt. If im off work, the dogs are with me. I hate leaving them. But i have no choice.

I will be counting the minutes until im reunited with them, armed with presents from my parents (so im sure they will forgive me). But i will be home by 6pm in time for their tea. I couldnt leave them overnight.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my neighbours appear to do it all the time all day and all night i really dont like them
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just out of interest, for those of you who wouldn't leave their dog home alone, what happens when you go to work ?
    I only work part time ( am Mother of two ) but the dog is home alone then for a few hours here and there.

I work from home....we would never have got a dog that we would have to leave alone all day..the longest Oscar is left is 4/5 hours.

And that is on very rare occasions.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Firstly, i bought two dogs so when alone they can keep one another company.

I work full time 9-5pm Mon - Fri, but my husband works shifts. He has two days off in the week as he works weekends. The other three days he starts work at 1pm. So the dogs are left alone for 4hrs three days a week.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I wouldnt leave my dog overnight, I would be too worried about him

I never leave him more than a couple of hours, if I am going to be away longer I leave him with my parents who live close by....and if I an caught out longer than I expect to be, my parents have a key so they can go and collect him..we do the same for them with their dog
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my husband had a stroke I was with him and we were taken to the hospital, I never made it home from 1pm to 10am the next day, worried sick about him and the dogs stuck at home - when I got home they greeted me like I had been away weeks but apart from pooing and weeing in the living room they had actually been very good.

I would never do it again though unless I had a similar problem.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I would not leave a dog overnight. They are social animals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I Would say no but when u consider you say someone would be checking in on it twice i think thats fine.
  • goldenhatgoldenhat Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    We have friends staying the night on Sun/Mon, they are bringing their dog, they wouldn't dream of not bringing her, and we would never refuse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    The fact that you have a freind available to go over and check on them, i don't really see it as being to much of an issue as long as it's a one off thing.

Personally, my concern would be the dog doing something that could harm themselves. My dog is totally calm in the house and is perfectly behaved when left alone so i don't fear for her safety if i go out.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmariex wrote: »
    The fact that you have a friend available to go over and check on them, i don't really see it as being to much of an issue as long as it's a one off thing.

Personally, my concern would be the dog doing something that could harm themselves. My dog is totally calm in the house and is perfectly behaved when left alone so i don't fear for her safety if i go out.
    I agree with you that as a one-off and if someone is going in to let her out a couple of times and maybe to sit with her I don't see a problem. If I was the friend going to let her out, I would probably take her back to my house for the night!

I would much rather leave my dog at home for the night than in a kennel... but if she is so small, can you not take her with you and let her sleep in the car in her bed, if the people you're going to stay with aren't dog-friendly?
  • Binky WinkyBinky Winky Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No she wouldn't be fine. Wht if she wants a wee or a poo. Perhaps before you consider this cruel act the next time you feel the need to go for a wee you should refrain for the next 19 hours.

In kennels she would be let out for a wee or a poo.

I'm disgusted you are even considering the idea. You shouldn't be allowed to keep a pet.