Options

Leaving a dog overnight, would you ever do it ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    No I would not.

Happy to pay for kennels but not alone in the house. It's the possibility of fire/burglars etc that would bother me.

2 nights' kennel accommodation, £20 max. worth it, imho.
    You're lucky getting kennelling that cheap! ;)
  • Options
    misshollandmissholland Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Would never do it.Never.Couldn't.I'd just not go.
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Meljduk wrote: »
    We've been invited to stay overnight at a friends house 60 miles away next week and have said no because we have a dog.
    But now my husband is wondering if we can do it and thinks we could :
    leave her with the run of the kitchen and utlity rooms ( v.large rooms )
    with light on, heating on timer, plenty of extra food/water/toys and get a local friend to come in twice to walk her and sit with her for a while- she would be on her own from 2pm one day until about 9am the following day. Would you do this, or not ?

yeah, i'd leave a dog overnight in that environment. absolutely fine i'd say. maybe hubby can set a webcam up so you can watch him/her from afar :)
  • Options
    bohoboybohoboy Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the reactions of some people on here i'd imagine that they take sleeping shifts with their partners so that their dogs are never left unattended, after all there's still a risk of burglary, house fires, carbon monoxide poisoning, nuclear war with owners at home.

To the OP you're the only one who knows how your dog would react with you gone for a long time but you sound as if you've got it all planned out, a couple of visits for comfort and company breaks sounds fine whilse you'll be gone.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And even if they did that it would be their right to do so, all we have been giving is opinions on what we would do in the circumstances. Problem here is people seem unable to understand all dogs are different and so are all people. Really as you say only the OP knows his/her animal but when you ask for advise/opinions you will get a mixed bag generally and should then make a decision based on them all. If others disagree with my opinionS thats fine but being personal about it does not help IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP can you not either take your dog with you, or ask the person who would be calling in/someone else if they could stay the night?

Like others have said, I'd be worrying far too much and it'd ruin the night out. :o
  • Options
    misshollandmissholland Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    bohoboy wrote: »
    By the reactions of some people on here i'd imagine that they take sleeping shifts with their partners so that their dogs are never left unattended, after all there's still a risk of burglary, house fires, carbon monoxide poisoning, nuclear war with owners at home.

To the OP you're the only one who knows how your dog would react with you gone for a long time but you sound as if you've got it all planned out, a couple of visits for comfort and company breaks sounds fine whilse you'll be gone.

Spot on!Our dogs sleep with us in our bedroom.:)
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on!Our dogs sleep with us in our bedroom.:)

Lol you aren't alone ours do too !

Also another point is it must depend where you live if my dogs bark too much we could be evicted - flat living has it's drawbacks sometimes. But if we were in a remote detached property they could bark their heads off with no worries.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never use a kennel again, id rather my dog stay alone for an evening although the longest we've left him is 3 hours but i would stretch to 5 if we really had to over kennels. Luckily he has a place to go though. I had a dog when i was young who died after spending a night at a kennel (from rat poisen) - he was quite an agressive dog with strangers but really took to the kennel man (he was a good guy was a animal rescue worker), he'd let Willis walk around with him all day as his companion which ultimately led to his demise :( worst thing ive been through in my life. I have bad anxiety over our current dog dying scares the hell out of me sometimes i think it would be easier to never have pets then suffer losing them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No she wouldn't be fine. Wht if she wants a wee or a poo. Perhaps before you consider this cruel act the next time you feel the need to go for a wee you should refrain for the next 19 hours.

In kennels she would be let out for a wee or a poo.

I'm disgusted you are even considering the idea. You shouldn't be allowed to keep a pet.

Since when? They are left to do whatever they need to on their kennel floor which is then cleaned. They're briefly taken out to stretch their legs once a day but certainly never during the night.
    molliepops wrote: »
    Dogs can get up to all sorts if left alone, anything from chewing if they get bored or barking etc I've seen a dog dragged from a house fire too when it was left alone. My dogs (can only speak of my experience) sleep when I leave - if I am gone for just a couple of hours they don't wake up until I get back. If I am gone longer they bark and find things to amuse themselves. I am not suggesting they are like cats so no they won't climb the curtains but they can get up into my window sills and shout at passersby or open the door to the kitchen and raid the bins or open the cupboards and get hold of things they would be better not having.

Other peoples dogs may be angels and not put a paw wrong but I know my dogs and what they can do if they get bored :eek:

The issues you are talking about are behavioural problems caused by separation anxiety. Many but not all dogs have it. Your dogs appear to have a mild case whereby they can be left alone initially but only up to a certain point. Probably to the point they are used to. It's a case of gradually getting them used to longer time if needs be, though you don't really want a dog simply sleeping for eight hours a day if they are going to sleep for eight hours a night too.

With some dogs it's so sever that they can't even be left in full view of their owners while the owners go to pay at the petrol station without chewing the seats or scratching.

That reminds me of a far worse danger than leaving dogs at home. Leaving dogs unattended in cars.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my neighbours have just left their dog overnight they leave the bathroom light on :confused: they make me sick the new dog isnt that old but i think its cruel they wil soon tire of it and buy something else, i cannot stand them