Manchester to Liverpool Driving

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hiya,

Im going to be travelling from Manchester to Liverpool Women's Hospital next Friday morning.

I need to be there for 9, my sat nav says itll take 48 minutes, but ive never done this route before on weekday morning so wondered how much would be added to my journey due to traffic and what the best time to set off would be?

Cheers

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd give yourself a good extra 45 minutes on top of the estimated journey time to account for traffic and give you time to get parked, find your department etc.

Better to arrive early then running late and feeling flustered. Take a book or newspaper just in case you are hanging around.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was me I'd leave at 7am allowing an hour for the journey and a further hour to park, find the dept, have a coffee, etc.

But then I'm always early ;)
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutly hate arriving early (i.e. more than 10 minutes before an appointment) but I think 48 minutes is a tad optamistic. Depending on where you are travelling from in Manchester then I would set off at 7:30 but maybe earlier if you are towards the SE.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you using the M62 or the East Lancs road?
  • sp2782sp2782 Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    If I were you I would save myself the bother and get the train. Cheaper parking and much less stress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sp2782 wrote: »
    If I were you I would save myself the bother and get the train. Cheaper parking and much less stress.

I'd normally agree but Lime Street isn't particularly close to the women's hospital and one could infer that the OP is pregnant which could be more hassle than it's worth.

Plus a peak-time train fare will be through the roof!
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    I'd normally agree but Lime Street isn't particularly close to the women's hospital and one could infer that the OP is pregnant which could be more hassle than it's worth.

Plus a peak-time train fare will be through the roof!

It's not that far, used to do more than that everyday to and from uni. If you get of the train at Edge Hill, it is even closer.

Maybe not practical if the op is (possibly) heavily pregnant just because it is harder to walk, but a woman earlier on in their pregnancy is more than capable of walking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    It's not that far, used to do more than that everyday to and from uni. If you get of the train at Edge Hill, it is even closer.

Maybe not practical if the op is (possibly) heavily pregnant just because it is harder to walk, but a woman earlier on in their pregnancy is more than capable of walking

I hope you don't think I was being derogatory towards women - pregnant or otherwise (I don't think you did!) I used to regularly walk home to Aigburth from the city pissed after a night out (through Toxteth too!)

I agree somewhat with your point but I still think I'd choose to drive over faffing about with changing trains (if driving is an option of course!)

Perhaps the OP is going for an interview for a job at the hospital - I wouldn't want to turn up sweating after two train journeys and a walk!
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have to change? I am sure a train I used to get to Manchester stopped at Edge Hill? Might be wrong (don't live in Liverpool any more).
  • joijijoiji Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use to do the the reverse, Manchester to Liverpool daily basis would give yourself at Least 2 hours and leave home 6:45am if its something thats really important and a dead set time. It does take 45mins but not in rush hour traffic it can be a nightmare.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd set off at 7. Yep you may arrive early but that's better than getting stuck in the rush hour traffic in the morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank-you for all the advice and replies, especially love everyone speculating about what I may be attending for, just to let you know i'm not pregnant (as far as i'm aware:o:D) and not going for a job interview ;)

My appointment is actually at 9:30 but I want to be there for 9 just so i'm not rushing and stressed, so i'm going to set off about 7am.

Thank-you again :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to let you know that I set off at 7 and arrived by ten past eight so had absolutely plenty of time to find a parking space and have a drink which meant whilst I was early I wasn't stressed rushing about. So thank-you all :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did it go. Did you hit the HORRENDOUS traffic on edge lane?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    No LisaBR123, she was brighter than that!

Hopefully, she turned left at bottom of M62, onto Queens drive - down to Allerton rd, then right, and progressed to town along Smithdown road, Top of Lodge land, straight accross - jobs a good un.

How hard can it be! :D:D:p