2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I figured that I would go ahead and start the 2013 thread for all of the 2013 Classic Series DVD releases, so here it is.

At the moment, we don't have any confirmed dates as of yet for 2013, but all of the following titles:

Shada
Terror of the Zygons
The Mind of Evil
The Reign of Terror

are all listed as being "In Preparation" on the Doctor Who official release site. This should mean 2013 releases for them.

Comments

• grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently new dwm lists the following. Legacy first (confirms video edit) Reign end of Jan, Ark In Space SE feb, Aztecs SE (with galaxy 4 ep3 as extra) March.

Also confirmed Zygons and Spearhead Bluray for June
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My copy of dwm just arrived.

Legacy box (shada/more than 30 years doc): 7 jan

Reign of terror: 28 Jan

Ark in space SE: 18 feb

The Aztecs SE (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): 11 mar

Terror of the Zygons: 25 jun

Spearhead blu ray: ?? Jun. Also includes exclusive biog of jon pertwee and obit of caroline John
  • brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »

Looking forward to all of these so much! Zygons finally has a release date! :D:D

Glad they're doing an Ark in Space special edition too - I always like the "making of" extras on the DVDs and, of course, the original Ark in Space release was a bit light on these.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Aztecs SE (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): 11 mar :mad:

I was hoping Galaxy 4 - Airlock would be in with Tenth Planet, I might have got it on release if it had been. Now I don't now when or if I'll get to see it as I'm loathed to re-buy Aztecs just to get the rediscovered episode. Very cynical decision by BBC Worldwide to pair it with a special edition when their is still one unreleased Hartnell story.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spearhead blu ray: ?? Jun. Also includes exclusive biog of jon pertwee and obit of caroline John

Yay another version of Spearhead, just what every fans wants.

So there is the Spearhead DVD, the copy you were forced to own if you wanted Terror of the Autons and a now a blu ray version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    The Aztecs SE (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): 11 mar :mad:

I was hoping Galaxy 4 - Airlock would be in with Tenth Planet, I might have got it on release if it had been. Now I don't now when or if I'll get to see it as I'm loathed to re-buy Aztecs just to get the rediscovered episode. Very cynical decision by BBC Worldwide to pair it with a special edition when their is still one unreleased Hartnell story.

Look on the bright side at least its due in the next 5 months. If it was on tenth planet it might not be due out till this time next year. Better to wait 5 months than a year
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »

So there is the Spearhead DVD, the copy you were forced to own if you wanted Terror of the Autons and a now a blu ray version.

Got to admit at first i groaned at the idea but the exclusive jon and caroline documentaries have certainly got me tempted
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Further to my comments on this, I can't see the difference between DVD and blu ray anyway, but my eyes are bad and I know some people can. However but is there any noticable difference between the two when it comes to a show like Doctor Who, which wasn't filmed in very high definition in the first place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further to my comments on this, I can't see the difference between DVD and blu ray anyway, but my eyes are bad and I know some people can. However but is there any noticable difference between the two when it comes to a show like Doctor Who, which wasn't filmed in very high definition in the first place?

Spearhead was recorded completly on 16 mm film. The only story of its original run that was. Dwm describes spearhead as the only title from the original 63 to 89 run that can be released in a high defininition format
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spearhead was recorded completly on 16 mm film. The only story of its original run that was. Dwm describes spearhead as the only title from the original 63 to 89 run that can be released in a genuinely not ripping the fans off with interpolated 625 line way high defininition format

There. Fixed that for you. ;)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Definitely want the Legacy boxset.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I for one won't be buying Spearhead on blu-ray for 3 main reasons:

1. There won't be that much of a difference in quality
    2. The 2011 DVD release is perfectly fine to me and was a massive improvement over the crappy 2001 release!
    And
    3. A lone blu-ray box sticking out amongst a whole DVD collection would look stupid!

On a different note, I find it odd that Terror of the Zygons isn't being released until June next year when all the extras have been passed by the BBFC (and I'm pretty sure restoration work is finished), I was expecting it between February and March!:mad: But at least it finally has a release date after all these years I've been waiting for it!:cool:
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Extras for Terror of the Zygons? Does this include deleted scenes? I've always found the Zygons to be amongst the scariest of the monsters.

Actually, have we had a scariest Dr. Who character/monster poll?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    Really? Extras for Terror of the Zygons? Does this include deleted scenes? I've always found the Zygons to be amongst the scariest of the monsters

It didn't list the extras for Zygons, just said 25th June.
  • slider28slider28 Posts: 75
    Forum Member

Are those US or UK release dates?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

That's my birthday present from my sister sorted out then!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slider28 wrote: »

Are those US or UK release dates?

UK. (Plus Spearhead blu in June)
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really cannot understand why galaxy 4 and underwater menace are not being released together.it sort of dilutes the thrill of the discovery of the two missing episodes which was quite some time ago now.feel totally cheated by galaxy 4 being released with the aztecs forcing me to buy this release to keep my collection complete.my old copy of aztecs will be on its way to cex or cash generator tomorrow while it still has some value.i am boycotting the rest of the special edition re-releases as my own protest at this decision.spearhead from space blu ray?no chance as i have bought this story 4 times already:(
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    There is no point releasing the 2 together on a seperate DVD IMO, it would look and feel hollow in my collection because, as I put my Dvds in story order, the dvd would have nowhere to go, and I would put it at the back, seperately, and only watch it on rare occasions. Without the complete stories, the 2 found episodes remain curios or oddities, giving me an insight or a glimpse of the story and not the full story itself. The Dvd release of the 2 together would lack substance.

Surely, the 2 might have worked better as extras on the Legacy boxset?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They presumably think anyone who is a hardcore enough fan to want to see Airlock will be willing to pay for The Aztecs again.

The dvds go down to about £8 on amazon 6 months after release if you were prepared to wait.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would rather have seen them on a lost in time 2 dvd or lost in time revisited than this.releasing galaxy 4 ep 3 and not the underwater menace 2 makes no sense whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who-Fan63 wrote: »
    I for one won't be buying Spearhead on blu-ray for 3 main reasons:

1. There won't be that much of a difference in quality
    2. The 2011 DVD release is perfectly fine to me and was a massive improvement over the crappy 2001 release!
    And
    3. A lone blu-ray box sticking out amongst a whole DVD collection would look stupid!

On a different note, I find it odd that Terror of the Zygons isn't being released until June next year when all the extras have been passed by the BBFC (and I'm pretty sure restoration work is finished), I was expecting it between February and March!:mad: But at least it finally has a release date after all these years I've been waiting for it!:cool:

Apparently spearhead blu ray will be a brand new transfer which looks even better than the dvd.Simple solution to point 3 is just put the blu ray disc into the dvd box or keep them seperatly

Just because something has passed the bbfc doesnt mean the release is imminit. Extras for twin dilema was passed about a year prior to its release so its not a guarantee its due soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no point releasing the 2 together on a seperate DVD IMO, it would look and feel hollow in my collection because, as I put my Dvds in story order, the dvd would have nowhere to go, and I would put it at the back, seperately, and only watch it on rare occasions. Without the complete stories, the 2 found episodes remain curios or oddities, giving me an insight or a glimpse of the story and not the full story itself. The Dvd release of the 2 together would lack substance.

Surely, the 2 might have worked better as extras on the Legacy boxset?

The budget would have already been alocated for legacy box at the time of the episode find
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would rather have seen them on a lost in time 2 dvd or lost in time revisited than this.releasing galaxy 4 ep 3 and not the underwater menace 2 makes no sense whatsoever.

They are releasing underwater menace 2 we just dont know where at this moment. I can see 3 possibilities

1. Its getting put on ice warriors
    2. Its getting its own release with part 3 and parts 1 and 4 get filled by animation or some other form of reconstruction
    3. It is going on a revisit of some kind

I know for a fact earlier this year steve roberts ruled out a lost in time 2 or revisit by saying there are no plans
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like legacy box will be a 2 disc set going by this: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-Shada/17623

Extras include:

Shada - Flash version *
    Taken Out of Time
    Now and Then
    Strike! Strike! Strike!
    Being a Girl Women in Doctor Who
    Remembering Nicholas Courtney
    Doctor Who Stories - Peter Purves
    The Lambert Tapes - Part 1 (about founding producer Verity Lambert)
    Those Deadly Divas
    Photo Galleries
    Easter Egg
    PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
    Production Note Subtitles

* flash shada is 2 hours long. Unless its a mistake and its a 3 disc set i cant see live action shada flash shada and more than 30 years all being on 2 discs unless flash shada is a mistake